Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Great research and write up. But I do have a serious cash question.

If we have hints of another V-8 option in a year or two from the OEM, does it make sense to wait. I would think an old man like me might be in a rush and go the route you are, but a younger person/family might make out fiscally (and warranty wise) in the short/long run if we get a 5.7 option in lower model JTs ( not 72K Rubi-Unlimiteds).

That said, maybe you all know and are sure that Jeep won't put an 8 in the Gladiator, I sure as heck am hoping for it and am ready to sell/trade as soon as an affordable v-8 option is offered OEM.

Good luck with the build and thanks for the shop referral!
Thanks Jay!

So as far as the cash side of things go - the Wrangler 6.4 is a $20 k price jump as I understand it. So even waiting for that factory option isn't going to save a TON of cash. I see what you mean - but could you imagine waiting 2-3 years only to find out Jeep holds steady on the decision not to bring the V8 to the Gladiator?

To me even if Jeep comes to market with this option in a year or two, I don't think I would have any regrets going this route. Just to already have that year or two driving a JT Hemi under my belt, ya know?

I **think** (not 100% positive but I think I read this) AMW offers some pretty decent financing options as well. So if you have your JT paid off - that might be a considerable option as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Congrats man! You're Sting Gray too, so we're going to be close to twins. The 5.7 is a solid match with this truck, so you should love it. Looking forward to seeing your updates.
campNcrawlR.png
IMG_1586.jpg
Sweet looking ride my friend!! I envy you!!

Last edited:

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Great research and write up. But I do have a serious cash question.

If we have hints of another V-8 option in a year or two from the OEM, does it make sense to wait. I would think an old man like me might be in a rush and go the route you are, but a younger person/family might make out fiscally (and warranty wise) in the short/long run if we get a 5.7 option in lower model JTs ( not 72K Rubi-Unlimiteds).

That said, maybe you all know and are sure that Jeep won't put an 8 in the Gladiator, I sure as heck am hoping for it and am ready to sell/trade as soon as an affordable v-8 option is offered OEM.

Good luck with the build and thanks for the shop referral!
Just ask someone who forked out $100k or so for a JK Brute if they wished they'd waited for the JT. I'd say they likely enjoyed every moment of having what they want.

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Overland
I have a 2020 JT Rubicon running a 2" Mopar lift and 37" tires. I am a long time Jeep owner (5 builds) and have always ALWAYS wanted to do a Hemi Conversion. On my JT I strongly considered it but then decided to go with a less expensive alternitive and supercharged. I honestly thought I would love it but quickly found why it was a 3rd of the price and absolutley hated it. I can't say enough about the supercharger company and they were honest to god good people. The supercharger option no matter the manufacturer just isn't for me. It was soooo far off a stock feeling drive, the power wasn't were I needed or wanted it, it was awful for hauling, etc etc etc.

Anyways to the exciting part. After being disappointed, I called and started researching compaies with the best reputation for Hemi converstions. I spoke with several companies and from everthing I could find AMW4x4 is the absolute best in the business for so many reasons. Anyways, fast forward a month or so and my JT is currently in Holly MI at AMW4x4 getting its Hemi conversion as well as a handfull of other parts and upgrades. I plan to keep updating as the build goes and a review once I drive it home.

I decided to go with the 5.7 over the 6.4 on this build. I have owned 10+ 5.7's and currently own a 6.4 SRT. I decided on the 5.7 for several reasons:

Fuel -The supercharger required premium fuel. I didn't think it would bother me a bit but after a few fill ups.....it really did piss me off a bit that I had to run premium and the performance wasn't much better.
Economy - I like driving my JT alot......the 5.7 offers 415 hrspwr and 400+ in torque. I will see better fuel economy and just all out be happier with the 5.7. Seriously....I don't need my lifted truck to be a sports car. Many people don't agree with me on this.....but I have a 6.4 for when I want to drive it.

