Sponsored

Mishimoto R&D: JT Gladiator/JL Wrangler Snorkel + New Product Line!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hey everybody,

We here at Mishimoto are excited to announce that we're launching a new line of products for the off-road community under the Borne Off-Road brand! This new line will combine all of the R&D and attention to detail you've come to expect from Mishimoto products, with the feedback we've heard from our off-road customers over the past 15 years.

To kick off this new brand, we're sharing the R&D behind our first Borne Off-Road product: our 2020+ Gladiator JT/2018+ Wrangler JL snorkel! Check out the posts below to see how we went from concept to product.

The discounted pre-sale for the snorkel is also live on our website, so be sure to check that out and let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks for reading!
-Steve

When we were 16, our cars were our tickets to freedom and endless possibilities. For many of us, those early days of driving were the basis for a lifetime of automotive passion. It didn’t matter if we were driving our dream car or our grandmother’s 1991 Buick Regal, as long as we were behind the wheel with our friends in the back.

Somewhere along the road from 16 to adulthood, we lost that sense of freedom. Room for friends has been replaced by space for the kids and their bikes. Gas mileage now supersedes a killer sound system in the hierarchy of features. “How comfortable will this be on my 45-minute stop-and-go commute,” has taken the place of “Will my crush think I’m cool in this?”

IMG_5751-1.jpg

But growing up doesn’t have to be all car seats and MPGs. Many vehicles, like the 2018+ Jeep Wrangler JL, have the power to make us feel 16 and free from responsibility again. Ever since its great grandfather, the CJ, fought its way back from World War II, the Wrangler has been a symbol of fervent freedom. The Wrangler’s outstanding off-road capability and history of dependability make it ideal for hitting the trail and leaving adulthood behind.

Despite its 76-year history of freeing us from the chains of adulthood, however, the 2018+ Wrangler JL could still benefit from some modification. At Mishimoto, we’ve already developed oil catch cans to keep the JL’s engine clean and performance intakes to extract the most from the air around it. Our next venture will combine the two concepts, keeping the intake clean while you’re blazing new trails and tapping into your inner youth. ...Continue Reading>>>
Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Great to hear you guys are entering this segment!

Do you know if this would mount up and work with KC Hilites Gravity 6 pro light bar?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Great to hear you guys are entering this segment!

Do you know if this would mount up and work with KC Hilites Gravity 6 pro light bar?
Thanks! We're looking forward to bringing you guys more off-road products!

It looks like the KC Gravity 6 replaces the cowl that one of our brackets mounts to, but it's tough to tell if the bracket and tube would still clear. If you have the kit and have some photos of it installed, I might be able to get a better idea.

This is the bracket I'm referring to, it looks like the KC kit replaces this cowl and might cover the upper bolt locations:
Jeep Gladiator Mishimoto R&D: JT Gladiator/JL Wrangler Snorkel + New Product Line! IMG_20200806_103225

Thanks again!
-Steve

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Thanks! We're looking forward to bringing you guys more off-road products!

It looks like the KC Gravity 6 replaces the cowl that one of our brackets mounts to, but it's tough to tell if the bracket and tube would still clear. If you have the kit and have some photos of it installed, I might be able to get a better idea.

This is the bracket I'm referring to, it looks like the KC kit replaces this cowl and might cover the upper bolt locations:
IMG_20200806_103225.jpg

Thanks again!
-Steve
Steve,

The KC bracket goes over top of the cowl so it is possible it could fit.

I have the light bar in question and have been searching like crazy for a snorkel that will work with it (along with many others). I will PM you some pics.

I also live an hour from you guys so if you're tryna fit some stuff... ;););)

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Steve,

The KC bracket goes over top of the cowl so it is possible it could fit.

I have the light bar in question and have been searching like crazy for a snorkel that will work with it (along with many others). I will PM you some pics.

I also live an hour from you guys so if you're tryna fit some stuff... ;););)
Hey Alex,

Interesting! I might be able to get you just the bracket to try out too, everything else looks like it should fit. The snorkel tube and head sit outside of the windshield frame, so I don't think there'd be any clearance issues with the lights themselves.

I'll let you know if I can get you a bracket or have you come by for a quick test-fit. We're still trying to limit visitors due to COVID, so in person might be tricky.

Thanks!
-Steve

Sponsored

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
Does it fit the Mojave hood?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to let you all know that the discounted pre-sale for this snorkel is still going and share another look at our R&D process. Check out the behind the scenes video below and feel free to let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
-Steve

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to let you all know that the discounted pre-sale for this snorkel is still going and share another look at our R&D process. Check out the behind the scenes video below and feel free to let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
-Steve
Does the snorkel provide same or better air flow CFM?
I ask as on a previous snorkel installation I removed the snorkel since it actually reduced air flow to the installed super charger.

My future snorkel install will provide improved air flow to a super charger.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Does the snorkel provide same or better air flow CFM?
I ask as on a previous snorkel installation I removed the snorkel since it actually reduced air flow to the installed super charger.

My future snorkel install will provide improved air flow to a super charger.
Hey Dirk,

The snorkel creates a very small increase in restriction. Unless you use a huge diameter tube throughout (probably somewhere in the 7-8" range), adding any length to the intake tract will add some amount of restriction, as you're adding more surface area that creates drag on the air. The same goes for exhaust. The longer the exhaust, the more surface area and the more restriction from drag.

In the real world, the added restriction from the snorkel is negligible and is much better than the restriction caused by a dirty filter or sucking in water.

Thanks,
-Steve

Sponsored

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Hey Dirk,

The snorkel creates a very small increase in restriction. Unless you use a huge diameter tube throughout (probably somewhere in the 7-8" range), adding any length to the intake tract will add some amount of restriction, as you're adding more surface area that creates drag on the air. The same goes for exhaust. The longer the exhaust, the more surface area and the more restriction from drag.

In the real world, the added restriction from the snorkel is negligible and is much better than the restriction caused by a dirty filter or sucking in water.

Thanks,
-Steve
You had me until “cut the hood” looks nice though.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Hey Dirk,

Thanks,
-Steve
Thanks for the response.
I ask about performance as there is a competitor's product which states the tube system exceeds CFM requirements.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
You had me until “cut the hood” looks nice though.
Thanks! Unfortunately we had to make that tough choice between cutting the hood and ensuring adequate flow. In the end, we obviously chose flow.

Thanks for the response.
I ask about performance as there is a competitor's product which states the tube system exceeds CFM requirements.
No problem. If "exceeds CFM requirements" is actually how it's worded, that's a very vague statement. The OEM intake with a very dirty filter would exceeds the minimum CFM requirements to run the engine, so it really depends on what "requirements" their referring to.

Thanks,
-Steve

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
Hey Steve - you guys sponsored me when I had an STi built for autocross. Good to see you you in Jeepville as well!

CE7A8F7F-01DC-4F63-8468-C74525169C77.jpeg

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hey Steve - you guys sponsored me when I had an STi built for autocross. Good to see you you in Jeepville as well!

Jeep Gladiator Mishimoto R&D: JT Gladiator/JL Wrangler Snorkel + New Product Line! CE7A8F7F-01DC-4F63-8468-C74525169C77
Nice! It's interesting to see how much cross-over there is from our Subaru customers to the JL/JT.

Thanks!
-Steve
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.