First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Sounds like there are some concerns over getting parts, but—after everyone who actually need it gets one—is this something everyone with the silver steering box should do? My steering isn’t terrible (I don’t think), but Maybe it could be better?..
I was always in that camp too, "My steering isn’t terrible" "it's not dangerous" ...but I wouldn't let my kid or other relatives drive. I just got off the highway and the steering is much more stable, way more manageable. The steering wheel feels tight now. Felt loose before. I would let a kid learning drive now.
Sponsored

Chinz67

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I get mine back tommorow from having the tsb taking care of. They called today saying that it would be another day because of a code popping up regarding anti skid. It happened after the software update. Will post the results after I get it back.

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
Okay, so maybe a different opinion than some??

I originally had about 1-1.5 inches of play on each side of the center of the steering wheel.

After letting the dealership know, within 1 week or purchase, that this is not a normal experience I was told it was a Jeep thing.

I was told to file a complaint with FCA, NHSTA( Can't recall the spelling), both of which I did.

After a few thousand miles I said nope, and adjusted my steering gear myself.

Now, this 1/2 turn changed the vehicle ten fold. Drove like what I thought a jeep would feel like.

Fast forward 18,000 miles and 10 months - TSB is completed. My dealer %100 took care of me on this (I think because they know my wife is looking at a new Wrangler and I want a 2021 Sarge Gladiator).

Now, the experience driving is slightly different - it does drive smooth and doesn't waver like it did.

The caveat is it feels pretty close to what the 1/2 turn on the steering geer did. I'm not sure if it was the 18k miles and muscle memory that did this to me, but it still is smooth; for sure an improvement.

If I had not done that 1/2 I would say it blew the previous steering out of the water.

I say this because if anyone like me manages to get a TSB after doing what I did, you won't be blown away.

However, those who plan or are trying to get it - will be grinning that they don't have to white knuckle it.

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
i cant drive over 55 with my 97 XJ have to get me a flatbed to tow it now going to take the locker out of the 8.25 chrysler and weld the spider gears together
with 37 12.50

Last edited:

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
the new gladiator is amazing on stock 245/75 R17 i can take s curves at 70 its a sport car feel . i can drive it on the dragon . https://www.greatsmokies.com/dragon-area/ here is a video of my 1200 n8 125hp sportster . get those riceburners off our DRAGON .

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sgt. Pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Maybe they need to have it pointed out that the steering gear is easier to service from under the vehicle, not from above ... or maybe they thought you had ‘rack’ and pinion...
what's the validity of them saying it's probably the rtt and rack? advisor pretty much said @JeepCares is full of s***

DanHillAK

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 92 BMW M5 Touring, 2017 Volvo XC90
what's the validity of them saying it's probably the rtt and rack? advisor pretty much said @JeepCares is full of s***
Get in writing, send to jeep cares, get popcorn, watch the show. Be sure to CC your service manager and anyone else you can think of when you send that info to jeep cares

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
Finally dropped mine off to get fixed, took a little while to get the part. They said it'll probably be ready tomorrow afternoon (9/17). So hopefully I'll be in good shape soon!

Gator Pit

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Gator
Occupation
Operations Manager
Got mine done the day before my eight hour drive to Gatlinburg TN. I had to pester the crap out of them and I got Jeep Cares involved but it was worth it. Like everyone else has said it is a night and day difference from the way it used to drive. So glad it got done in time for my trip, I can’t imagine driving on curvy mountain roads with the way it used to drive.
My dealer is convinced that the pitman nut is a one time use nut and must be replaced when the steering gear replacement is performed. This is what held up my truck from getting completed because the nut is not listed on the TSB and they didn’t have it in stock so they had to order it.
If you haven’t got this done yet on your Gladiator stick in there and pester and call until it is done, so worth it! Good luck :like:

A00E0BA2-7559-436E-90D2-1E0BF9B2D5FA.jpeg

B2BEED5B-0AD0-4282-B93E-52C41C355CD3.jpeg

Deleted member 24880

Got mine done the day before my eight hour drive to Gatlinburg TN. I had to pester the crap out of them and I got Jeep Cares involved but it was worth it. Like everyone else has said it is a night and day difference from the way it used to drive. So glad it got done in time for my trip, I can’t imagine driving on curvy mountain roads with the way it used to drive.
My dealer is convinced that the pitman nut is a one time use nut and must be replaced when the steering gear replacement is performed. This is what held up my truck from getting completed because the nut is not listed on the TSB and they didn’t have it in stock so they had to order it.
If you haven’t got this done yet on your Gladiator stick in there and pester and call until it is done, so worth it! Good luck :like:

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") B2BEED5B-0AD0-4282-B93E-52C41C355CD3

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") B2BEED5B-0AD0-4282-B93E-52C41C355CD3
Just got back from Gatlinburg a week ago. Mine is getting done today. Hope you have a great time. Check out my Nemo Tunnel and Balsam Mountain posts for when your down there. Hello from Auburn by the way! Bryan

Sponsored

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Had the TSB performed yesterday. For some reason my outcome has not been the same as what others seem to be experiencing. My steering is definitely not any better. In fact I think it's slightly worse. Still loose, slow to respond and wandering. Checked the new steering box and it is the correct one. I'm feeling pretty deflated to say the least.
Bring it back, we pay too much money to settle for crap! Make them check the complete system, there is obviously something.more going on. Good luck!

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Just checked my steering fluid level after it's been sitting all night. It is below minimum, right at about where the top piece of the housing meets the rest. I've not noticed any real adverse effects while driving but wanted to check it. I just called the dealer and they said bring it by any time and they'll top it off. I've gotta say, so far Tom O'Brien in Greenwood, IN has really surprised me with their level of service.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 2020-09-16 09_58_58-Pages from ID_09162020_Redacted.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
I'd bet that is it supposed to be a one-time-use nut. Looking at it, yes. I'm surprised other dealers are re-using them.
These are not standard lock nuts.
(talking as a long-time mechanic myself, and having done many front suspension and steering jobs)
I've dealt with that type of fastener - and that matches one-time-use just looking at the new ones.
Your dealer is not the first to have said so, either.
The service manual, if you had access, likely says as much. Surprised they don't have any as it's required if replacing seals or the pitman arm itself. Should be a stocking item, IMO.