Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
LOL... Went to dealer, described my wife's comments, told them i wasnt sure if i was in denial or there really was an issue. Showed them the tsb.
One tech i heard said he'd work it in and drive it even though they are swamped and booked 2 weeks out. He was sort of listening in and seemed very interested in it.
They took it, drove it, checked it over and have had it for an hour.
A guy came walking out with a green paper and said "yes you definitely have a problem. We've got the parts on order".
I said ok, so you felt it, my wife isnt crazy? They responded, Nope it definitely has a problem.
(Posted via my phone while sitting at the dealer)
Sponsored

Last edited:

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Launch Edition
At a Greater Toronto Area (GTA) dealer now. Showed them the TSB. Told me that it’s the alignment that is off (an alignment I got with them less than 6 months ago). Disappointing but not unexpected. I’m too old to start a scene on why this complete bullshit. Rather find another dealer to resolve and whom I will give my future money to. Lame.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
At a Greater Toronto Area (GTA) dealer now. Showed them the TSB. Told me that it’s the alignment that is off (an alignment I got with them less than 6 months ago). Disappointing but not unexpected. I’m too old to start a scene on why this complete bullshit. Rather find another dealer to resolve and whom I will give my future money to. Lame.
The number for FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care is 1-800-465-2001

Team Chrysler is on South Mavis, Mississauga. They were my second dealer. My parts are on order

PM me if you wish.

mapennbsd

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q5
Dropped off this morning at a dealer in MLB Florida. Described steering wandering on the highway, I put on a falcon steering stabilizer that has helped with city driving. Guy was aware of a SW upgrade, but did not know about the steering box replacement. I handed him the TSB, he read through it and said that they will check it out.
Called me after a few hours, said yep qualifies for replacement. Part is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, should be able to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
LOL... Went to dealer, described my wife's comments, told them i wasnt sure if i was in denial or there really was an issue. Showed them the tsb. They took it, drove it, checked it over and have had it for an hour. A guy came walking out with a green paper and said "yes you definitely have a problem. We've got the parts on order". One tech i heard said he'd work it in and drive it even though they are swamped and booked 2 weeks out.
I said ok, so you felt it, my wife isnt crazy? They responded, Nope it definitely has a problem.
This just proves that some people are just less sensitive to these things and reason why some people thought it was a Jeep thing (not you ShadowsPapa). This forum represents a small percentage of JT owners, and the same goes with the JL forums. Imagine the rest of the people who are unaware of the TSB fix and just frustrated/disappointed with how their Jeep handles. I bet all JLs and JTs with the aluminum steering box has some kind of steering issues. FCA knows this so that's why for now they don't make it a recall just to help their bottom line.

Sponsored

CMFINC

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR 1976 CJ5 2010 Raptor 89 F-150 4X
Occupation
DISABLED CARPENTER
Vehicle Showcase
called my dealer this morning.. said he get back with me he needed to look into it.. 1 hour later got a call.. said hes got my parts on the way and made appointment for next friday,. as well as doing the computer re-program for the 37in tires. i have to pay for that part. no problems at all.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This just proves that some people are just less sensitive to these things and reason why some people thought it was a Jeep thing (not you ShadowsPapa). This forum represents a small percentage of JT owners, and the same goes with the JL forums. Imagine the rest of the people who are unaware of the TSB fix and just frustrated/disappointed with how their Jeep handles. I bet all JLs and JTs with the aluminum steering box has some kind of steering issues. FCA knows this so that's why for now they don't make it a recall just to help their bottom line.
Could be because of my experience with classic (ok, old) cars. My SX4 had a loose steering gear - but at 180,000 miles, that was expected. I drove with it until an axle shop said "man, your steering is loose". I decided to pay attention - ordered a new steering sector and swapped it out and WOW, tight sports-car like handling now.
IT was my wife's comments that finally got to me and finally "man up" and perhaps admit my perfect truck isn't. It's not horrible like some! So I could see where others had the issue, some really bad. Some had LOOSE steering, some had wander, some a combo and when it wanders and takes over 1" of movement to right it, that's a really bad thing.
I guess also as a mechanic I have always found I do better with the vehicles of OTHER people, I feel unsure when it comes to my own. Oddly, I'm good and decisive and precise and fix other peoples' cars and trucks with no issue - mine, I seem to waffle and feel unsure. Yeah, I'm defective but there's no TSB for me.
I went in prepared for the worst and ready to argue - but when they said they'd check it out and two of them fully read the whole TSB, I decided it DOES say to check for codes and other stuff, so knew that had to at least do that part. When they had it for a bit over an hour, I felt better about it. Then I saw the guy come walking out with more papers, one of them green.........
There was one thing that made me worry - one guy in the back hollered up "Is it a Rubicon" Nope, it's a stock Overland. "Is it lifted?" Nope, no lift.
But he wasn't directly involved, luckily.

