Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
@JeepCares I have taken it to three different dealers, two aftermarket shops, and they have had it on hoists, apart, and reviewed everything. This pull is one of the most frustrating things I have every faced in a vehicle.

At this point it is dangerous to drive and Jeep should be addressing this huge safety issue (recall? / Lemon?). If I have to hold the wheel to the left to change lanes from left to right, that is a major problem to say the least.

@cecaa850 Yes...checked all of those things and more. Tires have been rotated three times...always the same issue. Checked brakes, alignment, track arms, alignment (4 times now!), thrust angle, axle alignment, TSB fix, etc. The only thing left is the steering stabilizer (which shouldn't fix this) or somehow putting stock tires on to see if that is the issue. I'm running the Wildpeak AT's...size 315/70R17 with Black Panzer wheels...neither of which should drive the pull I'm seeing. Metalcloack 2.5 with Falcon SP2 2.1 Shocks. I may upgrade the steering stabilizer with the Falcon 2.2 Nexus...but if that fixes the pull, I'd be astonished (but should help with a bit of the steering jump, etc.).

What is crazy is I can feel the pull in the steering wheel. Turning left, there is more tension than when I turn it right. Also, after the TSB, the wheel now automatically sits off center at neutral...second time this has occurred.

To say I'm upset & frustrated would be an understatement. If I hated my JT, I would just trade it in...but I love it...minus the steering pull.
So without re reading everything, did this start after the gear replacement?
Sponsored

Canuck33

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
It started after the lift, wheels/tires, and shock install along with new bumper and rails.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It started after the lift, wheels/tires, and shock install along with new bumper and rails.
What order did you do the mods in?
Was it an abrupt change, or did it come on gradually?
Have you tried putting the stock wheels and tires back on?

almonster

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I just got mine done at the dealer. All you have to do is mention the TSB and Jeep has asked ALL dealers to make this change with no questions asked. Obviously, Jeep feels there is a safety issue and when the shop manager test drove it - he agreed - totally squirrely.

New box is steel. It improves the drivability. Before, I had to adjust the wheel to go straight every second, 2 second at the most. Now, pretty stable. Still going to install the Synergy Steering Brace.

Canuck33

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was done at once by a local shop that specializes in Jeep modifications. I don't have the stock wheels & tires anymore so I can't check that.

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@JeepCares I have taken it to three different dealers, two aftermarket shops, and they have had it on hoists, apart, and reviewed everything. This pull is one of the most frustrating things I have every faced in a vehicle.

At this point it is dangerous to drive and Jeep should be addressing this huge safety issue (recall? / Lemon?). If I have to hold the wheel to the left to change lanes from left to right, that is a major problem to say the least.

@cecaa850 Yes...checked all of those things and more. Tires have been rotated three times...always the same issue. Checked brakes, alignment, track arms, alignment (4 times now!), thrust angle, axle alignment, TSB fix, etc. The only thing left is the steering stabilizer (which shouldn't fix this) or somehow putting stock tires on to see if that is the issue. I'm running the Wildpeak AT's...size 315/70R17 with Black Panzer wheels...neither of which should drive the pull I'm seeing. Metalcloack 2.5 with Falcon SP2 2.1 Shocks. I may upgrade the steering stabilizer with the Falcon 2.2 Nexus...but if that fixes the pull, I'd be astonished (but should help with a bit of the steering jump, etc.).

What is crazy is I can feel the pull in the steering wheel. Turning left, there is more tension than when I turn it right. Also, after the TSB, the wheel now automatically sits off center at neutral...second time this has occurred.

To say I'm upset & frustrated would be an understatement. If I hated my JT, I would just trade it in...but I love it...minus the steering pull.
You really need to take the stabilizer off and see if the pull is still there. It's not a matter of a stabilizer fixing it, it could be the cause. I have seen a number of people on here who have had this causing a pull.

Canuck33

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is on the list for Sunday! It will be interesting to see how it drives without the stabilizer.

rvlife18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Rubicon
In case it has not been already posted - the original TSB has been superseded by 08-003-21. They have now added checking and possible replacement of the track bar. See Item #13 on attached doc

Attachments

Last edited:

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
In case it has not been already posted - the original TSB has been superseded by 08-003-21. They have now added checking and possible replacement of the track bar. See Item #13 on attached doc
The track bar replacement only applies to the JL manufactured before Jan. 22nd, 2019. It does not apply to the JT at all... Cheers!

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@JTRUBI @Skull - Have you guys gone back to the dealer regarding the steering getting worse again yet?

The same thing is happening to me. I had the new steering box installed back in October 2020 and the steering has felt great until now...

Yesterday I had to do a trip on the interstate for an hour or so... Every time I hit a hard bump in the road at 75 MPH, I'd have to grip the steering wheel hard to keep the Jeep from swerving. Now it was a windy day. However, it just didn't feel normal and was super challenging/tiring trying to keep the Jeep in my lane.

Wasn't sure if it was even worth the hassle in going back to the dealership or if I should try the Synergy or Steer Smarts brace to see if that would fix things...
This is crazy to hear about the issues with the new box. From what you describe I would think the steer smarts drag link with attenuator would be worth looking at.

https://steersmarts.com/collections...tom-mount-draglink-with-griffin-xd-attenuator

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
If you're describing what I think you're describing, this part is actually an easy fix (and might help with other aspects). You can unbolt two bolts on the front by the axle and manually change the steering wheel alignment to match the wheels. Get the wheels lined up perfectly straight first on a flat surface, loosen bolts, and adjust with someone else looking at the steering wheel. When it is lined up perfectly, re-tighten.

There's a YouTube video on it... If I can find it I'll update with a link.

Update: Starts at 10:25, this link is already there.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The track bar replacement only applies to the JL manufactured before Jan. 22nd, 2019. It does not apply to the JT at all... Cheers!
Yes. Our Wrangler qualifies for a new bar and alignment. The way I read it.

This forum's participants are really helpful. Can't count how many times I was told it was "a Jeep thing" on the other forum.

I 've read every post in the Wrangler forum and this forum since they started

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of good people make good parts to upgrade Jeeps and make them more capable. I wish that Jeep would solve the basic problem and make our Wranglers and Gladiators safe.
Yes, but here we are. Your sig quote says it all.

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
What's the average wait time for a steering box now? I've been on the list a month. Or is it still dependent on the dealer and if Jeep Cares is involved?
Sponsored