Sponsored

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A new TSB has been issued for improved steering feel in the JT Gladiator. Please see attached.

TSB: tsb-08-074-20-pdf.356442.pdf
Thanks Jay!
Reality may be a little different than how the TSB reads.
Jeep Canada Customer Care says dealer has to review and report to FCA that repair is required before parts are ordered.
Sponsored

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The ONLY thing that can be "aligned" on a Jeep without IFS is the toe and total caster - and caster requires parts changes. There's no factory adjustment for caster. If they said they changed caster, then they had to replace the lower control arms.
If they said they changed the side-to-side caster DIFFERENCE, they are full of BS - can't be done, period.
Camber also cannot be changed on these Jeeps.

In summary -
the ONLY thing they can align without parts is TOE. (AND recenter the steering wheel which can actually have an impact on wander)

With adjustable lower control arms, or longer arms, etc. - they can change caster, but only by the exact same amount on both sides (you can't twist the axle tube)

If one side is .5 degrees higher than the other as far as caster, it will always and forever be .5 degrees higher than the other side.
If they did change it +1 degree on the left then they also changed it +1 degree on the right.
Can't twist one side and not the other.

Sort of funny saying these things get aligned in a way........
I bought a Ford F100 new back in '75. Needed an alignment. I watched. Mechanic used a torch for a long time! Twin I-beam front suspension if I remember right. He also had a big bottle of rye that was about 2/3 gone at 1:00 pm.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Did that.
Dealer said no. Said they compared our vehicle to one in stock. They were the same.
(Our dash cam shows that the tech took a 6 minute test drive; parking lot; smooth city streets. Speed never over 70 because he hit that once.)
Wish he had gone to a drive-through car wash. Would have been just as good a test, and the Jeep would have been clean.
Second dealer was much better.
Let's see how it goes. Parts are ordered!

rolape2

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 XLT FX4 (wifes); 2020 Jeep Gator Gladiator, Sport S, Max tow; 1988 Suzuki Samurai; 1994 BMW 325i Cabrio; 2004 Coachman Aurora Motorhome.
I bought a Ford F100 new back in '75. Needed an alignment. I watched. Mechanic used a torch for a long time! Twin I-beam front suspension if I remember right. He also had a big bottle of rye that was about 2/3 gone at 1:00 pm.
Yep, And they would do it on the old straight axle also. But, I believe, You could only adjust the camber that way, Not the Caster. On Fords they have offset sleeves they use on the upper ball joint. Not Jeep. Their "suposedly" are special offset ball joints that can be used, but they are not factory, so dealer could not/would not do it

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Well well well, after waiting for an hour the service manager walks over and says, "ok sir, these parts are on order and they actually will be available much sooner. Maybe 3 weeks. It's your steering box. We'll call you."

Amazing!! Very happy.

Sponsored

Sandia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I go in tomorrow morning for the new steering box. They said they might not have a loaner so I might be in for a good wait tomorrow. I will post Wednesday to let everyone know.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
House Flipper
Mines going in tomorrow. Anyone else had theirs done yet and noticed a difference

rborgers

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Mines going in tomorrow. Anyone else had theirs done yet and noticed a difference
Got mine done today, and the difference is night and day. I had taken it in three different times for the wandering issue, and it still wandered. The third time the dealership did an alignment which made some difference. After having the dealer perform an alignment I installed a Fox steering stabilize and that helped a little, but it still wandered. I was skeptical about the new steering box resolving the steering issues after having taken it in three times before.

The new steering box and power steering software update made a unbelievable difference. The steering feels much tighter and doesn’t wander like it did. I can now comfortably drive with one hand even when I had cross winds. I now enjoy driving my Gladiato.

