OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Mounted Hi-lift Jack, Fiskar Axe and Krazy Beaver Shovel to bed with EAG hood jack mount and Dominion Off Road axe and shovel bracket. Mounted hood brackets with rivet nuts to the bed.

60A862E5-8B8E-4994-AB0D-7A2D0EDA377D.jpeg

92C817E2-A378-4BF3-A6DD-17964BD7DE7C.jpeg
Oh goodie, I was wondering if my hood brackets I purchased would actually be usable there in the back. Now, I don't have to purchase more HiLift mounting brackets and I can mount them in the back using the same brackets.
Sponsored

JWest

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, JLUR Bikini Pearl, JLUR Granite Crystal, JKU Golden Eagle
Oh goodie, I was wondering if my hood brackets I purchased would actually be usable there in the back. Now, I don't have to purchase more HiLift mounting brackets and I can mount them in the back using the same brackets.
Good luck and send some photos if you get a chance.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi-Lift useful in limited situations until you really need it. But storage out in weather not good. I have 2 ,short and tall yes they can and will hurt or kill you if you screw up. I used mine a few weeks back lifting my LJ up. I keep my short one inside of Jeep. It's been used as a winch a few times after having to carry it back in a swamp to recover a large 4 wheeler with strap, shackles and winch rope. Broken bead on tires, Fixed a few fence's and gates. Mine have been worth having. I don't recommend one unless someone has know how and (un)common sense to use it properly and safe.
It would be a cold day in ### before I would mount it on hood of "my" Jeep last thing I want mounted on sheet metal hood with a few small bolts to secure. Really think about that, Your setting at traffic light waiting for light to change green. Clown texting or even drunk don't hit the brakes. Let alone screwing up the paint and dents. One in my LJ has 1/2 bolts holding it there clamped to rollbar, shovel strapped to it. Max-Ax strapped to floor under drawer. Things not to have moving around in crash or roll over.
Second picture is slightly mods to base it locks on ice, paved road and wood. Plus helps with sinking

15799862097922833626216386953770.jpg

15799862994324396114217023441496.jpg

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I had a Hi-Lift mounted on my JK's hood for a while. Looked cool, people at work asked what's that thing on your hood. Used it once, to jack up my neighbor's boat trailer that got bogged down on his lawn. No bonnet, exposed to the elements, everything thrown at it while moving forward, which probably didn't do it any favors. But never had any problems with wind noise or fwapping around and the hood seemed to support it just fine.

Traded the hood mount kit for an LED light bar which I sold even before installing it, and moved the Hi-Lift to the rear of the 2-door JK using a kit that mounted it to the roll cage. Much better, but still never used it. Eventually sold it.

Fair amount of weight to carry daily with not much useful purpose on streets. I see it being useful when you go on trail runs, so maybe keep the hood mounts in place and throw the jack on when running trails. As far as the JT goes, if you're carrying it daily, I think the bed is a better option (in terms of exposure to elements). If you're carrying it only when wheeling, hood or bed doesn't make a difference.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My 27 year old hi-lift is semi-permanently mounted to my garage wall. I used to shove it under the seat of my JKU when I wheeled. Not sure what I’m gonna do with it with it in my JTR. They really need to be protected from the elements and kept properly lubed to work. I have used it a handful of times on the trail - to jack an XJ over a ledge (not recommended btw), once to help recover a flipped buggy, wedged against a rock And being winched (really came in handy for this), a couple of tire changes (with jack stands and wheel chocks), and 2 times as a hillbilly trail vice to fix U joints. The rest of the time I use it to pull fence posts, change big JD tractor tires and level sheds. I actually went thru an off-road class in the late 1990s that taught us how/when to use this thing, encouraged the use of solid bases and ratchet straps to keep it from slipping and taught us a great deal of respect for the “jaw breaker” handle. All a long way of saying - not on the hood. Lol

Sponsored

RBillybob

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Launch Edition / 2014 Grand Cherokee /2001 TJ
I found a mount for a Tacoma that mounted to the bed rail. Works great even though as pointed out by several of you that the hi-lift is kind of an old school tool it’s better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it.
FB9C1678-50BE-4DF1-9CC5-068726B197BC.jpeg
FD54F1AC-F2BA-4062-8BB5-53FC9D509A46.jpeg

slothead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Overland
Occupation
NASA Consultant - EE
Vehicle Showcase
For the occasional time it gets used for jacking out a fence post I wouldn’t mount it anywhere.
They are required to get a pass/permit to drive out on Assatigue/chinkotigue (Sp.?) In the sand.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
It specifically isn't required but a suitable jack and jack board is. I know more than a few of us are old enough to remember the old bumper jacks that came in the trunk. Not all that different and just as dangerous.

JimThe4th

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
upload_2020-4-7_16-27-7.png

This was my solution, using the JCR Offroad Molle panel. Tucked away and under the tonneau. I think i want to add a foldable shovel too. just gotta find the right one.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Check out the axe shovel sledge pick combo from hi-lift, hand-all i think they call it. Folding shovels (etools) are for when you need to scratch a hole to avoid gunfire, a real sized handle is for actual digging.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Another option for a shovel,ax, pick and sledgehammer is a Max-Axe in fact that became a (BII) basic issue equipment for Army 1051 Hummer. I bought mine after I got back from my 1999 Deployment and seeing one.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
https://forresttoolco.com/the_max.html

Max%20Lay%20Out%20Better%20Color%20Tone.jpg

redtoollayout.jpg

I suppose its your call which one is clunkier.

Funny thing is how little pioneering I've actually had to do versus cutting fallen trees and snags out of the way.
Sponsored