Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Just took the JT in for the dealer to inspect it; took 2 hours for them to confirm the issue. Replacement parts will be here in 10 days max!
Sponsored

Deleted member 24880

Mine is complete and the steering does seem stiffer but nothing significant. Mine wasn’t as horrible as some so I cannot say there is a night and day difference but overall I’m happy at the moment. We will see how it is after some more miles.

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Just called my dealer about this and they said bring it in for the diagnostic, first available is 9/29

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
Took mine in two weeks ago and the dealership agreed to order the parts. Well, I called to get an update today and they are saying the parts aren't expected to ship until end of September since they can only order every 14 days and there were a couple people ahead of me. Interesting since they weren't aware of the TSB when I brought it in originally.

Sponsored

Chinz67

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I get mine back tommorow from having the tsb taking care of. They called today saying that it would be another day because of a code popping up regarding anti skid. It happened after the software update. Will post the results after I get it back.
Well I got my JT back from the dealer. TSB completed. I have to say that I can drive with one hand or a couple of fingers without constantly correcting. The steering wheel also returns to center after turns now. Pleased so far. Haven't gone on the highway yet.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Ok, so here is what is bothering me now...

It seems many of the 2020 Gladiators have this steering issue... and yet there are some that do not.

The question of WHY? now rears its ugly head.

My son has a 2020 Sport S with the aluminium steering gear and yet does not have any of the steering issues noted by anyone else.

What gives?

HikerBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCLE Gladiator, ‘91 Wrangler, ‘08 GTI, ‘11 GTI
Wife goes to pick up the GCLE today. Will post an edit once she returns. She’s a tough cookie and negotiator so this better be right.

Jhall1981

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Assembly Technician
Just took the JT in for the dealer to inspect it; took 2 hours for them to confirm the issue. Replacement parts will be here in 10 days max!
I called my dealer about this issue. Was told I would have to leave it with them for a few days!! DAYS!!! How long does it take to diagnose a steering issue. Now I have to figure out what to do because I can’t not be without transportation for a few days!

Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called my dealer about this issue. Was told I would have to leave it with them for a few days!! DAYS!!! How long does it take to diagnose a steering issue. Now I have to figure out what to do because I can’t not be without transportation for a few days!
That's bullshit! My initial appointment was scheduled for this last Monday morning. I skipped it due to a work meeting. I called Monday afternoon to reschedule and mentioned the TSB specifically and asked if they had the parts in stock. I was hoping to avoid multiple visits. The service advisor/manager was like '...well this would be an expensive repair and I don't have the parts in stock so it needs to be seen by a technician first". I questioned him a bit and said "...it states that if the customer states steering wander, to make the repair". Long story short, I took it in yesterday afternoon and waited at the dealer for about 90 minutes. Sure enough, he comes right in and says "...we checked everything, it's the steering issue you described". He also listed about the ~10 things they checked and mentioned they all checked out. I'd demand they provide you a loaner if they can't get their shi$ together.

As well, would I want them to do the repair if diagnoses takes days?!?!?

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
How do we escalate our frustrations to the corporate office. You would think that they would want us all to be future customers again and the run-around most are getting on a defective product is uncalled for.
I have elevated my issues with Jeep cares. Will see it that helps any.
Very frustrating and down right getting pissed off!

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do we escalate our frustrations to the corporate office. You would think that they would want us all to be future customers again and the run-around most are getting on a defective product is uncalled for.
I have elevated my issues with Jeep cares. Will see it that helps any.
Very frustrating and down right getting pissed off!
@JeepCares, this is frustrating for even those of us where it goes, relatively, smoothly.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)

It seems many of the 2020 Gladiators have this steering issue... and yet there are some that do not.

My son has a 2020 Sport S with the aluminium steering gear and yet does not have any of the steering issues noted by anyone else.

What gives?
My sport S was built last month, I have the aluminum bad part, but I wouldnt say mine is TERRIBLE. It def has some lane wander, but its not like super crazy. I do plan to try to get the TSB either way.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

What gives?
Don't over-think it. It's been talked about since early last year from what I've seen/heard. For sure a year ago. The problem is that it was hard to specifically define at times - even here in the forum not everyone "agreed" as to what exactly their truck was doing or not doing.
Some had wander, some had pull, some had 2" of movement in the steering wheel before the truck responded, some less, some had a combination of the above. So if owners are describing multiple things, at first it's a moving target.
I kept hearing people here argue as to the cause, some insisting NOTHING WRONG, MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE, IT'S A JEEP THING!!
And they hollered it loudly - making some believe it - those who had the problems but mildly, believed after all the push-back maybe it was just them.
Others such as myself knew as a mechanic trained and experienced in steering and suspension knew the "it's a Jeep thing" was BS. Still not thinking mine had any issues, I knew for certain other people did after a lot of reading, taking it all in and some private conversations about it.
Then comes the "it's your tires, simply let the air out and it will be fine" (well, almost - the PSI suggested was just plain not good for tire life and even safety on the road)

Dealers said "it's a Jeep thing". Users said "it's a Jeep thing", it's a tire pressure thing, and on it went, with almost shouting matches some insisting there was no problem.
I worked with some folks through private messaging and was more and more convinced as time went on there was an issue for sure, it wasn't a Jeep thing, and it wasn't a tire pressure thing (but sometimes using lower than good pressures MASKED the symptoms)

As things like this go, especially when the steering gear isn't made by Jeep themselves but purchased, chasing it down took time. They had to prove a problem - and the problem was hard to define as one specific issue, it was a range of issues and a range of severity. Then Jeep has to quantify it enough to go to suppliers and tell them "we have a problem - it needs to be fixed".
So you have Jeep engineers, supplier engineers, and more working on this - and it takes time, months in this case. (I don't know - is this a Saginaw steering gear????? OR, has FCA actually started making their own??)

Mine was wandering - I guess it did now that I think about it honestly and having had my wife drive it 2 or 3 times on trips. But it wasn't severe and I was ready to accept that it was just the beast - but inside somehow knew better. The steering wheel wasn't loose like some - you moved it, the truck responded, and yet thinking back it was like something was giving or flexing as it wasn't a SOLID response like my wife's Grand Cherokee.

MAYBE have your son visit a dealer and let them decide - maybe, like me, he's convinced his choice was perfect, he made no mistakes and the truck he chose is perfect. That was part of my thing, I believe. Not wanting to admit maybe the fun great new truck I chose was - GASP - not perfect? I don't know - but I can now eat my ice cream treat and drive at the same time.......
It was honestly not as easy as some to keep perfectly centered between the lines - my wife was right.

And as you see some here say, they didn't have the problems as bad, but still see a difference now that it's fixed, some say they have no issues.
TSBs aren't saying YOU WILL HAVE TROUBLES!!!! - they are saying if you do, this is the fix.
I'm saying to SOME folks - maybe you are convinced you don't have any problems with it and your truck IS perfect and you can't bring yourself to admit maybe it's not?
Sponsored