During its time at AMW 4x4 it will be getting a complete new powertrain amongst some other goodies - engine, transmission, full exhaust, drive shafts, differntials (5.13s), updating the lift to a AMW custom long arm 3" lift specifically for the Hemi build, fenders, fender liners, and some other small hardware and badging.

Here are two "before snaps" and a few snaps of the work in progress. I will try to keep pictures and updates pretty regularly. Feel free to reach out with questions or comments!

Also - I have a stock 2" Mopar lift in mint condition (6k miles on it) for sale. This will come with the front adjustable track bar (Teraflex) and an adjustable rear track bar (Evo).

View attachment 125599

20200630_160106.jpg

image4.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Thanks for posting. I have been considering doing something similar once I get out of the manufacturers warranty period. I too want to stick with the 5.7L for similar reasons but have been on the fence due to price difference. Exodus 4x4 in Texas sent guys to AMW to learn the process and their price delta is $6k between the 5.7 and 6.4. If I'm in that far why not go all in, but will I really need it or use it? I could use that $6k and do some of the other things you are doing.

What transmission are you switching to? Are you upgrading axles as well or sticking with the Dana 44s and regearing?

Looking forward to the final product and to hear your feedback on it.

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Thanks for posting. I have been considering doing something similar once I get out of the manufacturers warranty period. I too want to stick with the 5.7L for similar reasons but have been on the fence due to price difference. Exodus 4x4 in Texas sent guys to AMW to learn the process and their price delta is $6k between the 5.7 and 6.4. If I'm in that far why not go all in, but will I really need it or use it? I could use that $6k and do some of the other things you are doing.

What transmission are you switching to? Are you upgrading axles as well or sticking with the Dana 44s and regearing?

Looking forward to the final product and to hear your feedback on it.
Hey Colin,

Yeah I talked to Bubba at Exodus but ended up going direct with AMW. Yes I found the same - it was like a $4500 difference between the 5.7 and 6.4.....so not much money but I just didn't want the 6.4. I am keeping the Dana 44s for now (and my 37s as they mentioned I might snap an axle with the power and 40's on 44s). Regearing to 5.13s, upgrading the steering gear box and all steering components to Yeti gear (thanks to a posters suggestion) and some additional accessories.

Reactions: Mac

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Yeah, I unfortunately don't think we are going to see a V8 in the JT inside of 5 years. The CEO of FCA has already said they have no plans to put the 392 in the Gladiator anytime soon. My guess is they will evaluate sales for the Wrangler and then consider it from there.

It's slightly irritating and confusing to me why you would put a 392 in a vehicle with a towing capacity of 1500 lbs. instead of the JT were you could more appropriately use that power.

Anyways, from my understanding the Eco Diesel is the answer to them for more torque with no future plans to expand the powertrain anytime soon. You and I know that could change tomorrow if Bronco announces a truck with a V8 but....the reality of that is also slim for a few years.
Unfortunately I think you are right. The 5.7 should be a 2K or 3K upgrade over the 3.6, but whatever the reason (CAFE I would guess), FCA is not offering what seems to be the most logical engine choice for the JT. Wild speculation, but I would guess that sales of the Gladiator would double if the 5.7 were available from the factory for $2,000-3,000 over the price of a 3.6

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Unfortunately I think you are right. The 5.7 should be a 2K or 3K upgrade over the 3.6, but whatever the reason (CAFE I would guess), FCA is not offering what seems to be the most logical engine choice for the JT. Wild speculation, but I would guess that sales of the Gladiator would double if the 5.7 were available from the factory for $2,000-3,000 over the price of a 3.6
I don't think you the 5.7 would ever be such a low dollar figure upgrade. They have to rework framing, supports, suspension and etc. Even if its done from the factory I bet its at least a 10-12k upgrade over the 3.6 if not more. If they could somehow manage to do that for $2-3K the 3.6 would become extinct I bet!

