Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Pacifica
Occupation
Ops Manager
Hi all,

I'll be purchasing a Gladiator near term and I'll also be using a local shop in NJ for upgrades. I would assume the most common trim to achieve owner flexibility with upgrades is the Sport S model. Would that be the boards consensus? I'm also hearing that if you purchase the Sport S, the Max Towing option should be on your list as an upgrade if you wish to go off-roading? Thoughts?
Sponsored

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Sport s w/ max tow is probably the best bang for the buck. The max tow 4.10 gears, wider axles, limited slip rear-end, are helpful and worth the extra money but not necessary to go offroading. If you are going to lift and/or put on bigger tires, you'll definitely want the 4.10 gears.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
If you want to go off-roading with your JT mostly as-is, the Rubicon would be the better choice.

If you're going to heavily modify your JT anyway, sure, get a Sport S with Max Tow. Just be aware only the Rubicon has lockers front and rear. The Mojave has a rear locker. The Sport and Sport S have no lockers.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Really it all depends on what you want to do, how quickly you want to get to that goal and how much investment do you want to make.

Helpful answer right? Makes me sounds like a guidance councilor marking the days to retirement.

But what I mean is this is really a choose your own adventure story. Only you can define the type of offroad, if any and ever, you plan to do. My idea of gnarly trail is different, my concept of how to get it done is different. I wanted to run my typical trails out of the box and didn't or could want to justify the driveway time to build up. I went rubicon from the start. Others know they are going to toss a lot of the factory get dirty parts in a bin right off and went sport or sport s. Others want a snappy and eye catching pavement princess and got Mojave trim to catch the eye of all those fine looking bucks in raptors (calm down I'm just referencing urban cowboy) but ultimately it's a chat between you and god about how you want to go about it.

Everything can be built to anything you need, just takes time and money. Families, jobs, global pandemics... life is usually the limiting factor.

So whats your ideal uses, how do you see this truck being used? It's okay to say you want to dominate the Rubicon, wail on it like it owes you money and do it all without a winch but it has to commute an hour each way to work and needs to hit the garden center on weekends. Honestly there is nothing you can say that hasnt been mentioned at some point.

OP
OP

shoreseeker

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Pacifica
Occupation
Ops Manager
Really it all depends on what you want to do, how quickly you want to get to that goal and how much investment do you want to make.

Helpful answer right? Makes me sounds like a guidance councilor marking the days to retirement.

But what I mean is this is really a choose your own adventure story. Only you can define the type of offroad, if any and ever, you plan to do. My idea of gnarly trail is different, my concept of how to get it done is different. I wanted to run my typical trails out of the box and didn't or could want to justify the driveway time to build up. I went rubicon from the start. Others know they are going to toss a lot of the factory get dirty parts in a bin right off and went sport or sport s. Others want a snappy and eye catching pavement princess and got Mojave trim to catch the eye of all those fine looking bucks in raptors (calm down I'm just referencing urban cowboy) but ultimately it's a chat between you and god about how you want to go about it.

Everything can be built to anything you need, just takes time and money. Families, jobs, global pandemics... life is usually the limiting factor.

So whats your ideal uses, how do you see this truck being used? It's okay to say you want to dominate the Rubicon, wail on it like it owes you money and do it all without a winch but it has to commute an hour each way to work and needs to hit the garden center on weekends. Honestly there is nothing you can say that hasnt been mentioned at some point.
I've always wanted a Jeep! That's the first and main thing I think, I'm like a kid in a candy store. We live near the beach and this baby is going to be on the beach a lot with my family fishing for strippers along the Atlantic Coast. I'm also looking forward bringing the bad boy to work in an effort to get everyone jealous! So there you are! I was thinking the Sport S trim is just easier to meld into what I need. Towing, Off-Road Beach and a times Parkway ride.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
...fishing for strippers along the Atlantic Coast.
Shouldn't be too hard to find...
lol

If you're looking for a family cruiser, consider the Overland, as it has more of the creature comforts, while still being a fully capable Gladiator.

Kevin

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BL & Rubi Recon, 99 Miata
Based on your described use I think the Sport S w/Max Tow is the your best bet. It is really over engineered for how you plan to use it. But, it is just the right platform to grow on. I think once you have a few smiles and miles behind you will find yourself looking for reasons to go get dirty. when you do you will be happy to have the Max Tow spec'd vehicle to build up.

I would also say make sure it has every accessory you want. If you want to add any factory accessories after the fact you pay at least triple the price because of Dealer markup and labor. So make sure it has everything you want.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I run the beachs surf fishing, you don’t need much, but you mention towing, get something with the 4.10 axles and tow package, ifyou want to put big tires and lift kits on it, go Sport Max Tow, if you want to run the beaches with nothing larger then 35” tires and not lift it consider the Mojave or Rubicon. Also consider the Selec trac transfer case, I love mine.
Sportmax tow package has highest tow rating, depending on what you tow.
My Mojave should have a surf rack on by end of this weekend...Jack

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
If you're looking for a family cruiser, consider the Overland, as it has more of the creature comforts, while still being a fully capable Gladiator.

Kevin
This was my choice. It is first and foremost a daily driver, and weekend hauler, and I wanted creature comforts. I do not plan to do rock crawling, but I do like the beach and sandy trails. I tow, but not heavy stuff, mostly a small boat trailer. A manual transmission was also a requirement. So for all those needs, the Overland with LSD and the built-in traction control was perfect for me.

As ACAD_Cowboy said, you must choose wisely.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Hi all,

I'll be purchasing a Gladiator near term and I'll also be using a local shop in NJ for upgrades. I would assume the most common trim to achieve owner flexibility with upgrades is the Sport S model. Would that be the boards consensus? I'm also hearing that if you purchase the Sport S, the Max Towing option should be on your list as an upgrade if you wish to go off-roading? Thoughts?
Here's some more reading...
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ow-owners-regret-not-getting-a-rubicon.39478/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/max-tow-max-tow-max-tow.38754/

B-RAD

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator (on order)
Occupation
Fleet Manager
Hi all,

Everyone pretty much said it. I went Sport S with the manual trans so the Max tow was not available. I only tow a a dinghy and a motorcycle trailer. I’m also not a rock climber but the beach is fun.
make sure your options are factory.
the aux switches, led lights if that’s your thing (they are expensive aftermarket factory).
Think long and hard about your top selection. I got both tops and the soft top is still in the box in storage. That money could have been other options.
good luck.

2494534B-1AE1-4881-90BB-C85ADAB031B0.jpeg

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Yeah, definitely get the LED headlights and fog lights. I recently dropped over $800 to install LED headlights and fog lights on my Sport S. The factory halogens are pretty useless.

Ridgeline

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Intellectual Property Attorney
Your wife sounds cooler than mine! Do you recommend dollar bills as bait? Get some seat covers. That glitter gets everywhere.
Rowdy. Who let this guy in? :LOL:

Also get all-weather mats. Just sayin'....
Sponsored