Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Question, and apologies if it's already been answered, but this is now a really huge thread to navigate.

Does anyone know if there's a certain build date cutoff, where the bad steering gear was no longer being installed in the vehicles? Are certain trims more likely to be affected, etc?

For example, the door jam says our Mojave has a build date of 07/20. But some of the other part papers kind of hint at April. Tough to figure out with the pandemic shutdown issues.

Then there's the mention of a software update in this thread as part of this steering wander problem? What's the scoop on the software update?

This isn't my vehicle, it's my wife's, something she really, really wanted because of it's appearance, but now she's somewhat disappointed with the purchase because of the steering wander.

And I don't like the "wander" problem either. Traveling home from the purchase on the interstate at 70mph had me white knuckling stuff in the passenger compartment as she was struggling to control the vehicle while passing semi-trucks. That ride really freaked me the eff-out.

She's had two previous Rubicons, a 2012 Unlimited that blew two Penstar cylinder heads (at 9k and 22k), and a 2018 two-door that had no serious issues. The wife says the steering wander in this Gladiator is far worse than anything she experienced in those two. And they both had similar mud tires.

Talk about a shock trading in a Vette with precise steering, capable of going 178mph, to this thing that's all over the road at 70mph.

Will the optional steering damper help control this thing better for her? We don't spend a lot of time on the interstate, but have to do it occasionally.
DO NOT try to band-aid it. GET IT FIXED. What happens when warranty runs out and you still have the old steering gear and have issues? It's on your dime, then. Get it fixed, no band-aids actually fix this, some MAY, and that is a MAY, mask it, but that's it. Nothing fixes it except the new steering gear.
IF it's a July build it has the aluminum goofy steering gear.
2021 model year and it seems some mid to late August build 2020s have the new gear but it's EASY to tell.
Go to page 1 of this thread, download and PRINT the TSB.
The PART NUMBERS are on it.
As already stated hjdca, the faulty gear is aluminum - a gray to silver/gray color. The good one is BLACK, cast steel and you will see a sticker with the PART NUMBER on it.
I'd bet a Big Mac yours has the old bad gear.
Sponsored

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Military
IF it's a July build it has the aluminum goofy steering gear.
2021 model year and it seems some mid to late August build 2020s have the new gear but it's EASY to tell.
Go to page 1 of this thread, download and PRINT the TSB.
The PART NUMBERS are on it.
As already stated hjdca, the faulty gear is aluminum - a gray to silver/gray color. The good one is BLACK, cast steel and you will see a sticker with the PART NUMBER on it.
I'd bet a Big Mac yours has the old bad gear.
Alright, so this is the aluminum steering gear with the "wander" issue, correct?

Man, I wish I had of read this crap before buying her this Mojave. I would have been crawling around in the dealer parking lot eyeballing steering gears.

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") Bad_Gladiator.Steering.Gear

Last edited:

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
Show them the part where it says "IF THE CUSTOMER REPORTS................" and then "do the following".
Nowhere
how will it take 1.9 hours longer because of a lift, larger wheels and tires? That doesn’t make sense. Do they think they need to remove the suspension before removing the steering box? If so.. run lol.
I kind of feel like maybe smaller dealerships just lose money on these because they have to pay for labor but don’t make any so they drag their feet on committing to the repair and then if they do the repair they try to add these BS charges. Maybe search for a larger high-volume dealer in your area if you have that luxury?

edit: want to stress I am not making excuses for dealerships by any means just trying to rationalize what their logic is for the shenanigans

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Alright, so this is aluminum steering gear with the "wander" issue, correct?

Man, I wish I had of read this crap before buying her this Mojave. I would have been crawling around in the dealer parking lot eyeballing steering gears.

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") Bad_Gladiator.Steering.Gear
Yup that’s the one. The new one is black and has the following part number:

69324ABE-1187-424A-BC5C-C6609A0D4D64.jpeg

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Yup that’s the one. The new one is black and has the following part number:

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 69324ABE-1187-424A-BC5C-C6609A0D4D64
That cast iron looking thing, looks heavier than the aluminum steering gear. Gonna have to put the wife on a diet to compensate for the weight change. :headbang:

Sponsored

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
That cast iron looking thing, looks heavier than the aluminum steering gear. Gonna have to put the wife on a diet to compensate for the weight change. :headbang:
Lol damn son roasting your own wife lol

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I gave up my Corvette to buy her this Mojave toy; that was on her bucket list.

