First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Ive been told its just the frontal areas of the trailer, basically leaving the Gladiator to only tow very small trailers. This is the first time Ive heard of deducting the front of the jeep.
Well, if you think about it, it's the TOTAL frontal area that they're referring to.

So, having a frontal area of let's say, in Gren71's case, 80 sq.ft. and the frontal area of our Jeeps is 36 sq.ft. then subtracting the area of our Jeeps from the area of the trailer would give you the balance of area subjected to the wind whilst towing which in his case was calculated to be 44 sq.ft., well under the total frontal area exposed of 55 sq.ft. as stated in our owners manuals.

Ergo, looking at the TOTAL frontal area, in Gren71's case, he's within specs because the Jeep breaks up some of that total frontal area all by itself.

At least that's the way I'm looking at it. Could be WAY off base but it seems to make sense.
Sponsored

Chappy11BRN

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Max Tow
Occupation
ED RN
Well, if you think about it, it's the TOTAL frontal area that they're referring to.

So, having a frontal area of let's say, in Gren71's case, 80 sq.ft. and the frontal area of our Jeeps is 36 sq.ft. then subtracting the area of our Jeeps from the area of the trailer would give you the balance of area subjected to the wind whilst towing which in his case was calculated to be 44 sq.ft., well under the total frontal area exposed of 55 sq.ft. as stated in our owners manuals.

Ergo, looking at the TOTAL frontal area, in Gren71's case, he's within specs because the Jeep breaks up some of that total frontal area all by itself.

At least that's the way I'm looking at it. Could be WAY off base but it seems to make sense.
I hear you. But, there is still air resistance across the entire frontal area of the trailer, despite the jeep breaking some of the resistance. I've found different information about how to calculate frontal area, so I'm curious as to what is the correct answer.

Anecdotally, I towed an 83 El Camino on a car hauler and barely noticed. However, when I towed my travel trailer that weighs 2000lbs less, with a frontal area of 88sqft, I noticed. So, one had more weight but less frontal area. I don't know the correct answer.

WanderingJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Blue Overland - Prev, 2014 Polar JKU
Occupation
contract manager
love any kind of camper talk. Im not with the big boys yet, just got a free pop up 2 years ago and was my first experience towing/backing a trailer up but looking at travel trailers now, seeing as Im sure mice destroyed my popup canvas, but anyways. May not be completely relevant to this thread but saw this the other day and had me wondering why it hasnt been on a range of trailers before...that I know of. An ABS system. https://www.lci1.com/products/rv-supplier/abs

Aceman8772

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
I hear you. But, there is still air resistance across the entire frontal area of the trailer, despite the jeep breaking some of the resistance. I've found different information about how to calculate frontal area, so I'm curious as to what is the correct answer.

Anecdotally, I towed an 83 El Camino on a car hauler and barely noticed. However, when I towed my travel trailer that weighs 2000lbs less, with a frontal area of 88sqft, I noticed. So, one had more weight but less frontal area. I don't know the correct answer.
I experienced the same. Felt easier pulling 6500lbs (u-haul car trailer + loaded up Subaru Forester) than to pull my 3600lb Jayco Baja.

My simplistic brain computes the air flow moving over the top of my jeep hits the trailer vice continuing to flow over the car trailer.

20221231_101605.jpg

20220728_060248.jpg

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Ya agree my TT is a beefcake 6k but is only 16’ long and 7’ wide. It towed really well.

Sponsored

Chappy11BRN

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Max Tow
Occupation
ED RN
I experienced the same. Felt easier pulling 6500lbs (u-haul car trailer + loaded up Subaru Forester) than to pull my 3600lb Jayco Baja.

My simplistic brain computes the air flow moving over the top of my jeep hits the trailer vice continuing to flow over the car trailer.

Jeep Gladiator New camper specs 20220728_060248

Jeep Gladiator New camper specs 20220728_060248
What MPG do you get with the TT? I have a TT that is nearly identical. I get 10mpg now, after throwing on 34s.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
What MPG do you get with the TT? I have a TT that is nearly identical. I get 10mpg now, after throwing on 34s.
I get anywhere from 12.5 to 13.5 MPG (calculated fill to fill) towing on a stone stock Overland (6/19 build) so, average is around 13 MPG. Yours suffers from the increased tire geometry and weight of the tires. I'm sure that if you went back to stock size tires, you'd gain a few MPGs towing.