Here's to hoping they find a way to put a Hemi in the JT for the masses!

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I think the problem is having a V8 midsized truck. It will get in a weird territory that steps on the Ram doorstep, and then there are the cooling, chassis, etc concerns with this thing punching way above its weight class
I get your point about rattling the midsize market - it would be a bit of a paradigm shift. However, I think the mid-size market needs to be rattled. For too long, buyers of midsize trucks have had to choose between a bunch of naturally aspirated V6 engines, all of which have been under-powered at elevation. I do understand that most Americans do not live at elevation... but if you load up a truck and drive uphill at 8 or 10,000 feet, naturally aspirated V6 engines struggle. And if you buy a full-size truck to get a more powerful engine, you are too big to drive the Jeep trails without constant pin-striping or worse :(

I don't get your second point about cooling and the chassis - given that FCA is dropping the heavier and more powerful 392 into the JL. If they can get a JL to run with a 6.4 Hemi that produces 470 HP and 470 lb/ft of torque, they should have a much easier time dropping the 5.7 into a JT; the Gladiator already has better cooling and a stronger chassis than the JL. Not trying to pick a fight - just wondering what you were thinking on this topic.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I don't think you the 5.7 would ever be such a low dollar figure upgrade. They have to rework framing, supports, suspension and etc. Even if its done from the factory I bet its at least a 10-12k upgrade over the 3.6 if not more. If they could somehow manage to do that for $2-3K the 3.6 would become extinct I bet!

Here's to hoping they find a way to put a Hemi in the JT for the masses!
Ahhh, good points. I was just thinking about the engine price - my bad.

What has FCA done with the EcoDiesel in terms of chassis, axles, brakes, springs? As far as I know, the front (and maybe rear) springs are stiffer to accommodate the extra 400 pounds of the diesel engine, but have they made other changes? I know the EcoDiesel puts out about 130 fewer HP than the 5.7 Hemi, but it puts out about 30 lb/ft more in torque. Of course the 5.7 would need different engine mounts, but would it require a stronger frame, axles, and drive shafts? (Genuinely asking - not being snarky)

Getting hypothetical: I'd pay 12-15K extra for a Gladiator with a 5.7 Hemi, and a set of Dana Ultimate 60s, and upgraded drive shafts. Imagine if you could spec the axles from the factory with regard to gears and lockers (the way you can in the aftermarket): a built Jeep from the factory. I know a lot of people love building their Jeeps - I did too back in the day. Now, I'd jump at a chance to get a JT with a V8, on 60s (14-inch brakes!), from the factory.

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company

What has FCA done with the EcoDiesel in terms of chassis, axles, brakes, springs? As far as I know, the front (and maybe rear) springs are stiffer to accommodate the extra 400 pounds of the diesel engine, but have they made other changes? I know the EcoDiesel puts out about 130 fewer HP than the 5.7 Hemi, but it puts out about 30 lb/ft more in torque. Of course the 5.7 would need different engine mounts, but would it require a stronger frame, axles, and drive shafts? (Genuinely asking - not being snarky)

Getting hypothetical: I'd pay 12K extra for a Gladiator with a 5.7 Hemi, and a set of Dana Ultimate 60s, and upgraded drive shafts. Imagine if you could spec the axles from the factory with regard to gears and lockers (the way you can in the aftermarket): a built Jeep from the factory. Hell yeah!
Even JUST the engine I think your probably talking 5-7K more in cost than the 3.6. Just my guess though!

So I have a good friend who just did an EPIC Gladiator EcoD build, I will have to defer to him beause I actually don't know.

As far as the stats though - the 3.6 is rated at 285 hrspwr and 260 lbs. of torque. Where as the EcoD is rated 260 hrspwr and 442 lbs. of torque (someone correct me if I am wrong). So the stats are WAAAY different. Its only 20 hrspwr shy of the 3.6 and gives EPICLY more torque.

