Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I thought so too until I drove the Mojave - not a Cadillac but pretty plush for a Jeep! Drive one and see if you don't agree. :rock: Be sure to find a rough road with some good potholes...
SHOCKing :like:

Buy a Rubicon and upgrade the shocks and have it all
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Some of the reviews of the ride seem to be the opposite of what I would think, mainly the Rubicon rolls more in turns and the ride is rougher, those two characteristics are opposite I would think, if the Mojave has softer springs and shocks it should roll more on turns it also has thinner roll bars I believe I read somewhere which would also make it roll more.

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I traded in a Rubicon (JL) for my Gladiator Mojave. The Mojave definitely has less body roll in turns. I think the reason is the much better damping setup in the shocks on the Mojave. If I were to guess what may be different, based on experience tuning UTV shocks, I would say the Mojave shocks have more slow speed compression damping than the Rubicon shocks do. As far as shocks are concerned, low speed compression damping is what controls body roll, front end dive when braking, and other slow speed chassis movements.

Last edited:

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
There isn’t a wrong choice really, but being in the NE I’m certainly not running any deserts I’m more likely rock crawling...that said I also prefer the pedigree of the Rubicon and I also have a Rubicon JL so I like the idea of having two....I don’t mod much, I use them as turn key packages.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
SHOCKing :like:

Buy a Rubicon and upgrade the shocks and have it all
"Have it all..." EXCEPT for the 1" front lift, 1" wider stance, progressive springs, higher speed low range Command-Trac Transfer case (preferable for me), much stronger cast iron steering knuckles and better looking hood (strictly subjective). Just a few things that are significant and are more difficult/expensive to just "upgrade :like: ".
Oh...and I'm less likely to see other Jeeps just like mine everyday.

Anyway...pick what works for you and your plans. As has been said, you really can't lose with either choice and will likely still hang with your buddies in most terrain regardless of which you choose. Own what you buy, enjoy and be safe!

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
  • 1" front lift - :LOL:
  • Progressive springs - Have you looked at how much aftermarket progressive springs cost?
  • Higher speed low range T-case - When are you going to use this? And how is it better than the Rubicon?
  • Cast Iron steering knuckles - Let me know when non-Mojave steering knuckles start failing, please
  • Better looking hood - You know the same can be said about the Rubicon's hood

The shocks, lift and progressive springs are easily and often done.

The Mojave is terrific but if you really compare it to the Rubicon you'll be in a better position to determine which one is best for you (assuming you go off road at all).

As I've said before, if we could do a blindfold test, most people wouldn't know the difference and most people will never need all that either truck can do off road
Everything above goes back to what I've said from the beginning - pick what works for you and your needs. Both have strengths - both have weaknesses. Not sure why you feel the need to "win" the argument. The OP wanted to know the strengths of both and why people chose one over the other - that's what I was trying to convey - why I chose the Mojave. Instead of sharing that from your perspective, you seem to feel the need to show why everyone that didn't line up with your choice is wrong. Or made a bad decision. Or would have been MUCH better off getting what you got and dumping additional cash and time to make it into something that was already available (with a warranty). Oh, and BTW, I guarantee you, I would know the difference in a blindfold test between the ride quality of the two trucks...but that's just me...

In the end, nobody cares what I think...nobody cares what you think. It's just opinions and data points - doesn't matter. Own what you buy, enjoy and be safe.

So...we can let it go or you can flame another reply - regardless, I'm confident in my choice and you in yours. The OP will take the info and make theirs. And if I see you on the road or trail, I'll still wave :rock: ;)

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I haven't driven a Sport, Overland, or High Altitude, though if I had to guess the more road-oriented builds would do it less than a Rubicon.
Has anyone in this thread driven Mojave and Overland back-to-back to compare ride?

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone in this thread driven Mojave and Overland back-to-back to compare ride?
No sir, I haven't but that would be a great comparison as well...I look forward to someone responding...

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
Everything above goes back to what I've said from the beginning - pick what works for you and your needs. Both have strengths - both have weaknesses. Not sure why you feel the need to "win" the argument. The OP wanted to know the strengths of both and why people chose one over the other - that's what I was trying to convey - why I chose the Mojave. Instead of sharing that from your perspective, you seem to feel the need to show why everyone that didn't line up with your choice is wrong. Or made a bad decision. Or would have been MUCH better off getting what you got and dumping additional cash and time to make it into something that was already available (with a warranty). Oh, and BTW, I guarantee you, I would know the difference in a blindfold test between the ride quality of the two trucks...but that's just me...

In the end, nobody cares what I think...nobody cares what you think. It's just opinions and data points - doesn't matter. Own what you buy, enjoy and be safe.

So...we can let it go or you can flame another reply - regardless, I'm confident in my choice and you in yours. The OP will take the info and make theirs. And if I see you on the road or trail, I'll still wave :rock: ;)
I'm glad someone else noticed what I did. I don't understand why anyone feels the need to prove that someone made the wrong choice. I chose the vehicle that works best for me and the one that had the features that I was most interested in. That was the Mojave. The Rubicon is an amazing vehicle and you really can't go wrong with either. But there doesn't seem to be as much love for the new truck in the lineup. The Mojave is truly an amazing vehicle.

Also, I'm with you... I could tell the difference between the two blindfolded with very little trouble.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Why I chose Mojave. Adventure. Most of my "off-roading" is roads, not maintained or occasional maintained dirt and gravel roads. Mountain roads, Backcountry Discovery Routes, Forest Service Roads, logging roads, Mojave Road, El Camino del Diablo, lake and beach front access roads, you get the idea. You'll always find erosion and wash outs for your occasional "rock climbing." I want to explore, experience, rack up some miles, if I have to rock climb to get there so be it, but rock climbing is not my goal or destination. When your in the seat for long periods of time on crappy roads, on your way to paradise, you really appreciate good suspension, in fact your truck and gear also appreciate good suspension. For me the Mojave is perfect, if I thought there was a better adventure vehicle available I would have bought it. Just one man's opinion, maybe totally wrong for someone else.

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with the recent post about being able to tell the difference, almost immediately (like before you have left the parking lot at the dealership). Whatexit does not appear to have driven a Mojave yet. Even the on road the ride quality of the Mojave is much different (better) than other Jeeps.

Two weeks ago I was getting ready to leave on an 8 day trip exploring the Trans America Trail. I wanted my ARB Twin Air compressor that I had taken out of my Rubicon installed in my Mojave, but with 24 hour shifts, I didn't have the time off work to do it myself, before leaving on my trip. So I took the Mojave to a local mechanic I have used multiple times in the past, on several different vehicles. They are excellent with electronic work, and 4x4 work. I picked the Jeep up the day before leaving on my trip, and the mechanic I know said "man, that Jeep sure has a nice suspension". He commented on how impressive the shocks were, and on how well it rode. My first thought was, "why has my mechanic been driving my Jeep, just to install an air compressor?". So I asked him, how do you know the suspension rides better?. Her replied that he had driven it into his shop, and that there was a 1" to 2" lip he has to drive up to get onto the concrete pad inside his shop, coming from the gravel parking lot. He then said "That Jeep rides better than any Jeep I've driven before. Jeep finally got their suspension working really good." I laughed, and said, you can tell that in 30'?. He said yes, it was that obvious. Anyway, just thought that was funny.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.