Occupation
Buyer

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see the comment on here a lot that people want a faster gladiator or they want a regular production 5.7. Hate to break it to you but that won’t happen. F
Unless you haven't been paying attention the 4xe makes 375 hp and 470 ft-lbs of torque. Its going to happen. Just not using traditional tech like a V8 for the reasons you mentioned.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I see the comment on here a lot that people want a faster gladiator or they want a regular production 5.7. Hate to break it to you but that won’t happen.
I see this a lot too. Generally the people that say it will never happen are people that already own a JT, lol.

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
Unless you haven't been paying attention the 4xe makes 375 hp and 470 ft-lbs of torque. Its going to happen. Just not using traditional tech like a V8 for the reasons you mentioned.
The 4xe isn’t a direct compete with full size. Until it is, which I don’t doubt will happen at some point but for now it’s not.

Point being, there is a reason they went with a midsize platform in the Jeep and stayed there ending the rumor mill on the Dakota revival. When they rebranded to Ram trucks, they wanted the focus on full size and commercial trucks. Anything that would considerably compare with the full size or commercial line but is smaller has to logically be cheaper and they don’t want to lose the sales. That’s why a mid size, on-platform Jeep truck makes sense. It’s too costly to be a fleet vehicle for most people looking for fleet vehicles and they can keep the price high because there is nothing else in the FCA lineup that poses a sales risk.

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
I see this a lot too. Generally the people that say it will never happen are people that already own a JT, lol.
And generally the people who think it will happen dream about it happening without reasoning why it won’t happen.
Editing this for further reasoning, look at Ford and Chevy. Neither of them offer a single engine crossover between their full size and midsize trucks. FCA offers two. The other brands are working so hard to keep them separated that they’re spending resources on 6 or 7 engine choices between the two platforms.

Sponsored

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
I have a bronco res. I was a first day reservation.

I sat in one at a dealer and the fit and finish was not good so I bought my gladiator instead.

I moved my res to '22 incase I have regrets and decide I still want the bronco.

So far it seems like a lot of reviews are in favor of the bronco over the wrangler but I think that'll change when the new wears off. For my taste it just isn't better in so many ways. I'm not going into detail here but frankly I'm surprised by the reviews. I don't know what they're seeing that I didn't.

Hopefully they'll get the kinks worked out next year because the whole process was a huge and infuriating process and to hear that the quality issues I experienced made there way into production makes me happy moved on.

Mojave Gladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave | Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
The new Bronco having issues… pretty much the same story 25 years ago!

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
And generally the people who think it will happen dream about it happening without reasoning why it won’t happen.
It's such low-hanging fruit. They have it, it fits, it would sell. Sure, there are reasons to think they wouldn't do it- but it's not a pipe dream.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I think we see a 3.6 V6 TT before any V8 in the JT. Probably the end of the Eco in the JT once the new Grand Cherokee 2 row comes out with the 3.6 TT option. Much like Ford canning their 3.0 diesel and Tundra canning their 5.7 to go with a 3.5 V6 TT. I will say Ford is years ahead of the game having the 2.7 and 3.5 turbo V6s. I do believe the 2.7 will be an option for the 6G Ranger. The current Ranger is on an older global platform (2011ish). Ford is putting out 2nd Gen V6 TT while everyone else is getting started. I also expect Nissan to ditch their 5.6 in the Titan and Armada in their next redesign for the new 3.8 in the Frontier (with added Turbos). Just makes sense that Ram will move to bail on the 5.7 to do the same with their 3.6. With the Tundra pushing 30 MPGs (hybrid TT) everyone else will have to respond.

Last edited:

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I see the comment on here a lot that people want a faster gladiator or they want a regular production 5.7. Hate to break it to you but that won’t happen. FCA ended the production of the Dakota to focus on the full size truck market and they didn’t bring it back because the expectation was that they would offer the big engine in a smaller than full size package as they’re known to do and that would eat away full size sales and profit margins. The gladiator made sense because there was no expectation of losing it with a giant motor rather they could be platform consistent with the JL and use the options available. It also is a brick of a truck and more than likely the v8 would get worst gas mileage than they already do with the 6 and eat away at the cafe standards. You might get a limited production 392. But I would not wait on a regular production 8cly model.
I'd say the Gladiator needs 50-75 more hp to make people feel satisfied. The 5.7L makes 395hp and still runs 15/21 mpg numbers in a heavy truck. Gladiator is 5100#, and a crew cab 1500 Ram V8 sits around 7000#.