Chappy11BRN

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Max Tow
Occupation
ED RN
I get anywhere from 12.5 to 13.5 MPG (calculated fill to fill) towing on a stone stock Overland (6/19 build) so, average is around 13 MPG. Yours suffers from the increased tire geometry and weight of the tires. I'm sure that if you went back to stock size tires, you'd gain a few MPGs towing.
I know why I lost power and MPG, I was curious what you were getting. Im thinking about regearing to 4.56s when I can.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting ready to add AirLift 1000 bags and a Curt Echo to my JTR. My mileage isn’t too bad pulling my GeoPro 12RK. When my Sunrider is open it seems to redirect drag somewhat, maybe 🤔 that’s why?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ99SDD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2A7TQ6XB0ZU8A&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z45CDR9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2UUWCCR4G5EFA&psc=1

Jeep Gladiator New camper specs BFD53F1D-3EBA-4126-88F3-D932610E2BD2
Jeep Gladiator New camper specs BFD53F1D-3EBA-4126-88F3-D932610E2BD2
I figure your elevated towing mpg is due to having a smaller and lighter TT

i used to get 14s with my wolf pup and have gotten 16ish with my mothers rpod 153

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I figure your elevated towing mpg is due to having a smaller and lighter TT

i used to get 14s with my wolf pup and have gotten 16ish with my mothers rpod 153
That too. Like pulling a box of styrofoam peanuts 🥜.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
Hey guys I am looking at a 2020 Apex ultra light 245BHS. The specs, dry weight of 4568, hitch weight of 578. i am towing with a stock Mojave. I am able to lower the hitch weight by 30 pounds by moving the camper spare tire from the tongue to the rear bumper. Thoughts on towing this? I ordered the curt echo brake controller and I have a good WDH.
Be careful with the dry weight number on the spec sheet. Every trailer leaves the lot exceeding that number. Any factory or dealer installed options add to that number. Dry weight may even mean no propane or batteries. There are no uniform regulations that guarantees it's measured the same from one product to another. Almost every RV owner loads more stuff into their rig than they ever thought they would. You are going to have to watch EVERY pound to make sure you are in the good. The handful of Mojaves I looked at had payload rating less than 1000 lbs. So you're going to have to watch every pound of options or cargo you put into the vehicle too. Whatever you do, get the weights measured. Some RV advisors have said to have the dealer weigh the trailer before you sign and take delivery. After you take delivery make sure you weigh the rig at something like a CAT scale. Then you will know where you stand against the Mojave GVWR and the GCWR.

I have a JTR and tow a Lance 1985 trailer. Total loaded trailer weight is 5800 lbs. I was 10 lbs over on the GVWR and 1000 lbs under the GCWR. I suspect you are going to be in the same boat given the tow rating for a Mojave is 6000 lbs versus the JTR 7000 lb rating. You're going to be right at the limits with no margins for error or more toys you might want to add to the trip.

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My Nephew-in-law(!) moved from Seattle to the Central Coast of California last June. I towed his 16 foot enclosed trailer that weighed 4500 lbs loaded. Took it to a commercial scale so I know that's accurate.

I used the Curt Echo - worked great! - and I even bought rear bags but ran out of time to install them before I left California
Jeep Gladiator New camper specs tempImage7yMwcY
. So you can see a slight squat but not bad at all.

It towed just fine well over 1,000 miles. I would CONSIDER towing a travel railer if I had one but I own a 26 foot Class C RV and tow my Gladiator with it!

Jeep Gladiator New camper specs tempImageUW9d4S

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
taxa outdoor mantis, 4,000 miles trip and average 19 mpg , I have the ecodiesel with the mopar trailer brake controller.
on the scale was fully loaded.
Jeep Gladiator New camper specs 315D8F73-1B53-4B1E-AC69-CB540E02171F
Jeep Gladiator New camper specs BB9C1F6B-ED34-46FB-A9D0-8782B55ED321
Sponsored

Last edited: