MOPAR trailer brake controller

SLSDjeep

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Sting-Gray
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Bought my Gladiator a week ago and it's also my first Jeep ever. Loving it!

So I have been lurking for a week about the MOPAR trailer brake controller and losing the 12v outlet. I definitely need the 12v outlet and started my quest on where to relocate. I have not come up with much which is the reason for this thread and what my idea is. My thought now is to leave the 12v alone and install the brake controller on the panel under the steering wheel. I was going to move the 12v down there or to back of the console facing back seats but I figured I didnt want an accessory sticking out by my knees if it was under the steering wheel and if I did the console I would have to extend the harness. So can anyone tell me why it might not be a good idea to just mount the controller below the steering wheel? The harness is right there for it anyway. This is hopefully my project tonight if nobody has a reason why it would be a bad idea.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar Brake Controller is designed to take the place of the 12v outlet. You may be able to make it work in another location, but it will require a large hole. You will also need to carefully check to make sure there is adequate room behind where you plan to mount it.

My suggestion would be to get a Curt Spectrum Brake Controller, if you need to keep the 12v outlet. It is easier to mount, and offers the same features for less money. There is nothing special about the Mopar controller, and it does not integrate with the truck electronics, like what is available on the RAM or other trucks.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There has been a lot of different solutions brought up on this forum for the myriad of accessories out on the market. Since most of the accessories are USB connection, Might I ask what accessory you would want plugged in? Just to get a better idea.

OP
OP

SLSDjeep

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mopar Brake Controller is designed to take the place of the 12v outlet. You may be able to make it work in another location, but it will require a large hole. You will also need to carefully check to make sure there is adequate room behind where you plan to mount it.

My suggestion would be to get a Curt Spectrum Brake Controller, if you need to keep the 12v outlet. It is easier to mount, and offers the same features for less money. There is nothing special about the Mopar controller, and it does not integrate with the truck electronics, like what is available on the RAM or other trucks.
I believe I have a spot figured out that would work for clearance behind and while I'm nervous to do it, I think I have the hole figured out as well. I ended up scoring the MOPAR controller for $220 so I already have it at home ready to go. Thought about the curt but from my research would only have saved me $20. My biggest thing was is there a reason I shouldn't mount it under the steering wheel as long as I have the clearance?

OP
OP

SLSDjeep

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe I have a spot figured out that would work for clearance behind and while I'm nervous to do it, I think I have the hole figured out as well. I ended up scoring the MOPAR controller for $220 so I already have it at home ready to go. Thought about the curt but from my research would only have saved me $20. My biggest thing was is there a reason I shouldn't mount it under the steering wheel as long as I have the clearance?
It just needs to be mounted where you can easily access it for emergency use of the brakes. If the spot you picked works for you, then you should be good.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
It just needs to be mounted where you can easily access it for emergency use of the brakes. If the spot you picked works for you, then you should be good.
This is critical it has to be easy to reach, especially if you are towing something big. If I had to do it again I would have put it on the left side of my steering wheel since I tend to drive with my right

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The main thing I would be using is this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Digital-Inflator-Tool-Only-R87044/313257505

But occassionally a phone charger for a passenger and also future use if needed.
I have seen people place an aux USB charging (2-3) station in the small tray on top of the dash, with the wires fed inside the dash to the back side of the 12v charger, that would be converted to the break controller. It is a simple connection adapter plugged in between the quick connect under dash and the eventual break controller, but that would mean some dismantling of dash components and small drilled hole in top of dash to accommodate, but similar mods to the one you are talking about. For me I do not like power cord hanging from my dash, so when I get to the point of doing this mod (break controller) I will get rid of my 12v and place a small usb in the dash tray, to accommodate my phone charging, or what ever else I want to plug in, obviously with some cable management so the wires aren't hanging down. I know a lot, i tend to do that. I think this all comes down to pers preference, I've seen some nice mods either way

OP
OP

SLSDjeep

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is critical it has to be easy to reach, especially if you are towing something big. If I had to do it again I would have put it on the left side of my steering wheel since I tend to drive with my right
Ok, that's what I was hoping for. It would be easily reached if need be. Does anyone know how much wire is behind the dash for the 12v? I still wonder about wiring it to console. Or what options are to extend the wire?

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Check your knee clearance getting in and out. That is the biggest concern in that area.

Sponsored

Mojave Gladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave | Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
For a nice factory look if you do decide to relocate the 12v outlet I would use a step drill bit.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, that's what I was hoping for. It would be easily reached if need be. Does anyone know how much wire is behind the dash for the 12v? I still wonder about wiring it to console. Or what options are to extend the wire?
There's not a lot of wire to work with on the 12v outlet. You would have to cut and splice an extension to move it, and then find a place to drill a new mounting hole. It's probably easier to leave it and do the new hole for the controller.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I have seen forum members on here in some of the other threads get it to extend to the glove box. There was also some cable for sale on quadratc that could further extend it out.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone is interested, I got it done! Turned out great and saved the 12v!

Jeep Gladiator MOPAR trailer brake controller 20210507_214052

Jeep Gladiator MOPAR trailer brake controller 20210507_214052
Did you remove the panel or drill in place? Any tips on drilling, this is by far my favorite location
Sponsored