Tell me again, who got roasted on this deal?
haha ouch. Well, that opens the door for a C8 in the future! Meanwhile...

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 762CEA7F-449D-440C-A3F2-EEF39F3E232A

JK that’s my dad’s... trying to get him to SC it!

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
haha ouch. Well, that opens the door for a C8 in the future! Meanwhile...

762CEA7F-449D-440C-A3F2-EEF39F3E232A.jpeg
Way, way ahead of you on that C8 comment, bro. That was "baked" into the transaction before leaving the house.

Once GM gets their chit together on a Z06 version of the C8, the wife is gonna have less "discretionary income."

I'm driving a new Recaro/BBS/Brembo Miata, in the meantime. Which actually isn't a bad little ride.

Nice Vette!

Bookem.Dano.Bookem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator North, Ducati Scrambler
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Today is the day (?), box AND bolts are at the dealer along with the gladiator.

Driving the loaner home this morning, new Cherokee, I realized just how much my brain is auto correcting the gladiator. Wow.
Finished, and definitely worth working through any issues to have this work completed. Its a completely different feel. Move the steering wheel, and it reacts no more steering play. No notchy steering feel here.

Overall dealer made up for their original error (telling me it was completed when they had to order the part and not stating they were ordering parts), which could have been a communication error between tech and service advisor. Very happy with the final result, and at the end of the day the dealer.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, so this is aluminum steering gear with the "wander" issue, correct?

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 762CEA7F-449D-440C-A3F2-EEF39F3E232A
That is the aluminum gear that needs to be replaced. Got mine done no real hassle. Can also tell by the nuts as the old gear doesnt have the threaded holes. New black gear won't use those nuts on the bolts.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I gave up my Corvette to buy her this Mojave toy; that was on her bucket list.

Tell me again, who got roasted on this deal?
Don't sweat it. It's no big deal. Just go through the process and get the new steering box. You will love the Gladiator, it is so much fun ! I already have my "realistic" bucket list "go fast" cars and I drive them, but, most of the miles are going on the Gladiator now. We just enjoy it so much.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Those who went in EARLY got things faster because not so many knew of the TSB/fix and there were plenty in the supply channels.
Now the numbers know, are taking their Jeeps in and the supply chain is being emptied.
It is like the run on toilet paper in a way - the sudden influx of concerned owners has taken the steering gear off the shelves, especially in the population centers.
Making it worse, we have shortages of all sorts of parts all over - production for many things is slower, or in some cases, non-existent.
Another part we can't get right now - those of us adding passive entry lock systems to our Jeeps are finding wiring harnesses on national back order - possibly for a month or more.
I do plating - zinc, nickel, etc. and send samples of my plating bath to the company chemists for analysis now and then - normally it's same week that they receive it - now it may be two weeks, or more in some cases.
Grocery store shelves, and other stores for that matter, certain cleaning supplies have been off the shelves for months! I am not talking about hand sanitizer, either - I mean ordinary things to clean a shower or tub or toilet.

In the case of the steering gear - Jeep may also be at the mercy of their supplier for that gear. It's not a Jeep internally made part as far as I know - could be Saginaw or another outfit. Who knows what their staffing and work schedule are like right now!

So if it's a parts issue - there are plenty of things, places and other entities to blame it on, likely a combination or mix of several things.
But if the dealer says "can't get until xx/xx/xx" it's very likely they are correct. This will likely vary based on where you are or what district your dealer is in.

I hate logic - no one likes it, it's much easier and more fun to blame something or someone of our own choice!

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Just bought my Rubicon it has less than 500 miles...
As of today dealer has quoted me
4-6 week wait for the steering,
1 week for the back up camera.
3 weeks for the visor with the garage control.
Sponsored