Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else notice anything hinky about these pictures - look closely at the details
Compare the actual controller box to the pictures in the so-called instructions.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) IMG_20201030_130946

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) IMG_20201030_130934
Sponsored

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
Well.

Dealer just called - this part requires a harness that won't be ready until February.. Probably similar to other stories :CWL:

They are going to install it still, just not hook up the cables, so.. I guess I'll report back in a few months?

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well.

Dealer just called - this part requires a harness that won't be ready until February.. Probably similar to other stories :CWL:

They are going to install it still, just not hook up the cables, so.. I guess I'll report back in a few months?
The dealer is reading the instructions wrong. The extra harness is only for Wranglers that don’t have a tow package from the factory. All Gladiators have the trailer wiring and are ready for the kit to be plug and play.As long as you have the 7 and 4 way plug on your bumper everything you need is in the box.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else notice anything hinky about these pictures - look closely at the details
Compare the actual controller box to the pictures in the so-called instructions.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) IMG_20201030_130934

I think it’s an instruction typo. Mine is like that too and installed just fine.

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So I just got done installing mine, it took about 45 minutes from start to finish. I’m bad at taking install pictures, but I did grab some of the finished product. Couple things to note:

1.The upper mount for the controller under the dash has a clip for wiring in it from the factory. You have to remove that clip and slide it out of the way, it’s just a push pin. The instructions show this, but not very clearly.
2. It’s nice and snug under there, I’m still unbending myself
3. The instructions show the proper operation of the controller, which I tested and it’s spot on.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 69F3E07C-9DF9-474A-88CF-89DD1466A4BA
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) DFC03D0C-6B1C-42AF-ABE9-9369FAC5FD45
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 3F38E313-4ECD-425E-9F89-DC12DF9E19CF
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 0DA84801-4007-4ECE-A9CD-86A5062BFD11
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) B72974CE-E9BF-43E7-BB3A-C9E293783663

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And that's the bottom line.
IF you have the factory 7 and 4 position connector (which means you have the factory tow package of some sort) then this is a plug and play install.
NO OTHER HARNESS NEEDED!
Any time you see those plugs back there, it means it's WIRED and the fuses are in place.
Yes, that code is another indication Jeep rushed this and likely used some instructions from something else to get things going.
If you have a JT with those plugs and a receiver hitch, you have ABR.

This really ain't complicated.

As far as "flash" - or other software hijinks, unless you see the code for that on your invoice - then NO, they didn't touch the electronics or make any software changes. They must track and list that sort of thing.
ALL INDICATIONS ARE - In this case, like has been said - this isn't like the Ram. It's a plug and play stand-alone brake controller and not integrated into the cluster.
Can't go ask a dealer because they simply don't know yet unless they have installed a couple.
I have a 7 and 4 pin - dealer says I'm still missing the harness.. Thoughts?
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) Screenshot_20201030-143014_OneDrive

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spoke to my dealer, they said there is nothing to plug into period and they would have to cut some wires.

I'm going to locate instructions and see if there is something missing.

I have what everyone says and the specifically said that it needs the ADH code. Even thought I said the ABR code is the JT code, he showed me the online section in more that states that - so they are going by that.

Personally I see where they are coming from, but I will totally check it out myself.

Thanks guys.

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Round 10!

So I located what I think is the plug.
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 20201030_153752

When I plugged it in, I got an error on my dash saying the stability control is off and to service it.
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 20201030_154149

Then when I unplugged it it went away.

Any thoughts?

Imagine the dealer did the same thing, thought "well, not going there." And decided to order a cable.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Round 10!

So I located what I think is the plug.
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 20201030_154149

When I plugged it in, I got an error on my dash saying the stability control is off and to service it.

Then when I unplugged it it went away.

Any thoughts?

Imagine the dealer did the same thing, thought "well, not going there." And decided to order a cable.
That is the correct plug. If it’s not working, the other harness isn’t going to fix that. The harness they are referring to will only run the blue brake controller to the add on he was that comes with the trailer wiring for installing on Wranglers that came without it. If plugging in the controller causes that issue then either the controller is bad or one of the wires got knicked when installing it.
From your window sticker you already have the tow package so there is nothing to add.

Sponsored

JTGladly

First Name
Sibi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi; 2016 JKUR; 2010 Commander Hemi
Occupation
Software development
So I just got done installing mine, it took about 45 minutes from start to finish. I’m bad at taking install pictures, but I did grab some of the finished product. Couple things to note:

1.The upper mount for the controller under the dash has a clip for wiring in it from the factory. You have to remove that clip and slide it out of the way, it’s just a push pin. The instructions show this, but not very clearly.
2. It’s nice and snug under there, I’m still unbending myself
3. The instructions show the proper operation of the controller, which I tested and it’s spot on.
Sweet! I wish there was someone like this in the dealership. Is there any way to test it without the trailer itself? As soon as I turn on the ignition my knob lights up red for sometime when I press on the brakes. After that nothing (brake or pushing the button).

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet! I wish there was someone like this in the dealership. Is there any way to test it without the trailer itself? As soon as I turn on the ignition my knob lights up red for sometime when I press on the brakes. After that nothing (brake or pushing the button).
That sounds right based on the manual, but I haven’t tried mine yet without anything attached. I have a Tekonsha 7 way tester I use. It simulates the load of brakes so the truck thinks a trailer is attached. I’ll have to try it when I get back home and see if it does the same.

JTGladly

First Name
Sibi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi; 2016 JKUR; 2010 Commander Hemi
Occupation
Software development
That sounds right based on the manual, but I haven’t tried mine yet without anything attached. I have a Tekonsha 7 way tester I use. It simulates the load of brakes so the truck thinks a trailer is attached. I’ll have to try it when I get back home and see if it does the same.
Thank you sir. I will get my hands on a tester this weekend and will update too.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That is the correct plug. If it’s not working, the other harness isn’t going to fix that. The harness they are referring to will only run the blue brake controller to the add on he was that comes with the trailer wiring for installing on Wranglers that came without it. If plugging in the controller causes that issue then either the controller is bad or one of the wires got knicked when installing it.
From your window sticker you already have the tow package so there is nothing to add.
out of curiosity, did you press the manual brake button in the middle of the controller? I ask becauseSo as @ShadowsPapa has confirmed, this harness does not have the diode in line that’s needed to keep the dash from going crazy if you have adaptive cruise. I just tried it on mine and with or without a trailer hooked up, pressing the manual brake button causes the dash to light up like Christmas. When this happens, I get the exact same stability control message as you do. The only fix is to stop, shut the truck off, then restart it. After that it’s good again until you press the button. Looks like they need to update the controller to truck harness to match the spec of their 3073-P harness. As a science experiment, I ordered one of those and I will test it against the included harness to see if the pins are the same, verify the diode is there, and if it fixes the problem.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you sir. I will get my hands on a tester this weekend and will update too.
I did confirm this is how mine behaves as well. Red light and manual button illuminated on startup, then go out once the brake pedal is released. Stays off until I hookup my tester, then it lights back up and functions as normal.
Sponsored