Sponsored

Mounting GMRS antenna

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
i was hoping to save my AUX switches for other things, but I will keep that in mind.
Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
i was hoping to save my AUX switches for other things, but I will keep that in mind.
There is a battery and ignition wire in the bundle inside for the AUX switches. I used the ignition for my GMRS and it works fine.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
There is a battery and ignition wire in the bundle inside for the AUX switches. I used the ignition for my GMRS and it works fine.
That is good news, can you tell me how best to get at them? are they interior or in the hood compartment?

I found the 4 wire ends for the aux switches in the hood area by the battery.

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
Looking for the best place to mount a GMRS antenna. I know i saw a bracket somewhere to mount it to the trail rail system, but not finding it. Does anyone know of one. Or if you have a better place to mount it, please let me know. Post pictures and links if you have info to share.
I’ve got the MTX275. I mounted the antenna inside my snorkel and the black box behind the glove box and off to the right. I was to use double side tape to kinda wedge it in that area. I only used it at the Jeep jamboree, but it seems to work great. For power, I tapped off the back of the cigarette lighter. Sorry no pics, but if I feel ambitious this weekend I might take some pictures.

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
Here's another fender alternative to the one above depending on what size hole you need:

Topsy CB Mount
Topsy NMO Mount

I have two of the NMO mounts and they're solid.
The wife and I both use this type mount mentioned here with our 2m/70cm ham units. So far they're rock solid and no complaints.

Sponsored

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
Haven’t been out yet to test it unfortunately. Excited tho, as I also have the 6db antenna to try and my buds have also got into the game recently so will be able to see how reception is as soon as the snow melts off the trails here and they open back up.
And yep, ran through a grommet under the brake booster/clutch and then poked a hole in the plastic firewall cover on the inside. (In the pic just aside the spring seen)

4C55E885-0142-4EE1-BDB8-0B1D8C01CE62.jpeg
534DFA58-AE02-458F-9FFF-E957F11506BA.jpeg
1CEA1927-CCCA-4775-A2B1-911F7E37E094.jpeg
We used the Daystar Univ firewall boot on ours to run the cabling/wires into the cab. Fits like a glove.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K2285E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
IF you have factory switches the harness is behind the glove box area. Has 4 wires for switches and battery and ignition. Search the forums many posts on how to find them

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
These mounts put the antenna well below hood level where it will degrade performance on the shorter 1/4 wave UHF whips and stubby low profile types some people are using here. An NMO trunk lip mount goes on top of the hood keeping all of the antenna above hood level and you can get very high quality trunk lip mounts with coax cheaper than a separate NMO mount and bolt on fender mount.

The wife and I both use this type mount mentioned here with our 2m/70cm ham units. So far they're rock solid and no complaints.

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Another option for going through the firewall is that round plug above the hole you passed through. It has 2 tabs you grab and give a quarter twist to remove. I drilled a hole through center of that, passed my antenna cable and reinstalled. You can see the hole from drivers footwell, no fishing wire needed.
We used the Daystar Univ firewall boot on ours to run the cabling/wires into the cab. Fits like a glove.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K2285E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Did you run the antenna cable next to the power through the same hole?
Sponsored