Sponsored

New Tires - Calibrating the vehicle's software

Rulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLA 250, Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Hey guys,

About to purchase some 35" KM3's for my JTR and I'm curious about calibrating the software.

I really don't want/need to purchase a tazer just for this. Has anyone taken theirs to their dealer to have them make the changes? Any issues in doing so?

New to the Jeep world. My wife likes to ride the speed limit of our roads here, want to make sure the changes are made correctly.

Thanks,

Rulf
Sponsored

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
Hey guys,

About to purchase some 35" KM3's for my JTR and I'm curious about calibrating the software.

I really don't want/need to purchase a tazer just for this. Has anyone taken theirs to their dealer to have them make the changes? Any issues in doing so?

New to the Jeep world. My wife likes to ride the speed limit of our roads here, want to make sure the changes are made correctly.

Thanks,

Rulf
I called the dealer nearby me and they said they don't do calibrations on the JT, which I found to be unusual to say the least.

OP
OP

Rulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLA 250, Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
That sucks. I just spoke to my dealership who said they would flash it for free for me. I called them after I read the above, was a little worried I had to grab the tazer.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks. I just spoke to my dealership who said they would flash it for free for me. I called them after I read the above, was a little worried I had to grab the tazer.
I had my local dealer recalibrate for the 35s they installed, and the speedometer always reads the same as my GPS navicomputer, unless I'm on a steep grade, which makes sense.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You can pay $100+ for the dealership to do it as a one time service, OR you can buy a Tazer for $200 and do it yourself, get it spot-on with GPS, do it as many times as you want, AND do a ton of other things also.

To me it was a no-brainer.

Sponsored

MomsSpaghetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
You can pay $100+ for the dealership to do it as a one time service, OR you can buy a Tazer for $200 and do it yourself, get it spot-on with GPS, do it as many times as you want, AND do a ton of other things also.

Where did you buy it for $200? Or did you go with the lite?

JESmith

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
You can also use a phone app called Jscan. It will run you about $80-$90. ($20 for the app, $30 for the bluetooth adapter, $30 for the programming cable.) It is not quite as full featured as the Tazer, but it can do a lot of stuff.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

I talked to my dealer and they suggested that I buy a device from them that I could use to do that and a whole lot more instead of having them do it. They said $150 bucks. Didn't name the device but had ideas.

MomsSpaghetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
The Bluetooth on the phone won’t work? Do you happen to have a link to the Bluetooth adapter and cable?

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Anyone have warranty issues after using the tazer?
Also the jscan.net site doesn’t list the JL/JT?

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Where did you buy it for $200? Or did you go with the lite?
I have the full Tazer. They had a sale online when I got mine.

Anyone have warranty issues after using the tazer?
Also the jscan.net site doesn’t list the JL/JT?
I used the Tazer on my JLU which went to the dealer for all it's oil changes and it also had an airbag recall done as well as spent three weeks in the shop with ESS failure issues and not once did anybody ever mention my speedo being calibrated with a programmer.

Granted, I wasn't one of those guy who'd take the Jeep to the dealership with the Tazer still hanging off the OBD port and the security gateway connections still unplugged.

JESmith

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
The Bluetooth on the phone won’t work? Do you happen to have a link to the Bluetooth adapter and cable?
The bluetooth adapter is for your phone/tablet/laptop to communicate with the vehicle's computer network via the ODBII port. https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Scanner-Android-Compatible/dp/B06XGB4873/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1JTKUCHMX7J17&keywords=vgate+icar+pro&qid=1580926530&sprefix=vgate,aps,186&sr=8-4

The programming adapter cable is to access the secure port.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V9QBYXM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NC4stroker

First Name
Barney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Jeep GC L, 2020 Ram 3500 DRW
Occupation
Optometrist
Hey guys,

Thanks,

Rulf
The dealership can do it. You do have to purchase the “update” at the service Dept. from MOPAR prior to the “reflash”. It was around $130 after tax here in NC.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The dealership can do it. You do have to purchase the “update” at the service Dept. from MOPAR prior to the “reflash”. It was around $130 after tax here in NC.
No, nothing to purchase except for their time.
That's because - It's a setting in a system menu. You simply go in with the right tools, choose the tire diameter. A selection - you choose the tire diameter from a menu. You aren't flashing the system.

I suppose you COULD go to the trouble of having your VIN updated with the new tire size and then they flash the system and the new size gets put in - but why flash the system for a simple tire size change? (My dealership did not charge me to have passive entry added to my VIN! I already had the settings in there but I wanted it as part of the VIN so my vehicle, if looked at by anyone online, would see it was part of the truck)

I did it, using JSCAN, an OBD II BlueTooth adapter and security bypass cable.
I now have those tools to use on any other changes I wish to make. I have used the same to add auto-dim headlights, passive entry and tire size changes.
Not sure what you think you have to buy from MOPAR, but tire size is simply a menu selection once you are in using the tools I described.
You can use tazer, or
JSCAN and security bypass cable and OBD II adapter
or
AlfaOBD and security bypass cable and OBD II adapter.

Apparently you were sold a bill of goods - as even my accessories guy at the dealership said "we can do it, or we can sell you a tool to do it" - he suggested I buy the stuff and do it myself as then I'd not have to pay them to make future changes to tire sizes or whatever. He was clearly honest - and one reason I keep going back there.

The only caveat is that if you have them make certain changes - like flashing for an update/warranty, it MAY change back to the stock tire sizes........ but that's no big deal if you track the changed you made - simply put back as needed.
Sponsored