First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
So again, shouldn’t that give it a higher rating?
Towing capacity for all MT except Rubicon/Mojave : 4000lbs
Towing capacity for Rubicon w/MT: 4500lbs
For Mojave, I know it's advertised has 4500lbs, but with the softer suspension I personnaly would be more conservative...

Do not expect figures any higher than that. 4500lbs is high enough.
Sponsored

ADK Tiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music Teacher
The towing capacity for any MT is except the Rubicon/Mojave is 4000 lbs. The Rubicon/Mojave MT's are rated at 4500 lbs There was a clutch plate overheating recall which is what your dealer was referring to. There is no new MT with any updated towing capacity.

Info on Recall: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...miss-overheating-clutch-pressure-plate.28863/

From Jeeps' site, you can see any Manual transmission (except Rubicon/Mojave which is 4500 lbs) has a towing capacity of 4000 lbs.

https://www.jeep.com/model-compare....2TS|CUJ202011JTJL98D,2TL|CUJ202011JTJP98A,2TG

There's also some towing capacity numbers listed in the spec sheets here (scroll down to page 7 and 8 of the Specifications sheet):

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ecifications-sheet-feature-availability.8468/
Thanks for the info! 4500 is better than 4000. I can forward these to the salesman.

Towing capacity for all MT except Rubicon/Mojave : 4000lbs
Towing capacity for Rubicon w/MT: 4500lbs
For Mojave, I know it's advertised has 4500lbs, but with the softer suspension I personnaly would be more conservative...

Do not expect figures any higher than that. 4500lbs is high enough.
It will be for me. I just need to convince my wife.

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
Thanks for the info! 4500 is better than 4000. I can forward these to the salesman.

It will be for me. I just need to convince my wife.
It's easy: buy it for her.:)

That's what I'll do on my side: I'll keep my 2016 JKUR Hard Rock (made on order) and I will order a JT Rubicon for her, so she can replace her own Jeep (WK). She will only pick the color. That will be in a couple months, once I'm back from deployement. No point for her keeping up 2 Jeep while I'm away ;)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
can anybody tell me why the tow rating drops 2500 lbs for the JTR when you switch from aurmatic transmission to manual transmission?
Same thing on some other make trucks, too. Automatics have more torque taking off due to the torque converter, typically lower gearing, etc. Modern automatics are better for towing.
I know, sticks are "manly" but they aren't the best for towing and haven't been for a while. I could refer back to some 1980s books I have on towing for certain vehicles. The automatic is typically rated better even back then.

Jeep Gladiator Max Tow vs Rubicon for Towing tow-ratings

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Modern automatics are better for everything. WAY better off road. Manuals are still around for people who simply just want it, but they are a downside in every way other than "feel connected to the vehicle." The other reasons for lower tow ratings with a manual are the clutch plates and how they can take slippage and total load, also the shock loads through the entire drivetrain that are added with a manual. The torque converter in an auto makes for much smoother power.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Automatic clutch packs are liquid cooled and lubricated. Yes you can burn them but not so easily on modern boxes. And once engaged, that hydraulic pressure beats spring pressure any day.
I've towed with both and although I love the T5 I have in one of my cars, I like maneuvering my long car hauler through the twists, turns and inclines a lot better with the automatic. A lot less work, get it done faster, and can pull the trailer out of a snowbank a lot easier with this auto. And with the front receiver, turning the car hauler around and parking it is a breeze.
You can still shift an automatic manually and quite a few people will put in manual valve bodies, even reverse shift pattern bodies in their legacy cars to get the feel of doing something but still have the advantage of an automatic.
The numbers are different bigly for a reason.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Looking at the chart above @ShadowsPapa posted above:

I get the auto Rubis and Maxtows with lower gears and wider axles.
Buy why can the auto Overland tow #6000 and an auto Sport non-max tow only tow #4500?
Same axles and gears. ???? The manual tow ratings are the same between the two.
What am I missing?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the chart above @ShadowsPapa posted above:

I get the auto Rubis and Maxtows with lower gears and wider axles.
Buy why can the auto Overland tow #6000 and an auto Sport non-max tow only tow #4500?
Same axles and gears. ???? The manual tow ratings are the same between the two.
What am I missing?
My bet is COOLING - alternator size, etc. for the fans. Of course there's tires, springs and the weight of the vehicle itself as part of the equation. Not just gear ratios and axles.
There were I believe 3 different alternators and fans as well..
The manual ratings would be the same because they are well under what the rest of the truck can do and the cooling system can handle.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
My bet is COOLING - alternator size, etc. for the fans. Of course there's tires, springs and the weight of the vehicle itself as part of the equation. Not just gear ratios and axles.
There were I believe 3 different alternators and fans as well..
The manual ratings would be the same because they are well under what the rest of the truck can do and the cooling system can handle.
I think they could have equipped the autos equally to have the the same #6000 rating.
My mind tells me the bean counters were involved! $$$$

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
The taller tires on Rubi affect the gearing compared to max tow. Also the Rubi with auto is good for 7000 lbs not 6.
Our 2900 lb trailer dry is 4500 lbs with water, gear and beer.

Jeep Gladiator Max Tow vs Rubicon for Towing tow-ratings
Hopefully most of that is beer …….?

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Modern automatics are better for everything. WAY better off road. Manuals are still around for people who simply just want it, but they are a downside in every way other than "feel connected to the vehicle." The other reasons for lower tow ratings with a manual are the clutch plates and how they can take slippage and total load, also the shock loads through the entire drivetrain that are added with a manual. The torque converter in an auto makes for much smoother power.
As one who grew up with "stick shifts" I love the feel of manually shifting but I agree with you about the modern autos being better for everything, especially off road. I've seen in person the kind of mistakes made by people driving sticks that could have cost them their lives when they've stalled out and went into a slide in loose gravel or wet trails. Autos just don't stall, at least I've never been able to stall one. Stalling on a difficult obstacle could cause a catastrophic event.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
If it didn't give up much, I would actually consider a manual. My wife wanted a manual in our first Wrangler just for the fun. It was impossible to find a nice rig with a manual, they were all base models and all around stripped. So I discussed it with Jeep friends and 100% said to get the auto, for all the reasons we've already talked about. No regrets. And now with the 8-speed, the manual looks even more ludicrous in comparison. This transmission is phenomenal, particularly when towing or wheeling in 4-low.

Stalling on a difficult obstacle could cause a catastrophic event.
I recovered one after he turtled because of it, on a very mild obstacle. The stall itself jerked the Jeep over. And on my favorite trail there's a cross where two people died because of a stall and slide from an obstacle. It's not one of those killer obstacles (well until that day), except that a turtle turned into a rollover, and then into a 200' hill roll.

Wife's car has a DCT "manual" but obviously no clutch pedal. That's the ultimate sports car trans. But not as directly fun as a real manual.

First Name
Dwayne Turner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I pulled this trailer from Canton Ga to Charlotte NC and I was very impressed.

GladiatorTowing.jpeg
Sponsored