Sponsored

Motor oil and filter recommendations for EcoDiesel JT?

alexjoel6008

First Name
alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
sales
Greetings, I would like to know which is the best engine oil for my jeep gladiator ecodiesel and if it is advisable to put a replacement or original oil filter
Sponsored

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
You can't go wrong with OEM.

However, should you truly wish to go down the rabbit hole of "which oil is best", simply do a search on here for that term. The arguments and choices are endless.

Best Wishes and good luck.

And please, for the love of all that is holy about Jeep, let it go.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Wesson oil and a tampon.

There is no such thing as "OEM" oil or filter.
There are products made by existing companies that MOPAR puts their name on and charges more for.

Oil filters are made by Wix.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Chrysler MS-12991 Certification for use in the 3.0 EcoDiesel. (MS-12991 is Key to compliance…)

The 3.0 EcoDiesel uses 9 Quarts of Engine Oil

Mopar oil filter Part Number: 68507598AA

PENNZOIL ULTRA® EURO 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Ravenol 5W-40 VST
Valvoline 5W-40 MST SynPower
Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-Cess Gen 2 Motor Oil 109774
MOTUL 8100X-CLEAN 5W-40
Quaker State Euro Synthetic

Mopar 5W-40 Engine Oil - 68231021AA is for the 5 liter jug. 68231020AA is for the 1 quart bottle. (“OEM-Oil…”- though the dealers around here use pennzoil ultra euro….)

For me pennzoil ultra euro 5w40 is the easiest to find…

Sponsored

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Greetings, I would like to know which is the best engine oil for my jeep gladiator ecodiesel and if it is advisable to put a replacement or original oil filter
WHAT THE OWNERS MANUAL SPECIFIES.. Why do you think anyone not the engineers that built, tested, and approved an oil would be better?

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
WHAT THE OWNERS MANUAL SPECIFIES.. Why do you think anyone not the engineers that built, tested, and approved an oil would be better?
I mean…. To be fair oil certifications are about $$$ more than technical analysis….

In all fairness Mercedes specifications for diesels is the highest that i know of, and would exceed the requirements for the ecodiesel….

Gotta remember everyone comes from a different background/knowledge level…. The newer the vehicle the more complicated things get, and the less of an understanding people may have.

I’m sure there are a lot of new ecodiesel owners that are sticker shocked at a $200 oil change for a Jeep…. Is there a way to save a buck?? People are just asking to know… no better way to push people away from a car community than jump their crap straight away…

Original posters thread and post count “1, 1”. Search is another good one…. Give them a couple before we bring the fire hose… 🤣😂🍺

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
My dealer said to just bring in the filter and oil. All they would charge is labor. Save few bucks

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
As it's a Fiat, get the best EVO you can.

GENCO PURA is suggested by the Godfather, an offer you can't refuse.

Remember, why .... Genco Abbandando.

Don't you forget.

As far as the filter, as per counsel of the consigliore, "Fugadaboutit".

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
LOL - just the title made me cringe. Oh, no, not another best spark plug, best religion, best steak dinner, best beer, best dog breed.........

I mean…. To be fair oil certifications are about $$$ more than technical analysis….
No. They are actually analyzed by labs hired to do the analysis to get their certification. the labs send people out into the consumer areas - buy oil off the shelf either from stores, dealers, or oil change places, take it back and literally do analyze it. Seen the methods they use and walked through the processes.
To get oil certified is dirt cheap. Only people worried or trying to save a handful of pennies would skip the process or maybe they don't care because they already sell enough. It's not money - it's cheap.
I will only run certified oil because I know it's been tested and proven to meet the minimums.

Typically a good idea.

There is no such thing as "OEM" oil or filter.
There are products made by existing companies that MOPAR puts their name on and charges more for.
I've talked to the people at Wix - and they say "made to the specs given to Wix"
The building and people Wix pays makes the filters but NOT to wix specs - they are made to MOPAR specs, Ford specs, whatever. Even Mobil has their own specs they give Wix.
I called for support and the guy was really friendly and not in a hurry to get off the line. I bet we chatted for 10-15 minutes about this topic.
MOPAR doesn't put their name on a wix filter, Wix makes filters according to the specifications and requirements MOPAR gives them.
My father worked in a factory where they made products they sold under their own name, and they made products for others sold under those other names. He said they came in with their own people, inspected things, checked out the employees, looked over all the records and such, and were very specific on how things were to be done.

Follow the freakin' damned book. Ya think "forum people" know more than those who designed the engine and WARRANT it?
"what's the best (insert item here)" will always be opinion unless someone supports it with some proven repeatable fact/test.
"I have 100,000 miles on my truck so I know the oil I use is best" is also bull.

Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

A071351D-5D0D-4F1D-A0EF-42BD00A9002C.gif

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just read an interesting evaluation of oil filters. In fact, ironically, a Wix filter was compared to a MOPAR filter. The guy said "no doubt came from the same factory" but it was interesting that there were internal differences such as the square inches of filtering material, how the material was glued to the end pieces inside, and other functional internal differences.
I bet you totally ignored all books, manuals, tech specs and instructions for the equipment you dealt with. Don't need no stinkin manual for any dang power plant. Just fire it up - it'll sync up - eventually, I think.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Registered for almost a year and this is your first post?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Just read an interesting evaluation of oil filters. In fact, ironically, a Wix filter was compared to a MOPAR filter. The guy said "no doubt came from the same factory" but it was interesting that there were internal differences such as the square inches of filtering material, how the material was glued to the end pieces inside, and other functional internal differences.

I bet you totally ignored all books, manuals, tech specs and instructions for the equipment you dealt with. Don't need no stinkin manual for any dang power plant. Just fire it up - it'll sync up - eventually, I think.
Have a library in my office. Westinghouse steam turbine and gas turbines. GE steam turbine and gas turbines, GE MarkV operation, GE oil and hydraulic systems. Emerson operation system, Aquatech operation system. 12 books on water chemistry. State and Fed regulations. Emission controls. ASE books. Car books. Reloading manuals. Books from my welding and machinal engineering classes.
Sponsored