Newbie to winches

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I did my research about 3 years ago when HF had the older series of Badlands winches, so you may need to re-visit. I found that the 12k winch used less current at lower pull weights than the 9k used. I also shopped for weight of the winch plus bumper so I would not be hanging another 200 lb. off the very front of the Jeep. For my JKU, I got the hybrid stubby winch mount/bumper and the 12k Badlands, adding only about 25 lb. over the weight of a stock Recon steel bumper. Next you will look at a stronger, better battery than the 38 lb. stocker (at least that is what was on my Recon), and that will mean 12 lb.+ added. Pretty soon you need stiffer front springs. Yes, a spacer will lift the JT back to stock (or whatever) height, but the pendulum effect of all the added weight will dictate stiffer springs so you don't bottom out the front suspension all the time on rough trails, etc.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I did my research about 3 years ago when HF had the older series of Badlands winches, so you may need to re-visit. I found that the 12k winch used less current at lower pull weights than the 9k used. I also shopped for weight of the winch plus bumper so I would not be hanging another 200 lb. off the very front of the Jeep. For my JKU, I got the hybrid stubby winch mount/bumper and the 12k Badlands, adding only about 25 lb. over the weight of a stock Recon steel bumper. Next you will look at a stronger, better battery than the 38 lb. stocker (at least that is what was on my Recon), and that will mean 12 lb.+ added. Pretty soon you need stiffer front springs. Yes, a spacer will lift the JT back to stock (or whatever) height, but the pendulum effect of all the added weight will dictate stiffer springs so you don't bottom out the front suspension all the time on rough trails, etc.
That's another reason I went over-kill. Less draw per pound of pull (assuming a few other factors, of course)

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
For an inexpensive winch, a good bet is the Smittybilt X20, They've proven to be a decent winch and they have a good warranty:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...7510-smittybilt-gen2-x20-10k-waterproof-winch

For a more $$$ you can get the X20 with the synthetic rope:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...8512-smittybilt-gen2-x20-12k-waterproof-winch

Though once you are in that price range, you can get a Warn VR 10-s:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...103253-warn-vr-evo10-s-winch-w-synthetic-rope

For a Gladiator, go with a minimum of a 10K winch.

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
Well if that was implied, sorry - no intent. And yeah, I know what you mean. So many do call them cheap, etc. - anyway, sorry if I read your post wrong or even if my response appeared in a way not intended. I do that sometimes.
I'm pretty happy with mine - I have not used it in the rough yet, but my impressions are actually good. I hate "cheap stuff" but everything supplied with it seemed fine. The videos I watched were using them rougher than I hope I EVER get into - I mean seriously abusing the thing to the point of bending the winch plate - the winch survived save for the top cover getting cracked by the flex. That was easily obtained and replaced. (good to inow you can get parts!)

Frankly, when one compares to other makes - hmmmmm, same factory??
I figure I'd never in a million need such a heavy or strong winch, on the other hand, if I figured I might at most need 9,000 pounds for my use - buy more, less chance of breaking something.
Like many tools - buy more than you need and it will last longer than you do. My wife gets really pissed when I buy cheap stuff and then complain about it. I mean she really slaps me down and chews me out.
I was on my third circular saw and needed a new one - burned the motor out on another... I said "I'm running to town for a new saw" - she said don't you DARE come back with a cheap one - you get the best they have or I'm sending you right back to town.
Lol. It’s like texting, sometimes things don’t come across the same and get misinterpreted. No worries.
I guess it’s all relative to how much you use them. Like if I depended on my winch to make a living or if I was a competitive wheeler I would buy a Warn. Not because they are arguably “better”. But because they have been around a very long time and are proven. And if it fails I won’t second guess myself and regret not buying a Warn. Heck many of my friends have really old Warn’s they have just moved from truck to truck. They really take a beating. All that said, I have a Smittybuilt. Paid around $500 for the X20 synthetic . So far so good, but like you I haven’t put it to the test yet. Perhaps I never will. Hard to push a 55k wheeler to far. For the occasional light duty use I hope it proves worthy.
Sponsored