Metalcloak

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Metalcloak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gladiator
True for us Military folks, but we have to transition to the current market analysis. If the word/s Military Grade/Spec, USGI or Tactical are included in the product description, the manufacturer can add another 15% to their Gross Profit.

BTW, not knocking MC. It is what it is, adjust to your market.
Seriously, though, it IS the actual description in some documentation of the Hard Coat Anodizing we use. Probably it is just so they can charge US more for the process. ;) - Matson

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2022 MK8 GTI
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cube Monkey
Seriously, though, it IS the actual description in some documentation of the Hard Coat Anodizing we use. Probably it is just so they can charge US more for the process. ;) - Matson
The process probably meets/conforms to a MIL-Spec. Not better or worse than any other method.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
Agree. Not to derail your thread, the shocks look like a great product. Hard Coat Anodizing is a perfect finish for shocks. Looking forward to what you have for the Mojave soon.

Sponsored

Redleg37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Sport, 13 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Clinical Chaplain
Yep.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Maybe I should have waited for these - my AEV/Bilstein reservoir shocks already have paint flaking off just after install :swear:

Scott L

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon Gecko
Occupation
Depends who you ask
I am confident these are fantastic, but as a 15 year Army Veteran anything described as "military grade" makes me not want to buy it.

"Military grade" sounds fantastic to civilians, its horrifying to Veterans. The majority of military equipment is made by the lowest bidder; filled with cut corners and usually has very poor customer support from the company that makes it. The best military gear is the gear the military buys off the shelf from the civilian market.
Jeep Gladiator Metalcloak RockSport Blacks - Adjustable Reservoir Shocks - Now Available 1705456698944

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Think 1980's (Reagan Era) Military Grade, LOL, when winning mattered. Of course, you are talking Army... all the real money goes to the Fleet - Go Navy! :LOL: - Matson (12 year Navy Vet)
Umm military grade means
Jeep Gladiator Metalcloak RockSport Blacks - Adjustable Reservoir Shocks - Now Available IMG_5935

so
Jeep Gladiator Metalcloak RockSport Blacks - Adjustable Reservoir Shocks - Now Available IMG_5937

Sponsored

kilroy173

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Tj, Gladiator Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I am confident these are fantastic, but as a 15 year Army Veteran anything described as "military grade" makes me not want to buy it.

"Military grade" sounds fantastic to civilians, its horrifying to Veterans. The majority of military equipment is made by the lowest bidder; filled with cut corners and usually has very poor customer support from the company that makes it. The best military gear is the gear the military buys off the shelf from the civilian market.
As a 13 year Army veteran I could not agree with you more. I laugh when I see things advertised as “military grade.” Great looking shocks though!

OP
OP
Metalcloak

Metalcloak

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Metalcloak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gladiator
Now to get back to the actual tech... our Hard Coat Anodized coating is referred to as MIL-A-8625, Type III.

This is a nationally recognized standardized specification for the highest level of hard coat anodizing that anodizers follow for specific performance requirements.

We use this on every aluminum component on the RockSport Blacks, from the top cap, to the reservoir body, to the shock body, to the adjuster to even the piston... every aluminum component is Hard Coat Anodized inside and out... most are Class 2 (dyed black)... the piston is Class 1 (non-dyed).

As you can infer from the name (MIL), it is a specification developed by the DOD and is used for Aerospace 🚀, Robotics 🤖, Medical 🏥, etc. etc...

Here is a link to an article with some good info: https://www.anoplate.com/finishes/hardcoat-anodize/

And another: https://www.anodizing.org/page/military-spec-anodic-coatings

rubicon4wheeler

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Safety Supervisor
I can't wait to hear how they perform. I have no doubt they will be world-class. I'm confident assuming that these will by my next set of shocks.

Scott L

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon Gecko
Occupation
Depends who you ask
Kinda surprised they're not anodized gold to match your suspension parts.

OP
OP
Metalcloak

Metalcloak

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Metalcloak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gladiator
Kinda surprised they're not anodized gold to match your suspension parts.
:) - Anodized Gold looks more like the cheap goose neck on 80's BMX bike than the quality look that comes from our Gold Zinc Chromate process... trust me, we tried it many years ago when we came out with Double Adjustable Aluminum control arms.... no bueno in Gold. - Matson
Sponsored