Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Again I wish I had full wiring diagrams for the trailer circuits as there are relays for the trailer lights - trailer park, left and right turn, backup, etc. - I see those can be set to active or inactive in the system.

Also - engineering would have known of the change if a diode was added because of change control, version control. They could look at the revision history and see it in a heartbeat.
Companies that make electronic things must keep strict histories on them, if they so much as change the company that makes the PCBs for them, they have to revision it.
When you create an electronic circuit, if you move a trace or add or change any component, suddenly that software ups your revision level and you have a rev'd product. It's automatic.
So if they added anything, it was done in the software, a component was added, a trace changed, they were forced into a revision level change. No way around it.
Especially if they sell to the EU.
ISO compliant companies have teams that do nothing but watch over revisions and the paperwork involved, and they are audited every so often.

If there was a diode added - someone had to request it, it had to be engineered, drawn into the PCB, which meant a revision change, then it had to be tested with that change, the company that makes their boards and electronics had to receive the change, and it had to be documented to the very first vehicle that got it.
As an engineer for an ISO compliant company myself, I’m very aware of change/version control. They have noticed that trucks before Jan 2020 have the issue, so clearly they know something is different in hardware or software. If you read the instructions, it says right in them that the brake lights will not work with the manual button. Clearly when those were written, the test vehicle they used was a later build that didn’t have this issue. It’s also very possible that engineers on the brake controller only saw updated diagrams/info and designed to that. If they had been unaware of the previous rev and its potential flaws, then they might not have been able to design around it. Since they were both Tekonsha made, that shouldn’t have happened, but the folks working on the Mopar controller may not be the same ones from the aftermarket line and therefore not in the loop on the 3073-P with diode.

Unless, as you said, we had access to the full wiring diagrams and such we don’t really have a way to know. A quick test for a diode would be easy to do and either prove or disprove this theory. Until one of those happens, and without appropriate diagrams, we only have educated guesses.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
As an engineer for an ISO compliant company myself, I’m very aware of change/version control. They have noticed that trucks before Jan 2020 have the issue, so clearly they know something is different in hardware or software. If you read the instructions, it says right in them that the brake lights will not work with the manual button. Clearly when those were written, the test vehicle they used was a later build that didn’t have this issue. It’s also very possible that engineers on the brake controller only saw updated diagrams/info and designed to that. If they had been unaware of the previous rev and its potential flaws, then they might not have been able to design around it. Since they were both Tekonsha made, that shouldn’t have happened, but the folks working on the Mopar controller may not be the same ones from the aftermarket line and therefore not in the loop on the 3073-P with diode.

Unless, as you said, we had access to the full wiring diagrams and such we don’t really have a way to know. A quick test for a diode would be easy to do and either prove or disprove this theory. Until one of those happens, and without appropriate diagrams, we only have educated guesses.
Yup - until they release a fix or work-around, that's all we have.

I was snooping around in jscan and found on my truck that yes, there's a spot to enable "integrated trailer brake controller" (which this is NOT!) but there are also individual other setting for trailers.........
So along with 'did they add a diode knowing about the trouble with other brake controllers' (Redarc, Tekonsha, etc.) and the codes being set,
OR - do the later ones come with some of these other settings flipped to enable or some other revision that ignores the errors triggered by brake controllers? (hard to imagine that - could lead to trouble)

Like you, I see multiple possibilities here as to "What changed" or "what's different".

When they finally release a "fix" or "workaround" it's going to be real interesting to see just what they did or do. Yes, all speculation until then.
If it's a diode, we'll each get a new harness? (I hope they shorten it! That 3' snake is a bit overkill when you only need to go about 12")
If it's something else, it will be interesting to say the least.

(was speaking more to some who may not be aware of the hoops that must be jumped any time anything is changed, even a simple change in the instructions or flipping a unit around on the mounting plate. )

Monte.Trumbull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
I can feel the detent, but it's not clean and crisp. It feels like it's rubbing on plastic. They aren't definite and there's no sound to it, it sort of "falls into a dip" of sorts but isn't locked solidly into a detent.

Not that many people provided build dates in the poll I put up so we only have a handful to go by.
But it does sort of follow -

User​
Errors?​
Build date​
ACC?​
LED lighting?​
jaxmax​
N​
08/21/20​
N​
N​
Pitch​
N​
08/20/20​
Y​
?​
Aberk​
Y​
06/09/19​
Y​
Y​
atoy74​
Y​
07/09/19​
Y​
Y​
kclendaniel​
N​
09/11/20​
Y​
?​
jeepfitter​
N​
11/17/20​
Y​
Y​
jwilson2899​
Y​
ShadowsPapa​
Y​
11/09/19​
Y​
Y​
Hey Bill. Sorry, I thought I had posted my info in the poll. My build date was 10/16/20. I have ACC and LED lighting. Dealer installed last week. It works as expected with no errors.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here's an update and sorted. Yeah, the dates I found and recorded fit the communication from Jeep on this. I was sure there was one that didn't fit, but I think I can explain that. This shows a clear pattern, otherwise.

