Sponsored

My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned.

SD Gladiator

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1989 XJ,
When I first saw one at a car show in 2019, it was stock and strange looking. I started thinking about it and what was wrong. Lift and Tires! I went to my local dealer in the mood for a new vehicle. I first looked at the muscle cars,( the Challengers and Chargers ). Not interesting enough. I looked at the Ram Trucks. Too massive and too much like every other truck. Then in the corner of the lot sat four Gladiators. I curiously walked over to check them out. A sales guy asked if I wanted to test drive one. We drove to a nearby park where he let me get behind the wheel. Before I even reached the road sitting at a stop sign, the car next to me rolled down his window and shouted that he loved my truck! I bought it. I got it lifted and put some impressive 35s on it and now I can't go anywhere without someone stopping me and telling me how much they love my truck. I have never had a vehicle that gets so much praise and attention.
Jeep Gladiator My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned. 0
Sponsored

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Polarizing? Maybe. I get questioned now and then about my JTR. Mostly those who ask a question like it. I got the JTR for two reasons, 1 it doesn't look like any other truck period! But more so I bought it for what it is and can do. Nobody makes anything comparable in capability in the US.

Toyota makes the LC series 70's trucks but they don't meet US safety and emission standards so you can't get one in the US so really nothing comes close to a JT from the factory.

If you want a truck that will get you there and back in the US, the JT is your ticket.

The Sport and Overland models need some modding to get there and I looked at all three when buying but when it came down to it, the looks of the JTR were heads and tails above the lower models. It just has that more aggressive look and stance that makes it appealing to the eye where as the other two models really don't have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the lower models but I think some of the negative comments come from those more than the JTR. They still are more capable than comparable models from their competitors.

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Polarizing? Maybe. I get questioned now and then about my JTR. Mostly those who ask a question like it. I got the JTR for two reasons, 1 it doesn't look like any other truck period! But more so I bought it for what it is and can do. Nobody makes anything comparable in capability in the US.

Toyota makes the LC series 70's trucks but they don't meet US safety and emission standards so you can't get one in the US so really nothing comes close to a JT from the factory.

If you want a truck that will get you there and back in the US, the JT is your ticket.

The Sport and Overland models need some modding to get there and I looked at all three when buying but when it came down to it, the looks of the JTR were heads and tails above the lower models. It just has that more aggressive look and stance that makes it appealing to the eye where as the other two models really don't have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the lower models but I think some of the negative comments come from those more than the JTR. They still are more capable than comparable models from their competitors.
My JKU was a Rubicon and I went through this too, but I’m really happy with the look of my Overland. I was going to get a Rubicon, but the deals were so much better on my Overland. There are Three things that I don’t like about the Overlands, the stock tires, the chrome emblems, and the bleacher side steps. Mine came with the Mopar black tubular side steps (which are actually handy for my 5’4” fiancé). I blacked out the emblems and put 275/70/18s on it, which are actually bigger than the Rubicon 285/70/17s. The Overlands look surprisingly good with bigger tires on their stock 18s. The thing is, I don’t live in CO anymore, my Overland is more than capable of doing anything I do with it. I take it on the beach and mild off-roading to get to camping spots.

Hell, for that manner, my JKU was a lemon and Chrysler bought it back from me. I replaced it with a 2010 Xterra. I did some pretty gnarly trails on that stock 2010 Xterra on 265/75/16” A/Ts. My Overland is more capable than the Xterra. Driver skill and caution goes a long ways. I never had any body damage either.

TJWilly

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I think there are two innate reactions at work here. First off, there is a certain expectation of what a pickup truck is all about. And it isn't a bro owner's ride, or even just a working dad, driving his truck to work at the software developer that employs him. It's a rancher hauling his cattle to market. An electrician showing up at your house to wire you new workshop. A job-site foreman checking work progress in a remote location. Somehow, I don't see Jeep successfully playing to that market in their advertising, though Ford, Chevy, etc all do. That elicits all of the negative reactions. But, contrary to that is the character and legend of Jeep over the decades. Even as small kids, we all stare at Jeeps as they pass on the street. There is an almost universal love for them, which attracts the positive, visceral reactions.

