Mopar Brake Controller not compatible?

CdnGriff

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but where?

2021 Mojave MT with Tow Pkg

Took it in to see if the Mopar brake controller could be fitted. Dealer shop said no. I only have one (1) 4 pin connector and the Mopar requires two (2) 4 pin connectors.

WTF?

Should I just use Redarc? It seems they only need one (1) 4 pin connector.

Either way, I'm very confused as to why my Jeep won't accept the Mopar controller built for this Jeep.
Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Take it to a dealer that knows about controllers. Or read the directions in the package. I ran the REDARC but switched to the mopar after they came out.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder

Took it in to see if the Mopar brake controller could be fitted. Dealer shop said no. I only have one (1) 4 pin connector and the Mopar requires two (2) 4 pin connectors.

WTF?

Either way, I'm very confused as to why my Jeep won't accept the Mopar controller built for this Jeep.
Odds are the dealership doesn't know what they are doing. There is a single four pin connector under the dash for brake controllers to plug into. My Tekonsha Prodigy P2 plugged in no problem using a Tekonsha plug and play harness.

The Mopar knob mounts in the dash and plugs into a control box (which attaches under the dash) and the control box plugs into the single 4 pin harness above the driver kick panel under the dash.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase

WTF?

no it does work, and if you want the fit and finish of the mopar. its worth it. I like/need my cig lighter so i went with redarc and its great too.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Curt Echo works amazing and no wiring needed.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

WTF?

ALL Gladiators have the exact same trailer wiring. They all have the exact same 4 pin plug.
All wired trailer controllers will use those same 4 wires.
The dealer is a dope.

1. Hot (12 volt +)
  2. Ground ( - )
  3. Wire out to the 7 pin connector in the back - which is power to the brake solenoids on the trailer
  4. Brake light signal wire

hepcat

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
I have not looked under my dash, so I don't have first-hand knowledge on this, BUT...

When I ordered my Mopar controller, my dealer's service manager said he needed to see if my Gladiator had one or two plugs under the dash. Apparently they all come with a single 4pin plug, but those with the tow package come with a second plug required for the Mopar controller. Or so the service manager said. As mine came with the tow package, it had both connectors so I was good to go.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I have not looked under my dash, so I don't have first-hand knowledge on this, BUT...

When I ordered my Mopar controller, my dealer's service manager said he needed to see if my Gladiator had one or two plugs under the dash. Apparently they all come with a single 4pin plug, but those with the tow package come with a second plug required for the Mopar controller. Or so the service manager said. As mine came with the tow package, it had both connectors so I was good to go.
My '22 Max Tow (with all the factory tow package you can get) still only has one plug under the dash 🤷‍♂️

hepcat

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
My '22 Max Tow (with all the factory tow package you can get) still only has one plug under the dash 🤷‍♂️
I don't know what to tell you. All I can do is parrot what my dealer's service manager told me.

ON EDIT: I went to do a little searching to see what I could find and according to the blurb about the MOPAR controller on the Quadratec site, it appears that it only uses a single connector anyway, so I'm not sure what the 2 connector fuss is all about? The only limitation is that apparently it is only for trucks with an auto trans....

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/82215652AD-trailer-brake-controller-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt?

Last edited:

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I don't know what to tell you. All I can do is parrot what my dealer's service manager told me.

ON EDIT: I went to do a little searching to see what I could find and according to the blurb about the MOPAR controller on the Quadratec site, it appears that it only uses a single connector anyway, so I'm not sure what the 2 connector fuss is all about? The only limitation is that apparently it is only for trucks with an auto trans....

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/82215652AD-trailer-brake-controller-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt?
Dealers are a wonderful source of incorrect information.

But I digress - as long as your controller works that's all that matters :LOL:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

I have the installation document - there's one connector for the truck. The other goes from the "box" under the dash over to the control knob you install where the 12v outlet was removed.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Brake Controller not compatible? 1716480621036-t5

In this - A goes to the truck harness and B goes to the knob in the dash. (A shows 3 wires but there's 4 in that cable)

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Brake Controller not compatible? 1716480824863-yk

I wonder sometimes if these dealer guys get stuck on installing things for RAM trucks and so on - and have no experience with the controller in a JEEP?!?

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I have the installation document - there's one connector for the truck. The other goes from the "box" under the dash over to the control knob you install where the 12v outlet was removed.

In this - A goes to the truck harness and B goes to the knob in the dash. (A shows 3 wires but there's 4 in that cable)

I wonder sometimes if these dealer guys get stuck on installing things for RAM trucks and so on - and have no experience with the controller in a JEEP?!?
Probably - considering it appears the Mopar RAM controller requires two plugs and does not come with a harness.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3952668909...stOksBFXHJdZzmKoe_6xAcgDWKlEiVFMaAnwQEALw_wcB

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Ram controller actually integrates into the truck's systems, you can change the settings on the screen. So, I'd assume one is the standard plug while the other rides the bus to allow control of the trailer brakes via the truck's own controls.

I've seen this before where the dealer tech says
"we have to flash the Jeep to make the brake controller work".
No, you don't - you worked on a Ram yesterday, didn't you.............

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
The number of incompetent dealership service centers out there is really scary.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The number of incompetent service people out there is really scary.
That's my take. I could tell you things about modern electricians, plumbers and others - some of it really scary.
I will never again hire an outside electrician for anything at all unless I am watching over their shoulder the whole time. I'm lucky our house didn't burn down seeing some of the crap they did when replacing our breaker box about 5 years ago. I'm still cleaning up that crap as I find it. They were "a reputable company" and came "highly recommended" and if i hadn't been there watching them finish up - they'd have left for the day leaving us with no water because they couldn't "figure out what these wires are for".
Dopes, morons.
They busted some of the big PVC conduit fittings for the cable going out to my shop and had one conduit under so much stress on the wrong side of another, I'm surprised it stayed put. I spent a lot of time cleaning up and tightening wire nuts and breaker screws (heard a buzzing - decided, hey, that doesn't sound so good.........)

So when I see "I took it to a reputable shop" I laugh and cringe at the same time.
Just means no one else was smart enough to catch it.
Sponsored