Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My max tow is right around 5000lbs, had to go across the scales recently for a dump trip
Damn yours is heaver than mine! I think mine loaded is about 4800.

Curb Weight Rubicon 5050 lbs. Sport 4650 lbs. Overland 4720 lbs.
The HA is about 4800 according to online specs
Sponsored

gweitzmantx

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Mohave Gladiator
Occupation
Work
Firmer suspension, and the sticker from the factory.
other than the sticker, I do have lift with what i'd consider better falcons shock and new springs....

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
other than the sticker, I do have lift with what i'd consider better falcons shock and new springs....
Your springs aren't progressive.
My Sport S has EVERY Max tow option except for the 4:10 rear end I don’t tow much so I would rather have the 3:73.
Why? The 4.10 is quicker and higher top speed. You also don't have the wider axles, or progressive springs.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Why? The 4.10 is quicker and higher top speed. You also don't have the wider axles, or progressive springs.
Curious about higher top speed - how's that?
Quicker off the line for sure, and in the quarter mile.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Governor.
The 4.10 is governed over 110 mph?

This is from a 3.73:1 build sheet -

Premium Wrapped I/P Bezel
110mph Vehicle Max Speed Calibration
GPS Navigation
GPS Antenna Input
Heated Front Seats

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer

He could always swap for something like Eibach springs which I believe are all progressive. They make a great product, springs AND shocks. They’re about $800 for parts I believe.

https://eibach.com/us/c-56-car-truck-suv.html

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
He could always swap for something like Eibach springs which I believe are all progressive. They make a great product, springs AND shocks. They’re about $800 for parts I believe.
Yeah, but it still doesn't build a max tow............ It will prevent sag and give a decent ride empty and loaded.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here's something ironic talking about payload and towing -
2021 WK2 Towing 6,200 pounds, payload 1050
That's 200 pounds towing over the Overland JT and about the same payload - and mine is a freakin' TRUCK.
My wife's Grand Cherokee would do a great job towing.
Heck, I'll lay a tarp in the back of her Jeep and use it to haul landscaping stuff.

No, not really - I value my life..........

Sponsored

tommyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
Well, around central Arkansas, you can’t hardly find a new glad with max tow pkg. Here’s my dilemma, I pull a 5100 lb camper with my full size GMC truck. Well, I just retired and I want to purchase a new Glad to pull it with. I’m trying to get rid of one vehicle. I also have a JL that I absolutely Love. So the answer is to condense down to the rag top Glad. But I really want the Rubicon! I don’t want to make a stupid mistake,and buy the Rubicon, only to find out that I should have bought a max tow! Obviously you can’t order the max tow pkg with the Rubicon. I know that the tow rating for the Rubicon is only 6000 lbs. I don’t camp more than 60 miles from my house. What has other Glad owner’s experienced? Thanks
I think you may not be happy going to a Glad from a full size truck when towing. I would be more concerned about that trade off vs max tow/rubicon. Max tow doesn't really turn these things magically into amazing tow rigs irregardless of the tow ratings. I am not sure if you can work out a test pull with a gladiator to see what you think but even with max tow this is still a long and skinny soft sprung jeep truck that doesn't have a ton of displacement. It may work fine for you or it may not feel comfortable with a big heavy camper.

I would seriously find a way to give it a try first before making that move and see what you think.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lol I guess you know more about what my build sheet says than I do. Also do your homework taller gears less top speed
Tall (high) gears have LOWER numerical numbers such as 2.79, 2.90, 3.00, 3.25.
In our case, the tall gears are 3.73

Taller gears are for higher top speed, lower in town RPM. You don't run out of engine RPM, you don't redline as fast with a lower numerical gear ratio (taller gears, high ratio)
Taller gears will not redline at as low a road speed - higher top end.

I had a higher top speed in my 70 Javelin than the guys that raced theirs with lower gear ratios. They ran out of RPM - I didn't (unless they build their engine for higher redlines)

I've had my Overland EASILY up to 100 and could have kept going. The governed speed is 110 and I could have met that.

I had another car with a much lower ratio than my Javelin had and it beat anything my high school friends had off the line but ran out of top end as I redlined the engine and they could keep going.

Don't know how taller gears will limit top speed when you have the engine running slower at the same speed as one with high numerical ratio (low gear ratio)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What is the Mohave missing to give it the 7000lb capacity>
i
It's too heavy. That kills payload capacity. Low payload capacity means low towing capacity. The suspension is too soft also, they built it to ride like a Cadillac.

My max tow is right around 5000lbs, had to go across the scales recently for a dump trip
If that's with you in the truck, that's probably accurate.

My Sport S has EVERY Max tow option except for the 4:10 rear end I don’t tow much so I would rather have the 3:73.
Your Sport S has wide track axles? HD axle shafts? 850 watt cooling fan? 7,650 towing rating? Wider fenders? Trailer hitch zoom mode? 240 watt alternator?

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It's too heavy. That kills payload capacity. Low payload capacity means low towing capacity. The suspension is too soft also, they built it to ride like a Cadillac.

If that's with you in the truck, that's probably accurate.

Your Sport S has wide track axles? HD axle shafts? 850 watt cooling fan? 7,650 towing rating? Wider fenders? Trailer hitch zoom mode? 240 watt alternator?
Sponsored