First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Having the decked plus the camper could give some nice storage. Or even building a subfloor with storage beneath, water, etc. Some clever designs coming out for sure.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Not a fan of the decked system myself. You have to drop the tailgate for everything. I'd rather have a subfloor with storage. Only has to be about 6 inches. IMO

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Just got off the phone with Rossmonster around 400lbs not including the decked system or any add-ons. The bed is fully above the cab. So it doesn't interfere with the bed hardly at all.

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
Alucab has the best entry of them all. Those are awesome campers
I would have bought the alucab if it weren’t for the tailgate delete. I use my tailgate more than any other thing while on the road. If they inset it just enough to maintain the tailgate I would have bought one. Opted for the explorer canopy and an autohome instead

Reactions: PJZ
OP
OP
PJZ

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Just got off the phone with Rossmonster around 400lbs not including the decked system or any add-ons. The bed is fully above the cab. So it doesn't interfere with the bed hardly at all.
Having the bed fully over the cab isa big help. We built a pop up full size transit. You had to move a part of the bed every time you wanted more standing space in the van (it was a low roof). The small bed of the JT would be usable with the bed still fully in place. Most of all the others require you to move bed floor panels to move around in the bed of the truck.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Alucab has the best entry of them all. Those are awesome campers
Helps when Alucab has a good selection of dealers. I have one close, its a consideration when the two older kids are gone 😊

Reactions: PJZ

Jcmonty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD, 2017 Sprinter 170 (For Sale!)
Did they mention lead time? The bed over cab is awesome except that you lose access to the freedom panels being useful

Sponsored

Jay61

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JKUR 2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I would have bought the alucab if it weren’t for the tailgate delete. I use my tailgate more than any other thing while on the road. If they inset it just enough to maintain the tailgate I would have bought one. Opted for the explorer canopy and an autohome instead
Interesting, I got the Alu Cab Canopy Camper because of the tailgate delete. You cannot seal campers that utilize the tailgate no matter how hard you try, I have yet to see anyone be able to, and the dust from the trail gets into the camper. I have had a few canopy camper style campers in the past that all used the tailgate and dust was always an issue as was rain/water at times.

I did a trip to Alaska back in the early 1980s with a canopy I used as a camper utilizing the tailgate. I had all kinds of stuff get covered with dust and when moisture got in there, it made a thin layer of slime like mud. Maybe it was the conditions of the Alcan back then which had not been paved yet, but the shaking of the truck with the canopy allowed dust to continuously get on everything.

I have now put a few hundred miles on FS roads (picked it up the latter half of August) in the ACCC and have yet to find even the slightest amount of dust or moisture (it rained cat and dogs, being in the southeast I had to deal with a hurricane a couple of weeks ago.) Maybe the technology has advanced to be able to keep dust out when you still use the tailgate, but I am still seeing a lot of people complaining about it on various forums. From what I understand now it is the hinge at the bottom of the tailgate that causes the issues with dust, it cannot be sealed and have the tailgate still work.

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
With all the running around I’ve done in AZ/NM/UT etc I’ve never noticed any dust or debris with my explorer and tailgate get beyond the tailgate itself. It certainly isn’t air tight, but they seem to have done a great job with it. If they made the explorer with a built in pop top, I’d buy that. The tailgate is where I prep my food, fold my laundry, lay out to stretch after long hikes, etc. a great resource when you stay places without infrastructure!

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
Interesting, I got the Alu Cab Canopy Camper because of the tailgate delete. You cannot seal campers that utilize the tailgate no matter how hard you try, I have yet to see anyone be able to, and the dust from the trail gets into the camper. I have had a few canopy camper style campers in the past that all used the tailgate and dust was always an issue as was rain/water at times.

I did a trip to Alaska back in the early 1980s with a canopy I used as a camper utilizing the tailgate. I had all kinds of stuff get covered with dust and when moisture got in there, it made a thin layer of slime like mud. Maybe it was the conditions of the Alcan back then which had not been paved yet, but the shaking of the truck with the canopy allowed dust to continuously get on everything.

I have now put a few hundred miles on FS roads (picked it up the latter half of August) in the ACCC and have yet to find even the slightest amount of dust or moisture (it rained cat and dogs, being in the southeast I had to deal with a hurricane a couple of weeks ago.) Maybe the technology has advanced to be able to keep dust out when you still use the tailgate, but I am still seeing a lot of people complaining about it on various forums. From what I understand now it is the hinge at the bottom of the tailgate that causes the issues with dust, it cannot be sealed and have the tailgate still work.
Do AluCabs have positive pressure vents or do they just rely on seals? I've only looked at one in person and don't recall.

I was talking to a lady who has a Go Fast Camper on her Tacoma. Those still use the tailgate with a lifting upper door. She added a positive pressure vent on the passenger side lift up door and said it creates enough pressure inside the cap when moving that dust doesn't get in. She did seal up the tailgate best as possible given it has to lift up and down, but said the vent made a big difference. Something to thing about for those using campers with the tailgate.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Alu-Cab is full sealed, no vent. I get zero dust inside mine.

There are a lot of interior seams that need to get sikaflexed too, it’s not just the tail. But zero dust is achievable

Jay61

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JKUR 2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Do AluCabs have positive pressure vents or do they just rely on seals? I've only looked at one in person and don't recall.

I was talking to a lady who has a Go Fast Camper on her Tacoma. Those still use the tailgate with a lifting upper door. She added a positive pressure vent on the passenger side lift up door and said it creates enough pressure inside the cap when moving that dust doesn't get in. She did seal up the tailgate best as possible given it has to lift up and down, but said the vent made a big difference. Something to thing about for those using campers with the tailgate.
I am glad to hear there is an option to keep the dust out. That is always a complaint I hear when people have their tailgate incorporated into their camper set-up. I know I get zero dust and zero moisture. I have also heard some complain about moisture/water getting in when the tailgate is used.
Sponsored