Mods no effect on 6 speed

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The manual transmission on the JL/JT is a practice of patience and tolerance, in any form. From the strange gearing, to the oem tune. It’s not a great pairing. But to each their own.
To each their own indeed. I enjoy the pairing. What's "great" is a matter of personal opinion, but I do find it to be a "great," rewarding pairing. I haven't noticed any more need for patience and tolerance in the JT with Manual Transmission than with any of the other manual equipped vehicles I've owned. Is the gearing different? Sure. But then they all are. Is the clutch different? Yes, but every vehicle on earth with a manual transmission has a different clutch feel. It took me all of maybe 7 minutes to acclimate to. The clutch is much softer than in our current JK. But so what? It's firmer than in my old GLI. Both are softer than my STI. It's softer than the old TJ. I could go down the MT list, but they are all different, and the JT is no worse than any of the others. I actually think the shifter itself on the JT is among the best I've driven, even when compared to performance cars. Any one of them could be easily driven, they are just different form one another, and take a couple of minutes to get used to.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have your Jeep reflashed or whatever for the clutch recall, too? I think it was to reduce the torque output as to not burn up the clutch or something...
It only reduces torque once you already start burning up the clutch, and it shows a message when it's doing so. I've never seen the message, so I think it's something most won't ever have happen. If you do see it, you'll probably be glad it's doing so. Otherwise there's no difference before or after recall on performance. After the recall, other than the gear position indicator being present, you won't notice a difference on or off-road.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Man my Black Rhinos are heavy as hell. Damn near close to 40 pounds a rim.

Went to 37 12.5 17s w black rhino 8.5 rims only picked up 5 lbs per corner. No appreciable loss of power. 2.5 inch lift not even close to rub at full turn. Don’t know what all the hoopla is if you have a manual.

22D4A748-D735-41AE-BA0D-76FF08669A6F.jpeg

A0634AEE-8FB7-4B95-B0A2-7A2E88081E2A.jpeg

10161276-D7C7-46A7-9892-B148F66E4A36.jpeg

1C8D3AB2-48C2-4F60-B233-B53D7C34C601.jpeg

OP
OP
COwens

COwens

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Man my Black Rhinos are heavy as hell. Damn near close to 40 pounds a rim.
29 lbs check out the empty space in the rim face ties weigh 69 lbs same as Falken 33s. So 5 lbs per corner. Plus, total bet gain on the bumper and winch only 125. So, not seeing a difference much at all.

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
I have the same tires and similar wheels on a rubicon automatic. I have a lot of hills in my area. It wasn't a dramatic negative impact but was noticeable. About four weeks ago I did 5.13s. Even on surface streets I am almost always in 8th and rarely kick down below 6th unless I stomp on it. In daily driving I have picked up around 3.5 mpg. Obviously the difference between manual and automatic are significant but after the gears the feel is much improved. When visiting my parents in the north georgia mountains(small hill like structures to those of you with the tall things with the frozen white stuff on top) the part of my brain that contains mechanical sympathy feels much more relaxed. I am very happy with the change in driving dynamics.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
To each their own indeed. I enjoy the pairing. What's "great" is a matter of personal opinion, but I do find it to be a "great," rewarding pairing. I haven't noticed any more need for patience and tolerance in the JT with Manual Transmission than with any of the other manual equipped vehicles I've owned. Is the gearing different? Sure. But then they all are. Is the clutch different? Yes, but every vehicle on earth with a manual transmission has a different clutch feel. It took me all of maybe 7 minutes to acclimate to. The clutch is much softer than in our current JK. But so what? It's firmer than in my old GLI. Both are softer than my STI. It's softer than the old TJ. I could go down the MT list, but they are all different, and the JT is no worse than any of the others. I actually think the shifter itself on the JT is among the best I've driven, even when compared to performance cars. Any one of them could be easily driven, they are just different form one another, and take a couple of minutes to get used to.
I agree it is a very easy manual transmission vehicle to drive. The clutch is light and the throws are easy. It’s mostly the gearing. If you drive in 4th-6th gear between 1.5k and 2.5k rpms, you get a strange pulsing. If you don’t mind thrashing the motor and driving it harder, I could see someone enjoying a manual JL/JT.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I agree it is a very easy manual transmission vehicle to drive. The clutch is light and the throws are easy. It’s mostly the gearing. If you drive in 4th-6th gear between 1.5k and 2.5k rpms, you get a strange pulsing. If you don’t mind thrashing the motor and driving it harder, I could see someone enjoying a manual JL/JT.
On the other hand, seeing some of the complaints I've seen, I think a few people tend to baby their Gladiators with the manual. They need to wind them up higher before shifting so they aren't lugging them in the next gear. These are made to wind up.

OP
OP
COwens

COwens

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
On the other hand, seeing some of the complaints I've seen, I think a few people tend to baby their Gladiators with the manual. They need to wind them up higher before shifting so they aren't lugging them in the next gear. These are made to wind up.
Absolutely. The power band is 2 to 4k rpm that’s nothing and works just fine

CableTVGuy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JLU
I love having the 6 speed but am I the only one that finds the RPM hang to be a complete pain? Have driven stick shifts since 1980 but for this vehicle I had to change how I drove sticks just to account for the RPM hang.

Love to hear others thoughts...

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I love having the 6 speed but am I the only one that finds the RPM hang to be a complete pain? Have driven stick shifts since 1980 but for this vehicle I had to change how I drove sticks just to account for the RPM hang.

Definitely need to get used to the drive by wire delay/hang. I’m used to it now

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

There is another thread about the rev hang, but basically it's a trait of all modern manual transmissions, and you'll get used to it fairly quickly, and learn to avoid the rev hang (use no pressure on the accelerator when pressing on the clutch to shift, and don't touch the accelerator until the clutch starts to engage when completing your shift). On my VW, it was much worse. I've only noticed it once or twice on the JT, but I was already used to it from the last car.

Last edited:

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I never run less than 2k except stopped and take off obviously. I wouldn't go 1.5k in this, that's got to be painful, they like to twist up a little bit.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Absolutely. The power band is 2 to 4k rpm that’s nothing and works just fine
I definitely wind mine up... sometimes I even coast in 3rd gear @ 3000+ RPMS.

I will say moving from 33" to 37" (with 4.10) has changed "where" my shift points are and I'm still learning a bit. Especially from 2nd -> 3rd it feels like I need to go well into 3000 RPM range before going into 3rd or I'm out of the power band when 3rd engages (sub 2000 RPM). This is felt mostly on steep hills.

I also find myself at 75 MPH in 4th gear quite often.

As others have said, 6th gear is gone but I don't mind. I would have been happy with a correctly-spaced 5-speed over a tall OD 6th.

I've thought about swapping the ASIN for a 5-speed Tremec and new clutch... not sure if the Tremec will fit.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS

I also have a weird issue related to Park Assist. When backing down my driveway, which is a 10% grade, I "exceed" the speed that Park Assist wants and I get a "ding" and a warning on my cluster that Park Assist is disengaged. But... then the engine RPM climbs to 2000 RPM all by itself and remains there until I move out of Reverse back into 1st.

Anyone else experience this?

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
100%. I noticed that in the shifts up to second, third and 4th I need to be above 3200RPM to have the revs stay above 2100RPM after the shift - I think this is about where the VVT switch occurs. The problem is that 3200RPM in 3rd is about 55mph (I have a JTR on 35s with stock 4.10 gears). The point is that if you want to avoid bogging the 6MT or have any decent acceleration you spend a lot of time in 3rd and 4th around town. I never get into 6th (other than flat land cruising) below 60mph, and if there is a head wind forget it.
Sponsored