Sponsored

My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Steveg137

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Marketing
Funnily enough I don't like the look of some JTs.

I think they look a lot better with larger tires and some lift (albeit I'm stock Mojave).

But that's just my taste.

It's the only vehicle I've owned (I'm 52) that I get excited getting into even a year after owning it.
Sponsored

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
As one gets older, you will learn not to seek approval of others (talking about those who are not part of your "inner-circle" of F&F)...Most people like the JT, and the ones that don't are probably more suited to a Santa Cruz - LOL...15 pages of posts on the subject which is interesting in itself...First world problem's are like that ;-)..."They said nasties about my trucK 😱!"

All in fun my Friends...:)

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I first saw one the day I picked up my Challenger. May 4th 2019, I remember because Star Wars lol. I thought it was weird, my first reaction like many was, “it’s a wrangler with a truck bed?”

A few months back I found myself looking at the 4XE, then the Bronco. Then I reserved a 2nd Bronco and got impatient. I went and test drove a Wrangler, hated it. They asked if I wanted to drive the gladiator and I said no. I was walking out of a store one day and I looked at it…

“Maybe this is what I need? A convertible truck that can go off road but also is not a traditional truck but will give me the opportunity to do some truck like things.”

Then it was too big for my garage.

Then I went and test drove a Mojave.

Now I pick it up in a week lol. The more I look the more I like how weird and quirky they are.

If someone tells me they don’t like it I’ll just tell them they’re not paying for it so their opinion doesn’t matter.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
There have been a few snarky remarks, mostly from Gen X'ers.
I then remind them that Jeep has made all sorts of trucks from 1941 until 2000.
"Oh, I didn't know that." :headbang:

Sponsored

quantumleap39

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 hummer, 1987 firebird, 1929 Mercedes
so I am the oddity here, I am a Hummer H3 owner, beast of a truck, black, roof rack tire on top wrap around brush guard beast, 2007 with 160k miles on it. I drove a gladiator/Rubicon on vacation (having owned previously an 87 and a 91 wrangler) jumped right in, took off the top and LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! how much?? my Gecko green Mojave order has been placed and due in Oct. YUP Im going from a hummer to the Gladiator! It fits my bill,
1- towing, has to be able to pull 3500lbs through New England
2- needs to be able to toss home depot / lowes stuff in the back
3- needs to handle New England winters and the spring pocked roads with ease
4- I wanted a removable roof and doors

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Growing up I never relished sticking out. Driving a Gladiator with the top/doors off, it's hard not to.

The last few years I just decided to not care (not that I ever did, but less so). I haven't cut my hair in over a year. I needed something to keep it out of my face so I bought a red/white/blue headband.

Last week I'm rolling into work with the front doors and freedom panels off. I get up to the steps and my boss greets me, "Morning Lt. Dan. " I usually take the headband off when I pull into the garage but I guess they saw me on the way in. It's been a while since I had seen the movie so I did a quick google image search. Sometimes you just fit the description :CWL:

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
There have been a few snarky remarks, mostly from Gen X'ers.
I then remind them that Jeep has made all sorts of trucks from 1941 until 2000.
"Oh, I didn't know that." :headbang:
That's a weird comment from GenX'ers since Jeep trucks were pretty common during our formative years.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Gladiator is ugly.

Its elongated form looks awkward. But it serves a purpose. So its cool in a way. Because of the length all factory wheels look too small.

But put 35s on it and it looks purposeful. Ugly, but purposeful.

This is in contrast to something like the Pontiac Aztec that was ugly but purposeLESS. The ugly was because of all kinds of strange pointless styling features. It wasn't caused by the functional requirements of the design.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
The Gladiator is ugly.

Its elongated form looks awkward. But it serves a purpose. So its cool in a way. Because of the length all factory wheels look too small.

This is in contrast to something like the Pontiac Aztec that was ugly but purposeLESS. The ugly was because of all kinds of strange pointless styling features. It wasn't caused by the functional requirements of the design.
See I disagree. I don’t think the Gladiator is ugly, it’s awkward but not ugly and it’s only awkward because it’s compared to the Wrangler. Pontiac aztek though? Now that’s an ugly ass car. It’s right up there with the Prius, PT cruiser, Ford Edsel. Every single cube style car ever made…Nissan juke, Hyundai Tiburon. 🤮

Sponsored

Montana_Wildcat

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ram Power Wagon
Occupation
#BBN #RaiderNation
I'm a high school teacher in small-town Eastern Montana. All the students have an opinion and I get amused by all the comments. First of all, when someone gets a new vehicle in town, it's always front-page news. They have either been absolutely fascinated with it ("Hey, can I take your new Jeep for a drive?!?!") or completely disgusted with it (If it's not a "Ram Cummins", it's not worth anything). 🤣

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See I disagree. I don’t think the Gladiator is ugly, it’s awkward but not ugly and it’s only awkward because it’s compared to the Wrangler. Pontiac aztek though? Now that’s an ugly ass car. It’s right up there with the Prius, PT cruiser, Ford Edsel. Every single cube style car ever made…Nissan juke, Hyundai Tiburon. 🤮
I think you are right. Awkward is a better term. The proportions are off, especially with stock sized tires. The same basic design looks handsome in a Wrangler. Especially the 4 door.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I've always considered the Gladiator to be ugly (and still do). Now I consider it wonderfully ugly. Kinda like a Glock.
That's part of the appeal for Jeep. The Wrangler and Gladiator aren't particularly attractive. They're utilitarian.

As far as polarizing vehicles, the OP must have never owned a Prius, Yugo, Aztek, Miata (1st gen), Lumina APV, any minivan...

If anything, I'd say the polarizing opinions are more severe within the Jeep community.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
The Gladiator is ugly.

I've always thought the JT looks awkward with anything smaller than meaty 33"; 35"-37" look the best, proportionally.

I understand the "Wrangler with a bed" mindset of the company, but I've thought the JT would look better if the body was moved forward just a bit. Yes, that impacts approach angles, etc. But it's a visual balance thing.

I did a quick pshop a couple years ago to see how it'd look:
uBNXcbD.jpg

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
That's a weird comment from GenX'ers since Jeep trucks were pretty common during our formative years.
I would have thought so too, but the only ones sold in the 90's were Comanches. The 80's had the Scrambler, but they only sold a few thousand. All I can think is that it's trendy to bag on Gladiators.
Sponsored