They can de-tune the 5.7L so it'd make 350hp/400tq, which would increase gas mileage. Put it in a lighter truck (aerodynamics might be a push because of the JT's size vs. a 1500) and mpgs won't be as bad as you think. It'd make even more mpgs if they added the cylinder turn-off feature (I don't know if FCA uses that tech or not).

Sponsored

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
Come on, the article itself is clickbait. The article says "Two owners on the Bronco6G forum are reporting various issues..." TWO! If those are the types of numbers that justify an article to be written, we have a ton of JT owners on this site that need to be interviewed for their news stories.

No offense to the OP, but for a Gladiator site, we sure post about Broncos a lot. My wife and I pre-ordered one for her, and I believe it's in production now. Hopefully we won't be the THIRD to report issues, when it arrives, lol!
I'm a member on the forum. There's a thread with a line of Broncos outside the MAP, all with "bad top" written on the window. It's bad.

That being said, we have our very own thread right here on the matter.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/roof-leak-in-back.25332/

I mean, shit, how's that old jeep joke go? If it ain't leaking, the fluids are empty?

Glass houses and all, boys.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Editing this for further reasoning, look at Ford and Chevy. Neither of them offer a single engine crossover between their full size and midsize trucks. FCA offers two. The other brands are working so hard to keep them separated that they’re spending resources on 6 or 7 engine choices between the two platforms.
Ford shares engines all over, just because the Full size and Mid size don't doesn't mean anything.

In recent history, Ford rolls out a motor in a platform and then applies it to another vehicle. The Raptor switched to the V6TT, which is an old motor refreshed. Previously it was in Explorers, Expeditions, Taurus, and Lincolns.

Limiting your vision to only one component to fit your position is wrong. These multi-billion dollar companies don't look at one thing. They look at all the things.

Also, these conglomerate car builders also operate "independently" between the brands to the best of their ability. Jeep isn't really concerned with cannibalizing sales of RAM trucks. If manufacturers really thought that, why did Cadillac come out with the Escalade? Why does GMC exist?

Because some suckers exist out there that will buy overpriced goods.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I think we see a 3.6 V6 TT before any V8 in the JT. Probably the end of the Eco in the JT once the new Grand Cherokee 2 row comes out with the 3.6 TT option.
I'd love it if Jeep would borrow the Alfa TT. Not sure how the Italians would think of it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 4xe isn’t a direct compete with full size. Until it is, which I don’t doubt will happen at some point but for now it’s not.

Point being, there is a reason they went with a midsize platform in the Jeep and stayed there ending the rumor mill on the Dakota revival. When they rebranded to Ram trucks, they wanted the focus on full size and commercial trucks. Anything that would considerably compare with the full size or commercial line but is smaller has to logically be cheaper and they don’t want to lose the sales. That’s why a mid size, on-platform Jeep truck makes sense. It’s too costly to be a fleet vehicle for most people looking for fleet vehicles and they can keep the price high because there is nothing else in the FCA lineup that poses a sales risk.
I said nothing about full sized trucks. I was responding to this statement by you:

I see the comment on here a lot that people want a faster gladiator or they want a regular production 5.7. Hate to break it to you but that won’t happen. F
We were talking specifically about power and speed. Your comment was a response to my statement that the current Gladiator is too slow for my tastes.

I'm happy to play "lets change that topic". But lets finish one before we start another.

A lot of people DO want a faster gladiator - like you said.

Jeep is most likely going to give it to them in the form of a 375 hp 475 ft-b of torque hybrid.

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
Ford shares engines all over, just because the Full size and Mid size don't doesn't mean anything.

In recent history, Ford rolls out a motor in a platform and then applies it to another vehicle. The Raptor switched to the V6TT, which is an old motor refreshed. Previously it was in Explorers, Expeditions, Taurus, and Lincolns.

Limiting your vision to only one component to fit your position is wrong. These multi-billion dollar companies don't look at one thing. They look at all the things.
I don’t think you understand the economics behind platform separation. Tell me specifically which engine the Ford F-150 full size truck shares with the Ford ranger mid size truck. And then tell me specifically why you believe there isn’t one. It’s economics. Plain and simple. We already know FCA is willing to stick absurd engines in small platforms. Dodge has been known for that since the 70s at least. And you might get the 392 gladiator for a limited time. But economics IS the reason they will not make a standard production 5.7 gladiator.
Sponsored