Then I got another shock - and asked them 3 times - "parts will be here tomorrow, can you drop it off first thing and leave it with us?"
Heck yeah - I'll drive my Eagle if I need transportation, or my WJ if my wife doesn't need it.

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
I know other people have said this already, but I just have to reiterate it. I just got my JTM back from the dealer after having the new steering gear installed, and it drives amazing. No more slop in the steering wheel, and it actually tracks straight. Inputs are immediately felt at the wheels. I definitely recommend pushing the issue if you have crap steering.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Quick note to MAYBE help others in my area.
If you are close at all to Ankeny, Iowa, visit Dewey Dodge/Jeep - other than the one fellow in the back asking if it was a Rubicon and if it was lifted, the others didn't offer any real push back. They had not heard of this issue, but they DID read the whole TSB and the tech that actually took my JT and drove it and checked it over seemed "interested" as if he was curious and wanted to know more.

Dewey on the south side of Ankeny - just off I35.
Since I have been there, they now know about the TSB and approved mine for the work. As least 3 people looked at it or read it while I was there.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I think it should be a recall because it is unsafe! An embarrassing thing happened the other day. I was doing 42mph coming up to an intersection near my house. There was a car sitting in the middle right turn lane. As I approached I hit a manhole cover and the jeep swerved and the wheels were nearly in the turn lane. I could have hit that car.

Later my aunt came to visit and said a Jeep that looked exactly like mine almost hit her but swerved just in time.

Sponsored

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
2 fingers - naw, one hand yes.
I can take my hand off the wheel for a while. I've done it for about a quarter mile. And it goes pretty well until it starts tracking left. Then I correct it and take my hand off again, and it decided to go right.
There's one other thing I have noticed - we have been used to driving to town to our favorite ice cream shop. I usually get what they call a "Tornado", the equivalent of a DQ Blizzard.
My 82 SX4 I could drive and eat (well, it's a stick so that could be fun, too), my other vehicles, same thing - just sort of keep a finger on the wheel and even take eyes off the road and you were fine.
The JT you do not take your eyes off the road. My wife likes to look around while driving - I wonder if that's part of her sensation - eyes on the road or you are somewhere else.

I'm going for a drive this AM as I have to see the ent again anyway and do an honest assessment all over again.
Well OK.......My thumb and pointer finger. But that's all, with very little input. I don't have to keep my whole hand on the wheel to drive anymore.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well OK.......My thumb and pointer finger. But that's all, with very little input. I don't have to keep my whole hand on the wheel to drive anymore.
My wife would ask - "but what if you don't have any thumbs"...........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Then we would have paws.......
My cats have thumbs - my wife doesn't.
Honestly.
You should have heard the reaction at a party we were at years ago. It was a retirement party for her boss. This guy, Tom, was playing guitar and doing the "hokey-pokey" and it was going fine until the guy sang "put your left thumb out, put your left thumb in.........." and my wife spoke up and interrupted him and said "but what if you don't have any thumbs".
The retiree, her former boss, said that was the first time she'd ever seen Tom speechless". I mean the guy stopped and stuttered, unable to say a word, likely unable to think of some response that would be PC.
But my wife's friends all broke out laughing loudly - they knew that she was sometimes a bit ornery and didn't mind acknowledging her birth "defect".

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Then I got another shock - and asked them 3 times - "parts will be here tomorrow, can you drop it off first thing and leave it with us?"
Heck yeah - I'll drive my Eagle if I need transportation, or my WJ if my wife doesn't need it.
I am really interested in hearing back from you how much of a difference it makes on yours. I like you don’t think I have a problem because I have driven both a Rubicon with a bad wander for 3-4 days before getting my Overland and the Overland was way way better than the Rubicon in tracking though I would say not as tight as my GMC truck was that I traded in. I certainly don’t have any slop in my steering 1/4” at the worst. I may have the dealership check it out just to see but wouldn’t be surprised to hear mine is not effected.
Sponsored