Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That is the correct plug. If it’s not working, the other harness isn’t going to fix that. The harness they are referring to will only run the blue brake controller to the add on he was that comes with the trailer wiring for installing on Wranglers that came without it. If plugging in the controller causes that issue then either the controller is bad or one of the wires got knicked when installing it.
From your window sticker you already have the tow package so there is nothing to add.
Mine also acted funky when first started - but it went really crazy when the button was pressed by accident. No diode in the line. Geesh, after over a year they can't even get that right.
IMO, these things are not ready for prime-time and I suggest anyone who has a working brake controller now, do not remove it! Leave your Curt or Redarc in place until Mopar gets this thing right.
Sponsored

eaklewmd

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Does anyone have a factory unit that is working correctly? Mine is scheduled for install Tuesday. Thanks in advance.

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Does anyone have a factory unit that is working correctly? Mine is scheduled for install Tuesday. Thanks in advance.
I’d like to know too! I just ordered one but maybe I should have one put in thru dealer for warranty to make sure this gets seen thru correctly...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’d like to know too! I just ordered one but maybe I should have one put in thru dealer for warranty to make sure this gets seen thru correctly...
That's a good idea. The problem I have now since I ordered it online and installed myself - I'm screwed, totally. I have no warranty.
IF they come out with a harness to fix the feedback issue, I have to turn around and buy that. That's just plain dumb since this is DEFECTIVE from the get-go.
It's a defect, plain and simple. It was never tested.
The mounting is also a defect, IMO - get it right - which way does it go? Instructions say in 6 places it goes one way yet it's shipped another.
It's a huge screw-up and if I had it to do over, I'd have never ordered it.
Redarc is half the cost, much easier to install and if you use the Ram harness, it works flawlessly.
This offers you nothing other than a headache and the Mopar name (and made in Mexico tags)

You can't even install this in other locations as easily as Curt or Redarc as the cable is made into the control knob and is limited length. With Redarc, ANY Cat5 network cable will do. You could mount the knob 20 feet from the box if you wanted. Further, the Redarc controller can be mounted in a small hole you drill elsewhere, this can't - you are stuck putting it in the 12v outlet spot or making a big hole somewhere.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
That's a good idea. The problem I have now since I ordered it online and installed myself - I'm screwed, totally. I have no warranty.
IF they come out with a harness to fix the feedback issue, I have to turn around and buy that. That's just plain dumb since this is DEFECTIVE from the get-go.
It's a defect, plain and simple. It was never tested.
The mounting is also a defect, IMO - get it right - which way does it go? Instructions say in 6 places it goes one way yet it's shipped another.
It's a huge screw-up and if I had it to do over, I'd have never ordered it.
Redarc is half the cost, much easier to install and if you use the Ram harness, it works flawlessly.
This offers you nothing other than a headache and the Mopar name (and made in Mexico tags)

You can't even install this in other locations as easily as Curt or Redarc as the cable is made into the control knob and is limited length. With Redarc, ANY Cat5 network cable will do. You could mount the knob 20 feet from the box if you wanted. Further, the Redarc controller can be mounted in a small hole you drill elsewhere, this can't - you are stuck putting it in the 12v outlet spot or making a big hole somewhere.
Jeep cares?????

Thoughts and help please!!!!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep cares?????

Thoughts and help please!!!!
I doubt @JeepCares will get involved in my case - yes, it's a Mopar official part, but I planned on saving money and bought from an online dealer, plus I installed it myself.
I've installed $4,000 stereo systems in the 80s and got up to 2nd place in contests and have wired things far more complex so it's not a skill level - it's that this thing was never tested and the harness isn't right for Gladiators.
Anyone here who has installed any brake controller will tell them that - the harness is wrong.
So do I have to spend another 30-50 dollars for a correct harness?
Do I spend another 2 or 3 hours pulling things apart and fixing the harness myself?

They need to pull this product OFF the market, TEST IT, fix the instructions but more importantly, fix the wiring harness so it doesn't screw up the dash and disable ACC, forward collision warning, stability control and other stuff.

@JeepCares - this brake controller - meaning the whole Mopar brake controller, not just the one I bought - is defective -
If you push the button with the engine running, it scrambles the cluster and disables all of your safety features until you stop, shut the engine off and restart. Push that button and the cluster looks like Times Square billboard, and it disables - traction control, stability control, ESS, ACC and forward collision features and there's nothing you can do but stop the truck and restart the engine.
This has been shown with a trailer connected or not connected. Push that button either on purpose to apply trailer brakes or by accident - simply bumping it, and you throw the whole system into a meltdown and have to restart the truck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you have other than a base model - I have a feeling you'll have trouble.
Tell the dealer that when it's installed they need to start the truck and push that button.
That'll fix 'em! LOL If you have ACC or other safety stuff, it will have them going "what the he........"

I bet no dealer that has installed these has ever bothered TESTING them, I'd bet on it.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
If you have other than a base model - I have a feeling you'll have trouble.
Tell the dealer that when it's installed they need to start the truck and push that button.
That'll fix 'em! LOL If you have ACC or other safety stuff, it will have them going "what the he........"

I bet no dealer that has installed these has ever bothered TESTING them, I'd bet on it.
So those with the Base model won't have these issues?
Can someone confirm this please.

atoy74

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I doubt @JeepCares will get involved in my case - yes, it's a Mopar official part, but I planned on saving money and bought from an online dealer, plus I installed it myself.
I've installed $4,000 stereo systems in the 80s and got up to 2nd place in contests and have wired things far more complex so it's not a skill level - it's that this thing was never tested and the harness isn't right for Gladiators.
Anyone here who has installed any brake controller will tell them that - the harness is wrong.
So do I have to spend another 30-50 dollars for a correct harness?
Do I spend another 2 or 3 hours pulling things apart and fixing the harness myself?

They need to pull this product OFF the market, TEST IT, fix the instructions but more importantly, fix the wiring harness so it doesn't screw up the dash and disable ACC, forward collision warning, stability control and other stuff.

@JeepCares - this brake controller - meaning the whole Mopar brake controller, not just the one I bought - is defective -
If you push the button with the engine running, it scrambles the cluster and disables all of your safety features until you stop, shut the engine off and restart. Push that button and the cluster looks like Times Square billboard, and it disables - traction control, stability control, ESS, ACC and forward collision features and there's nothing you can do but stop the truck and restart the engine.
This has been shown with a trailer connected or not connected. Push that button either on purpose to apply trailer brakes or by accident - simply bumping it, and you throw the whole system into a meltdown and have to restart the truck.
You should upload a video to YouTube and let that gain some traction. I don't care if you purchased via a dealer or online retailer, the product should work as intended and be warrantied.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You should upload a video to YouTube and let that gain some traction. I don't care if you purchased via a dealer or online retailer, the product should work as intended and be warrantied.
Good idea!
I'll finish my spacer lift install and give that a shot.

Sponsored

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
I just installed mine and I dont have any issues when I hit the button. I have a loaded Rubicon, so it would seem kike I should have had the same issues as Shadow. I press the button and I hear the a relay click so its engaging. Havent connected to a trailer yet though

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well there goes the build date theory, perhaps.
Maybe some controllers went out with the incorrect harness?

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
Well there goes the build date theory, perhaps.
Maybe some controllers went out with the incorrect harness?
Maybe not...I pressed the button while driving and had the same issue as you. Guess I need to go update my post.

When I hit the button idling in my driveway it didnt do anything earlier today.
Sponsored