Sponsored

ElDirector

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Had my 2020 Rubi at the dealer Friday for the "vague steering" TSB. As soon as I mentioned it, the service writer was "Yep, pretty common. Let us take a look." A couple of hours later, they confirmed and ordered parts. Per the service writer, they have done quite a few, and know exactly what to do. Here is hoping. Parts should be in on Wednesday.
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Had my 2020 Rubi at the dealer Friday for the "vague steering" TSB. As soon as I mentioned it, the service writer was "Yep, pretty common. Let us take a look." A couple of hours later, they confirmed and ordered parts. Per the service writer, they have done quite a few, and know exactly what to do. Here is hoping. Parts should be in on Wednesday.
Mine goes in tomorrow again will see what they say. At least this time they called me to bring it in so maybe will have some success

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Mine 2021 came with the newest 7675AB steel box, but has an 1 inch freeplay and pulling right slightly. All bolts are nice and tight from the factory. The play is before the pitman arm, that means the box came with bad lash adjustment and/or bad machined components. I think it got worse for some over times is due to the gears breaking in, worn in and meshed together, which will causing more freeplay/delay before the gears can makes contact.

I attempted to make an adjustment, but unable to break the set screw loose. Will try again using pencil torch this time, but wondering is there an o-ring under there?

Toyfrog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Mine 2021 came with the newest 7675AB steel box, but has an 1 inch freeplay and pulling right slightly. All bolts are nice and tight from the factory. The play is before the pitman arm, that means the box came with bad lash adjustment and/or bad machined components. I think it got worse for some over times is due to the gears breaking in, worn in and meshed together, which will causing more freeplay/delay before the gears can makes contact.

I attempted to make an adjustment, but unable to break the set screw loose. Will try again using pencil torch this time, but wondering is there an o-ring under there?
This describes mine perfect, 2021 Mojave with 3000 miles, seems to have gotten worse since I picked it up in early February. My steering wheel was off a tad to the left when I picked it. Seems like I am always putting constant left in it to go straight. Guess a trip to the dealership is in my future.

ChaosActual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S
Box is being replace again, as this is how the steering wheel looked on the way to the dealer for service. This is traveling straight.

Pretty crazy, luckily the dealer was understanding of the urgency and was able to get me in much sooner than the initial 2-3 weeks.
PXL_20210418_145507893.jpg
I know it looks bad but your alignment between your tires is fine. They just didn't adjust the drag link to get the steering centered. You could do it yourself in a few minutes and save a trip to the dealer.

Sponsored

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
This describes mine perfect, 2021 Mojave with 3000 miles, seems to have gotten worse since I picked it up in early February. My steering wheel was off a tad to the left when I picked it. Seems like I am always putting constant left in it to go straight. Guess a trip to the dealership is in my future.
The suck part is, even getting the new box is a hit or miss deal. I decide to adjust my instead, as it hasn't gotten any worst after 1500 mi. I will documents down, on how many turns before it bottom out from the factory setting and how much to back out. I'm going for the 1/4" or less freeplay, without binding of course.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The suck part is, even getting the new box is a hit or miss deal. I decide to adjust my instead, as it hasn't gotten any worst after 1500 mi. I will documents down, on how many turns before it bottom out from the factory setting and how much to back out. I'm going for the 1/4" or less freeplay, without binding of course.
Mine went to the shop yesterday for look at the steering box. Funny thing was the dealership contacted me to please bring it in to have a look. Will see what they have to say as am expecting a call from them today on how they will proceed. I've been on the fence on to change it or maybe just get better steering stabilizer and see if that makes it better. But since they called me and wanted to look at it I just went ahead and brought it to them. Looks like from what I can tell new management and also updated TSB so they trying to cover their basis with people who brought trucks in last year and they told us to basically get lost

Bookem.Dano.Bookem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator North, Ducati Scrambler
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I know it looks bad but your alignment between your tires is fine. They just didn't adjust the drag link to get the steering centered. You could do it yourself in a few minutes and save a trip to the dealer.
The Jeep tracked perfectly straight. The issue i had was there was no input to turn until the steering wheel was moved that far in each direction.

Driving on any type of switchback was very dangerous. I would go from turned almost half way one to completely the other way before it recognized to turn the actual wheels.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Mine went to the shop yesterday for look at the steering box. Funny thing was the dealership contacted me to please bring it in to have a look. Will see what they have to say as am expecting a call from them today on how they will proceed. I've been on the fence on to change it or maybe just get better steering stabilizer and see if that makes it better. But since they called me and wanted to look at it I just went ahead and brought it to them. Looks like from what I can tell new management and also updated TSB so they trying to cover their basis with people who brought trucks in last year and they told us to basically get lost
Good luck. Hopefully it'll works out well for you

ChaosActual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S
The Jeep tracked perfectly straight. The issue i had was there was no input to turn until the steering wheel was moved that far in each direction.

Driving on any type of switchback was very dangerous. I would go from turned almost half way one to completely the other way before it recognized to turn the actual wheels.
Gotcha. Yeah that is bad. Really bad. What ended up fixing it?

Sponsored

Bookem.Dano.Bookem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator North, Ducati Scrambler
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Gotcha. Yeah that is bad. Really bad. What ended up fixing it?
The work write up stated they replaced the steering box.... again. The original one was replaced with the steel one last year.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
It seems like, FCA is buying time for permanent fix, if any. FCA is aware of the issues, could've test drove it before leaving the factory, but they choose not to do so. The consumers has to deal with it.

The sunvisors also annoying as heck. They decided to used spring clip insert nuts instead of weld-on nuts, i had to adds flat washers to stabilize it.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well just got call the truck is done. According to them after testing it the truck did wander at highway speeds and there was noticeable play in the steering so they changed out the box. So will see today when I pick it up if I get better or worse. I'm going to drive that sucker a good bit since I am supposed to be leaving on a trip next week and don't want to have to deal with issues while on the road

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
I wonder whats up with this steering box design. The old GC for example steers great. same type of setup. The JT box is heavier slower and has a wooden feel. This is no accident. Its a deliberate design point but what I dont understand why. Is it part of the rollover mitigation strategy? FCA seems to be walking a fine line between wander and what ever design point they are keeping to themselves.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well just got call the truck is done. According to them after testing it the truck did wander at highway speeds and there was noticeable play in the steering so they changed out the box. So will see today when I pick it up if I get better or worse. I'm going to drive that sucker a good bit since I am supposed to be leaving on a trip next week and don't want to have to deal with issues while on the road
Initial after driving home. Steering seems tighter. Not much play at all in the steering anymore. Haven't had a chance to really get it on the highway yet since the drive home was just through a bunch of red lights, etc. But so far it seems more responsive but will need to drive more at higher speeds to see for sure
Sponsored