Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Most times the real stupid stubborn dealers won’t take a customers paperwork seriously. they’re just too smart they know everything.
“We don’t take papers printed off the Internet seriously sir”. LOL
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Most times the real stupid stubborn dealers won’t take a customers paperwork seriously. they’re just too smart they know everything.
“We don’t take papers printed off the Internet seriously sir”. LOL
I get that, but that's generally for non-official documents or stuff from forums. This is a STAR communication they can look up themselves and is detailed.

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
Dealer added a wire and now it works, however it doesn't light up.

They said they hooked it up to a trailer tester and it worked. They didn't mention it doesn't light up.

For sure something Jeep dropped the ball on..

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer added a wire and now it works, however it doesn't light up.

They said they hooked it up to a trailer tester and it worked. They didn't mention it doesn't light up.

For sure something Jeep dropped the ball on..
It worked before - it just kicked codes on the 2019 builds and disabled ACC and front collision avoidance and other fun stuff.
Never a problem with it not working. It always worked.

When you say "doesn't light up" do you mean the light when a trailer is connected and it's dark, or you no longer get the LED colors when the brakes are applied?

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
It worked before - it just kicked codes on the 2019 builds and disabled ACC and front collision avoidance and other fun stuff.
Never a problem with it not working. It always worked.

When you say "doesn't light up" do you mean the light when a trailer is connected and it's dark, or you no longer get the LED colors when the brakes are applied?
I'll kindly disagree with your statement that it worked before, as kicking codes and flashing dash lights are enough justification that it didn't work properly.

As for the lights not illuminating; when the car is on with no trailer there are no lights on the trailer brake controller whatsoever. I imagine when I hook up a trailer it will hopefully illuminate as intended. Again, I won't hold my breath.

The dealer installed a custom wire that tapped into a harness, and then used a relay - which clicked every time I pressed and released the brake. Brought it back again (4th time) to take it out. They insisted they could fix it, and they have taken care of me so I do trust they will get it.

They added a resistor next, and replaced the relay.

It now makes no clicking noise, pleasantly enough.

Could be worse. I could have a Jeep with an old steering gear. I consider myself fortunate none the less.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, yes, you could consider it not working correctly before, even if the trailer brakes worked, it wasn't right. I get it.

Yes, the lights on the controller won't work with no trailer, the subtle backlight works by grounding through the trailer brake solenoids. No trailer, no ground for the light. But the led should glow red for a second or two when you first start it with the brake pedal pressed. Mine doesn't seem to do that unless I'm just not looking at it right.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not that we've seen so far.
And that is no surprise as the CHANGE to the truck happened January 2020. So no 2019 build date JT should be expected to work.
We've shown it's NOT the ACC that causes it, it's the build date.
And the ACC being disabled is a side effect. The true cause is the unexpected and unhandled signal the controller puts on the truck's brake lamp circuit.

I'd be very surprised to see anyone with a 2019 build date see this not trigger codes regardless of equipment.
And if they say it's fine - I'd have them TRY AGAIN, and this time not press the brake pedal while trying it.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
There have been a few reports on the Wrangler forums where 2020 builds are experiencing the issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There have been a few reports on the Wrangler forums where 2020 builds are experiencing the issue.
SERIOUSLY?
Do you have any idea how they are equipped?
Were they January 2020 or later? I trust you mention it because it was later, not first week of January, etc.
OOOPS!

Sponsored

airmax617

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Not that we've seen so far.
And that is no surprise as the CHANGE to the truck happened January 2020. So no 2019 build date JT should be expected to work.
We've shown it's NOT the ACC that causes it, it's the build date.
And the ACC being disabled is a side effect. The true cause is the unexpected and unhandled signal the controller puts on the truck's brake lamp circuit.

I'd be very surprised to see anyone with a 2019 build date see this not trigger codes regardless of equipment.
And if they say it's fine - I'd have them TRY AGAIN, and this time not press the brake pedal while trying it.
Thanks for the quick response! Reading through all this, it sounds insane that this product made it to market after such a long delay. What is FCA thinking?!?!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the quick response! Reading through all this, it sounds insane that this product made it to market after such a long delay. What is FCA thinking?!?!
What's ironic - the instructions are dead-wrong in more than one spot, they mention codes that don't exist, a harness that won't exist until NEXT YEAR - and say it's a fix when it is not because it's for Wrangler only, and those instructions were VERSION TWO and printed March of 2020. That means the first version of the WRONG instructions was printed about a year ago - and the product released 3/4 of a year later? And not tested?
OK, so covid set some things back bigly but still...... instructions, 2 versions are incorrect, vaporware wiring harness, all before March, and then 7-8 months later a controller released with those horrible instructions that even a dealer tech said sucked and left him scratching his head. He called star team and they said they had NO REPORTS OF ANY ISSUES and had never heard of any problems with these. So I guess I was the first to take it in for a fix and my dealer tech was the first to report the issue to hear them say it "we've never heard of this before" and then the Jeep parts people up high, not at the dealer, told him "yes, that harness is the fix" and what BS because that star communication says no, the harness is not a fix and no, it's not for Gladiator and no, instructions are wrong....... they don't even talk to each other.
Frankly, if I was a team leader with Jeep - I'd pull all of them into a room and tell them no one leaves until they TALK TO EACH OTHER! LOL (I had a boss who was so pissed about the lack of communication between teams he actually did that)

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
SERIOUSLY?
Do you have any idea how they are equipped?
Were they January 2020 or later? I trust you mention it because it was later, not first week of January, etc.
OOOPS!
Yep, so far one has a build date in March and another from June, trying to pin down the others.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
so the error occurs when you push the brake button without a trailer attached without braking with your foot while the engine is running?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
so the error occurs when you push the brake button without a trailer attached without braking with your foot while the engine is running?
Wrong. (I think I know where you were going with that)

Maybe you didn't read the original posts in these threads where we talk about it happening WITH trailer or without trailer.

It occurs any time you want to apply trailer brakes only or setting and/or are testing the braking force/gain of the trailer brakes. (such as initial setup, or adjusting gain)
It happens WITH trailer connected
It happens with NO trailer connected
It happens when you are not applying the truck brakes

If you were running down the road, ran into some sway, or for whatever reason, wanted or needed to apply the trailer brakes, but not brake the truck (as to come out of sway or an emergency situation) it would happen.
If you were adjusting the gain of the trailer brakes - the braking effort applied to the trailer only, and you pushed the button to check trailer braking (like I do EVERY TIME as perhaps the trailer is heavier or lighter than last time, I ALWAYS reset gain if there's been some time since last tow or my load is different) when you push that button it will happen.

It is a fault, not normal. This is a known issue, Jeep is aware, hundreds of owners are aware.
Sponsored