User​
Errors?​
Build date​
ACC?​
LED lighting?​
Aberk​
Y​
06/09/19​
Y​
Y​
jwilson2899​
Y​
07/06/19​
Y​
Y​
atoy74​
Y​
07/09/19​
Y​
Y​
ShadowsPapa​
Y​
11/09/19​
Y​
Y​
Jsands​
Y​
12/06/19​
Y​
Y​
jeepfitter​
N​
02/17/20​
Y​
Y​
Pdiddy​
N​
06/25/20​
Y​
Y​
Pitch​
N​
08/20/20​
Y​
?​
jaxmax​
N​
08/21/20​
N​
N​
kclendaniel​
N​
09/11/20​
Y​
?​
Monte.Trumbull​
N​
10/16/20​
Y​
Y​

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
I have a poll on the JL forums, 2 have responded to the poll with yes they are having issues but did not provide option information or build date. One person replied with build date of 6/20 and that they are also having the issue but did not respond to the poll.

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
I have a poll on the JL forums, 2 have responded to the poll with yes they are having issues but did not provide option information or build date. One person replied with build date of 6/20 and that they are also having the issue but did not respond to the poll.
Another report on the JLWrangler forums with issues, their build date is 3/20

jfreeham

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
287 Deep Forest Rd., Wilderness, MO 63941
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
I'm going to have to spend some time reading the 25 pages in this thread and catch up on the conversation, but this is my account of the brake controller experience.

On the day of the official release of the brake controller my dealer put in an order. It arrived and the plan was to install it when they fixed the steering issue (removing the aluminum box for the black steering box, which, by the way, is a perfect fix). Later that morning I received a call from the service department. They had opened the package for the brake controller, fresh from Mopar, and it turns out that all they did was sent the knob; they didn't send any wiring. My dealer was told that the wiring in on backorder and will be sent out in February, probably.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to have to spend some time reading the 25 pages in this thread and catch up on the conversation, but this is my account of the brake controller experience.

On the day of the official release of the brake controller my dealer put in an order. It arrived and the plan was to install it when they fixed the steering issue (removing the aluminum box for the black steering box, which, by the way, is a perfect fix). Later that morning I received a call from the service department. They had opened the package for the brake controller, fresh from Mopar, and it turns out that all they did was sent the knob; they didn't send any wiring. My dealer was told that the wiring in on backorder and will be sent out in February, probably.
Nope. The instructions are WRONG. You do not need that harness. It is not for the Gladiator. It is for Wrangler.
There is a new communication for dealers but my internet is down. I think someone posted it in this thread last week.
Tell the dealer the instructions are trash and there is no such sales code as mentioned for jt.

Found it.......
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF

Last edited:

olecarguy

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2012 300, 08 Scion XB, 03 F350, 65 Cuda,
Occupation
Retired Auto Mechanic/Machine Technician/Engineer
Hi ShadowPapa,

I sent this is a post back on 10/3, for your database, it may have been overlooked.

a) Build Date: 8/20
b) Model Overland
c) LED Lighting
d) Blind Spot/Cross Traffic
e) Trailer Tow Package
f) ACC/Forward Collision
g) Automatic High/Beam and Headlights
h) Stop/Start
i) Cold Weather Pkg

Also, trailer I connected to has LED Lights as well.

Also, I turned the unit around on the mounting plate to match the instruction illustration.

Unit working fine after 1 use of trailer.

Sponsored

Academyguy12

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Military
Oddly enough, after having the controller installed for about 2 weeks. I started getting a red light in the knob at start up. That used to not happen but I haven’t changed anything so not sure why it’s magically lighting up.
Still get the errors when I push the manual brake button

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Oddly enough, after having the controller installed for about 2 weeks. I started getting a red light in the knob at start up. That used to not happen but I haven’t changed anything so not sure why it’s magically lighting up.
Still get the errors when I push the manual brake button
You probably just didn’t notice it, that’s how they work. Mine has done that since I installed it. The first time you put your foot on the brake when it’s been sitting, it wakes up the controller. It then checks and sees no trailer, so it goes out once you let off the pedal and stays off. It’s shown in the instruction.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You probably just didn’t notice it, that’s how they work. Mine has done that since I installed it. The first time you put your foot on the brake when it’s been sitting, it wakes up the controller. It then checks and sees no trailer, so it goes out once you let off the pedal and stays off. It’s shown in the instruction.
Mine may have other issues then as mine did that the first couple of times I started the truck but the past several times, NO light at all.
First couple of times, the LED glowed red for about 2, maybe 3 seconds, then went out - even with foot on the brake. I figured that was the wake-up cycle, made sense.
But now - my truck sits for a couple of days, I go start it, nothing at all from the brake controller, not that red light I saw for a couple of seconds the first couple of times.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Anyone with issues had the opportunity to try a different unit to see if it's the truck or the controller? Or had the chance to install their broken controller on another truck to see if still broken?

Academyguy12

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Military
Anyone with issues had the opportunity to try a different unit to see if it's the truck or the controller? Or had the chance to install their broken controller on another truck to see if still broken?
No, they said since there is a STAR report they wouldn’t do anything until Mopar releases a fix
Sponsored