From what I hear whispers of one day in the near future you may possibly be able to order your build custom. With that being said I feel like it will be EXTREMLEY limited as I think it will be Mopar parts only.

Sponsored

#HuckleberryJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flowcode.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 5.7 Hemi, '21 JLUR 392, '84 CJ7, '69 CJ5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Realtor
Getting hypothetical: I'd pay 12-15K extra for a Gladiator with a 5.7 Hemi, and a set of Dana Ultimate 60s, and upgraded drive shafts.
That'd be the dream, but the D60s alone cost at or above that $15K, depending on who your connections are.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I swapped a LS 6.0 and 6l80E transmission into my 2007 JKU with a DIY kit at 51 now 56 I will have someone do the swap. Not only that but I had nothing but bugs to work thru for the 5 years I had it. About the time I sold it to my oldest son to get the JT I had everything pretty much taken care of, but during that time, argh. That is why I will have someone do the install so if there is problems they can take care of them not me. I understand that the hemi conversions are doing really well with integration into the system though, so that helps a lot which makes sense not combining two different operating systems.

Very interested to see how this swap plays out.
Yeah, the Hemi will play nice with all the FCA computer thingies and electronics. MoTech in Las Vegas is probably the company to work with if you want to drop a Chevy V8 into a Jeep. I believe that they have done hundreds of LS conversions: https://ww.lswrangler.com/index.html

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase

Getting hypothetical: I'd pay 12-15K extra for a Gladiator with a 5.7 Hemi, and a set of Dana Ultimate 60s, and upgraded drive shafts. Imagine if you could spec the axles from the factory with regard to gears and lockers (the way you can in the aftermarket): a built Jeep from the factory. I know a lot of people love building their Jeeps - I did too back in the day. Now, I'd jump at a chance to get a JT with a V8, on 60s (14-inch brakes!), from the factory.
Well we ripped my 2021 JTRD to the frame almost for kevlar and the suspension and other than moving things around (washer fil, air box etc) the springs were a bit stiffer and the transfer case in a slightly different location, yes it was a bit heavier. We weighed it at all 4 corners at King for the proper valving and Rebel dialed it right in with the springs and such.
Jeep Gladiator My 5.7L Hemi Gladiator Conversion 37441A6E-B2B8-4ADC-8B25-96A39FF7E841_1_105_c
Jeep Gladiator My 5.7L Hemi Gladiator Conversion 454E606E-00E0-4D5D-84A5-336DA251EFA3_1_105_c

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Even JUST the engine I think your probably talking 5-7K more in cost than the 3.6. Just my guess though!

So I have a good friend who just did an EPIC Gladiator EcoD build, I will have to defer to him beause I actually don't know.

As far as the stats though - the 3.6 is rated at 285 hrspwr and 260 lbs. of torque. Where as the EcoD is rated 260 hrspwr and 442 lbs. of torque (someone correct me if I am wrong). So the stats are WAAAY different. Its only 20 hrspwr shy of the 3.6 and gives EPICLY more torque.

From what I hear whispers of one day in the near future you may possibly be able to order your build custom. With that being said I feel like it will be EXTREMLEY limited as I think it will be Mopar parts only.
You misunderstood my post: I was saying that the Ecodiesel is ~130 HP down from the 5.7 Hemi, and that it has ~30 more pound/feet of torque. I was comparing the EcoDiesel to the 5.7 because Jeep is already offering the EcoDiesel in the Gladiator, so I was asking how much they would need to change if they offered the Hemi. Make sense?

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
That'd be the dream, but the D60s alone cost at or above that $15K, depending on who your connections are.
Yeah, buying a set of Dana Spicer Ultimate 60s off the shelf is about 15K, but subtract the cost of the axles you are not buying from that - because you are getting this from the factory (hypothetically) - and not replacing your factory axles with aftermarket ones. What do stock Gladiator axles cost? 3K? 5K? 7K? I have no idea. But you see my point?
Sponsored