Winches!

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I had a 16 JKURHR with that bumper and did a Smitty X20 install on it. With the cost of the mounting plate to add a winch I'm glad the JTR I bought didn't have the steel front bumper.

I got a great deal on a Smitty XRC bumper and the XO2 winch both for less than $900.00 and I think I have a more capable front end going this way
IMG_3025.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I had a 16 JKURHR with that bumper and did a Smitty X20 install on it. With the cost of the mounting plate to add a winch I'm glad the JTR I bought didn't have the steel front bumper.
That’s what got me. $900 or so for the bumper plus the required $1k LED package plus a couple hundred bucks or so for a plate to actually mount a winch? I certainly like the looks of it, but it adds up quick.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
That’s what got me. $900 or so for the bumper plus the required $1k LED package plus a couple hundred bucks or so for a plate to actually mount a winch? I certainly like the looks of it, but it adds up quick.
It does - but I'd argue the LED package is worth it regardless of the bumper and at that point you're similar in cost to aftermarket...None of which look as well integrated as the factory steel bumper, but that's subjective. I didn't realize the LED package was required for the steel bumper, but I won't buy another new car without them at this point. The difference in night visibility is amazing.

I will say, if you plan to remove the end caps, it's not worth it. There are plenty of stubby bumpers that are cheaper out there, but I honestly can't stand the look of those and would rather have the protection. I hit enough small bushes/saplings and touch enough trees with the bumper that would damage the fenders that I'd never run a stubby.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
It does - but I'd argue the LED package is worth it regardless of the bumper and at that point you're similar in cost to aftermarket...None of which look as well integrated as the factory steel bumper, but that's subjective. I didn't realize the LED package was required for the steel bumper, but I won't buy another new car without them at this point. The difference in night visibility is amazing.

I will say, if you plan to remove the end caps, it's not worth it. There are plenty of stubby bumpers that are cheaper out there, but I honestly can't stand the look of those and would rather have the protection. I hit enough small bushes/saplings and touch enough trees with the bumper that would damage the fenders that I'd never run a stubby.
In retrospect I wish I checked the LED box when ordering. I had no idea the halogens would be as terrible as they are!

That said, I’d prefer a stubby. I think I’m most disappointed that the OEM steel bumper isn’t winch ready. It’s arguably the best looking for the Jeep, though!

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator Rubicon

Sponsored

hammerhead

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRLE
I went with the JCR winch plate (black friday deal) and the Smitty 12k gen3 comp. I really like the line load indicator (+flashlight and magnet mount) built into the remote.
IMG_4153.jpg
IMG_4154.jpg

I put the LED on an aux switch for convenience
IMG_4163.jpg

The winch control doesn't interfere with trailcam visibility.

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR
Occupation
Retired
DSC01224.JPG
I’d like to see/hear from those who have the steel rubicon bumpers and have dropped a winch in there. What winch did you pick and what was your experience and your initial impressions?
Warn mount plate and Harbor Freight 12000 Apex. Works great.

DSC01225.JPG

Last edited:

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
In retrospect I wish I checked the LED box when ordering. I had no idea the halogens would be as terrible as they are!

That said, I’d prefer a stubby. I think I’m most disappointed that the OEM steel bumper isn’t winch ready. It’s arguably the best looking for the Jeep, though!
I ended up putting in a set of $26 bulbs since the halogens were so bad I don't even understand why they existed. I plan to go with something aftermarket in the future as a whole replacement. Personally I am glad I didn't go LED since the aftermarket will be better and I just can't get myself to pay FCA over $1000 for something that should have been included on a truck that expensive.

Sponsored

TapperMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed a Smittybilt X20 12k on a Maximus-3 winch plate along with their Classic Hoop and D-Ring Loops all of which I picked up during Black Friday sales.

FrontEnd.jpg

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
I mounted a Warn M8-S using the Warn mounting plate. It was very straightforward, although I did need to modify the control box mounting holes for the control box so that it was not wedged against the bumper. I ran the power cable to the solenoid that I previously installed for the Warn power cable and activate with one of the aux switches on the dash.

38169B61-A89F-41D2-ACE2-B25F37662B54.jpeg

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
Warn 12k in ADD bumper w/Baja Design lights

A1EE2E98-1CD5-4DB5-AD92-76EBE6FB218D.jpeg

FF204A0C-A7A1-4D36-9FFD-A882F74B22D7.jpeg

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I traveled to VA to visit family for Christmas and had a great time hanging out with my teenage nephew, who helped with mounting my Warn Winch Carrier:

https://www.rivercityoffroad.com/Warn-Jeep-JL-Wrangler-Rubicon-OE-Bumper-Winch-Carr-p/war101255.htm

and Warn VR EVO 12-S Winch:

https://www.rivercityoffroad.com/Warn-VR-EVO-12-S-Winch-p/war103255.htm

9DC5E5C4-CDE2-4A4E-8C1D-FBDE00D3E92D.jpeg

7C167B99-14D1-48FF-8E6D-DEDABD061917.jpeg

1F36907B-1D43-4760-8FDD-2FBDE0E37821.jpeg
Same winch, ordering the 101255 plate, and going to cut the crappy plastic bumper because I'm cheap. Would like a cover for the rope like they make for the Zeon though.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Oh you will love the bumper (and the winch)!!

I came off the trail on this run and it got me back on track. What did you do for the rest of the recovery gear? I got an ARB pack that has been great.
Loving this bumper and winch. Circling back in the install. A bit involved but worth it.
Sponsored