SWATDEN

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to get a Gladiator
Occupation
Professional Whisk(e)y drinker
Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") FFB6A02B-6069-4D7E-9D04-B339620FB590
Just picked mines up...and like others said. Its night and day. No more wandering, correcting (and overcorrecting). Tracks straighter and here in Hawaii i can occasionally throw the “shaka” all while driving with one hand on the freeway. Hope you all get yours fixed soon.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
BS is correct. the TSB TELLS THE DEALERSHIP SHOP HOW TO FIX IT. Geesh, if the customer complaint matches the symptoms listed in the TSB, the TSB instructs the dealer how to fix it. It's not an option for them. It's a directive.
Customer says xyz, TSB describes xyz, TSB says to fix xyz using these parts in this manner.
End of story.
Last I knew about TSBs it wasn't an option, especially if still under warranty.
They also would have no idea if only 2% are impacted - I'd bet even FCA isn't sure YET.
A steering stabilizer does NOT impact play in the steering. It's a bandaid, not a "fix".
Heck, a tightly stretched bungee cord would take play out LOL
This is a common misconception. TSBs are NEVER mandatory or required fixes. The dealer has the right to refuse/deny the fix if they feel it’s not necessary. If Jeep felt strongly enough about it they would have issued a recall instead of TSB. A TSB under warranty just means its free for you, as opposed to paying for it out of warranty. Even then, I’ve seen TSBs covered out of warranty if there was good documentation of the issue while under warranty and existing before the TSB was issued.

To your point though, if the customer states the same symptoms as listed in the TSB they should take action. What’s interesting is the TSB says nothing about going out for a test drive, yet some Jeep dealerships are doing that. A few Jeep employees over on the FB did specifically say a test drive isn’t required and if it was it would be noted on the TSB. It could be a product of low parts supply and dealers confirming the problem really does exists before they get the parts. Problem is you’re at the mercy of the dealer even if they do throw a bunch of BS at you like this dealer clearly did.

Steering Stabilizer fix.... Load of BS for sure. Call a different dealer.

Last edited:

Fawkes

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Building engineer
What determines if you get a TSB I read the TSB and it didn't seem to mention anything about certain vin numbers that I saw unless I missed that. what dealership did you go to. I not going to bother with it till I go in for my first oil change unless I continue to get these dash lights coming on about the Auto/Start Stop. In about 1 1/2 months I have had it come on about 5 times now. If it does it again I am going to bring it in to have them look at it and will discuss this with them also
Hey brother. Youre in Katy! I used to work near there off highway 6 and Richmond. I am in Conroe/Montgomery ow. I went to Sterling Jeep in Navasota. Ok, so I called again and spoke to someone else. He says they can definitely take a look and as long as the issues with steering aren't part of another problem it will be no charge. I am at 4500 miles so will take in when I do oil change. Let me know if that helps.

RAMCTFOLEY

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I just dropped off my gladiator this morning at my local CT dealership. Service rep started with its a Jeep thing BS, I told him that's not acceptable I have 500 miles on it and I've had town fair tire do the alignment twice. They asked me to leave it for the day and I'll get a call after they look at it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is a common misconception. TSBs are NEVER mandatory or required fixes. The dealer has the right to refuse/deny the fix if they feel it’s not necessary. If Jeep felt strongly enough about it they would have issued a recall instead of TSB.

Steering Stabilizer fix.... Load of BS for sure. Call a different dealer.
Then things have changed - it used to be that - this is the fix - and if the dealer didn't, then the customer could take it up a notch to the regional rep. Been there.
If the issue is defined or found in a TSB, then it's an issue that requires a fix.
A RECALL is different - that's not normally done for non-safety issues.
Ford trucks - brake light switch got hot, caused fires - there was a recall. But for squeaking power windows, no recall - if the customer complained of the squeak, the factory said "This is the fix" and if they didn't, you could contact a rep. I've got the corporate letters and TSBs (and "Diagnose and Repair" bulletins) from 2 or 3 decades.

If I go in with loose steering - the dealer can't toss a stabilizer on, or swap track bars or swap other parts unless they can prove the loose steering is due to the other parts. So unless they can show - hey, your pitman arm is toast, it's coming loose - they can't swap that and call it good.

Like the example I gave of exhaust noises - the dealer can't simply retorque the manifold bolts and send you away - maybe ones, but if it recurs, they MUST replace the bolts with those specified, otherwise the customer can escalate.
I did in one case - and got one service manager finding a new job.

Dakeys

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Just FYI for any metro Atlanta area members, called Palmer Jeep (Roswell) this morning and its a month or 2 wait. They are aware of the TSB and sounds like they already have had some vehicles in to correct the issue. Followed up with Mall of GA to see if there was a waitlist there, and the service rep told me they were unaware of the issue and to bring it in with the TSB info. Taking it in today to see if they can get it fixed before Palmer is able to.
Sponsored