Yeah, you gotta keep an eye on them guys. ;-)
Disagree. It is for everyone including this systems engineer that pulls a camper or nothing at all. This isn’t just a blue collar Jeep.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I'll add I also thought these trucks looked goofy. Then I saw a Rubicon and thought "Well that looks better!" After a simple Google search my opinions drastically changed from "goofy Lego block truck" to "Sexy military style transport vehicle" when I saw the lifts and big tires. It really is crazy how a level or simple lift and bigger tires changes these to an almost different vehicle.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Disagree. It is for everyone including this systems engineer that pulls a camper or nothing at all. This isn’t just a blue collar Jeep.
I don't think you understood what I wrote. But, when we see Jeep advertising this as a workman's truck, when we see Gladiators hauling a half dozen head of cattle to market, or pulling up to people's homes to re-roof their homes, I'll agree that it has moved into a different category. And I have no idea why you suggest I called it a blue collar Jeep. To be clear, what I wrote, rephrased, was the expectation of what a pickup truck is all about isn't a working dad, driving his truck to work at the software developer that employs him. Note that I'm saying what folks think of a pickup truck, not a Jeep or Jeep pickup truck.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
When I first saw one at a car show in 2019, it was stock and strange looking. I started thinking about it and what was wrong. Lift and Tires! I went to my local dealer in the mood for a new vehicle. I first looked at the muscle cars,( the Challengers and Chargers ). Not interesting enough. I looked at the Ram Trucks. Too massive and too much like every other truck. Then in the corner of the lot sat four Gladiators. I curiously walked over to check them out. A sales guy asked if I wanted to test drive one. We drove to a nearby park where he let me get behind the wheel. Before I even reached the road sitting at a stop sign, the car next to me rolled down his window and shouted that he loved my truck! I bought it. I got it lifted and put some impressive 35s on it and now I can't go anywhere without someone stopping me and telling me how much they love my truck. I have never had a vehicle that gets so much praise and attention.
That was probably an undercover sales guy that pulled up next to you lol.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'll add I also thought these trucks looked goofy. Then I saw a Rubicon and thought "Well that looks better!" After a simple Google search my opinions drastically changed from "goofy Lego block truck" to "Sexy military style transport vehicle" when I saw the lifts and big tires. It really is crazy how a level or simple lift and bigger tires changes these to an almost different vehicle.
Same here... When I first saw one, I thought it was really goofy looking (still do, when I see a stock one), and then saw pictures of lifted ones, and I was like, "Yep, that looks WAY better..." So I started looking at them a bit more seriously.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Goofy looking when I first saw it. Then, all my license tags, insurance, and oil changes came due for the 3 vehicles I just sold: Built TJ for wheeling, JK for daily driving and flat towing behind motorhome, and a F250 Diesel 4x4 for towing the boat.
What vehicle can do the work of all 3? The JTR in my driveway. Put the 35's from my JK on it and ordered a 1.5" leveling kit front and 3/4" rear to make it look less goofy.
Eventually 2" Mopar and 37's when the 35's wear out and my bank account re-charges. I think they look perfect with this combo.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I love my gladiator but I will say the view from the rear isn’t good. The top just looks tall and narrow and I’m not a fan of the tiny rear sliding window.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Icebird1976

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 ZJ, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I love my gladiator but I will say the view from the rear isn’t good. The top just looks tall and narrow and I’m not a fan of the tiny rear sliding window.
Gotta agree with this. The bed-to-cab height is my issue. The bed looks too shallow up against the cab, especially now that I have the soft top on. Doesn't look as goofy with the hard top. Looks best topless (don't they all). But this is such a minimal nitpick complaint for me. I love my truck, the way it looks, the way it drives, and the work it performs. I will say that I think the base taillights look terrible. I hate them. But again... just opinion.

TJWilly

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think you understood what I wrote. But, when we see Jeep advertising this as a workman's truck, when we see Gladiators hauling a half dozen head of cattle to market, or pulling up to people's homes to re-roof their homes, I'll agree that it has moved into a different category. And I have no idea why you suggest I called it a blue collar Jeep. To be clear, what I wrote, rephrased, was the expectation of what a pickup truck is all about isn't a working dad, driving his truck to work at the software developer that employs him. Note that I'm saying what folks think of a pickup truck, not a Jeep or Jeep pickup truck.
Because everything you said in your post suggested it as a work truck. No offense to anybody means of career. I have not seen all these Jeep ads you speak but ok. If that fits their marketing plan then so be it. I just don’t believe the JT belongs to any certain group. It is for everyone. And we don’t have to agree on this to be friends. :) Maybe I did misread your post. I am not that invested in this so you can have the last word.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
This vehicle definitely elicits comments from the public - but then my wife and I seem to gravitate towards vehicles that do that. When we got married back in 1971 she had just bought a brand new AMC Gremlin (anybody remember them?)! A funny-looking car, but it preformed quite well - we used it to tow a U-Haul trailer from California to North Carolina, then back to California. It had about 200,000 miles on it when it got T-boned out from under us in 1974. In 2008 we bought a smart car - another funny-looking car, but took us all over when we weren't towing it behind our motorhome. But if you really want to attract attention try riding a motorcycle with a sidecar! A simple stop for gas could end up taking an hour with the crowds THAT collects! We started with a Ural sidecar - the only motorcycle in the world that comes from the factory with a sidecar, and 2 wheel drive (and the factory is in Russia!) and currently have a Honda Goldwing with a sidecar.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I was iffy about the gladiator until I saw pics online with 35s, 37s and 2.5"-3.5" lift. It's a must have to make this truck look good. Having a manual transmission in a jeep truck sealed the deal for me.
The Gladiator does look good decked out, for sure. But I really like the utilitarian look of the stock truck as well. I don’t plan to lift my Sport S or put anything taller than 33” tires on it. That said, I haven’t had any negative comments at all. And one of the nicest was a guy that pulled up beside me at a light one day and asked what it is. In his delightfully musical accent from Africa he told me “It reminds me of the Land Cruisers from my boyhood home”. His childhood memory lit his face with the most genuine smile!
Sponsored