Winches

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
Enough gear keeps you from doing the, oh shit moment.
Sponsored

BullDogge

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JK, WK2 TH, other Non-Jeeps.
Wow... Jackass!

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
Warn has a new VR EVO series coming out that nicely splits the difference between the current VR and the Zeon. It expect it will be a huge seller for them. $849 for the 12,000 with synthetic rope. Drops late September.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/warn/vr-evo-series-winch
This looks great. Is it replacing the VR line or is it a go-between? I like that it has a wired/wireless remote. Can't find any info on these on Warn's site.

Yep, I watched it happen! He was drunk but I didn't know that when I winched the truck out the first time because I was talking with his son, who I believed to be the driver.
Why the hell did his son not take over after the first recovery? :mad:

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Why the hell did his son not take over after the first recovery? :mad:
After the second time he went off the road the look on his son's face gave me the sense this was common behavior.

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I still have my Warn 9500lb winch I bought new in 2000. They’re expensive because it’s the last one you’ll ever need. It’s survived 5 Jeep transplants, hundreds of pulls (many at max capacity and beyond), super deep water and mud crossings, a serious crash and a run in with a radiator that welded the cables together.

I replaced the cable it came with about 7 years ago for winch rope and replaced the battery cables.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Enough gear keeps you from doing the, oh shit moment.
My minimum load out to self recover is:
(4) 3/4” shackle
(2) 3/8” sheave
20’ 3/8 choke chain with hooks
10’ 7/8” choke chain with hooks
10’ over braided dyneema tree saver with eyes
Over braided dynema Prussic for line haul
Axe with stone
Hatchet with stone
Limb saw with file
Gloves
Flashlight
Short spade
Short transfer shovel

I’ve debated including a mattock or a McLeod tool but I’ve never been that stuck yet.

On trips out with bigger rigs or after bad weather I include a chainsaw and safety gear for that as well.

Don’t forget snacks and liquids

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I am not a fan of chains in a dynamic recovery, but great for a static load, like a winch recovery with the synthetic rope, then you have a part of your recovery gear that does not loads up on energy in case of failure. If you have the need get a j hook bridle that is used on a roll back wrecker, or use your chain and make a recovery bridle even better if you can get chain with a pear link.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Clearing trees with our Badland. The results are I can't recommend the nylon aftermarket rope I purchased. It came with a nylon casing and it frays terribly. Ordered a Warn Spydera replacement. The JT did great though!

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I still have my Warn 9500lb winch I bought new in 2000. They’re expensive because it’s the last one you’ll ever need. It’s survived 5 Jeep transplants, hundreds of pulls (many at max capacity and beyond), super deep water and mud crossings, a serious crash and a run in with a radiator that welded the cables together.

I replaced the cable it came with about 7 years ago for winch rope and replaced the battery cables.
YEP, one helluva winch: I have pulled so hard that even at 2000 rpm my lights were dimmed, saw many full pulls with it, often stepping in when other winches even rated for more would not pull (dunno the mfg, just know they were not Warn). That 9500 will also work UNDERWATER, ask me how I know! Try a full pull underwater sometime you will know how good your winch really is.

Ended up selling it to a guy whose winch let him down and I had to step in. I kept the rope, which is on another winch today. I now have the Warn Powerplant (think they have stopped making them), but it has a built-in air compressor. It will fill a 37 KM from 3-5 lbs to highway pressure in less than 2 min.

Rope: Masterpull XD Superline. Had it for almost 20 years and its seen a lot of duty. http://www.masterpull.com/8-6mm-5-16-x-100-superline-xd-black-winch-line-16-500-lbs/

It's the best there is. It gets beat hard and every few years I send it back to the company, they inspect it and usually have shortened as the working end since it gets a bit ragged in use. They clean it and ship it back at no cost to me ever.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Oh no, no yanking out with the chain, yanking bad. I use it for grabbing axles or extending my anchor points or for winching off downed trunks of suitable size or rocks etc.

Chains final party trick is to look gnarly! I’ll post up the big chain later, it just looks beastly.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
Oh no, no yanking out with the chain, yanking bad. I use it for grabbing axles or extending my anchor points or for winching off downed trunks of suitable size or rocks etc.

Chains final party trick is to look gnarly! I’ll post up the big chain later, it just looks beastly.
Yanking with a chain is a recipe for death. In fact, anything you use to yank with that was not designed for for it can lead to catastrophic results.

Big wheeling area down below the Dam at lake Lewisville. Guy gets stuck in the mud and his buddy goes to help, he hooks on to a trailer ball with a hard line strap, no can pull, wheels spin. So he yanks, not hard enough, then does it again and now he goes for the gold. He is in his 4x4 truck with a front bench seat, him, GF, another friend, 3 across.

He hits the yank full fu man chu, ball snaps, strap brings it back, thru windshield into his GF forehead. Angle flight cannot get her to the hospital soon enough to live, DOA, all wheeling banned.

I was there, it was horrible. Had I been on the same side of the pull as the guy pulling I was said something, but I was on the other sidce of the stuck truck looking toward the truck and the truck pulling him out, had no idea he stapped on to a trailer ball...

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I was there, it was horrible. Had I been on the same side of the pull as the guy pulling I was said something, but I was on the other sidce of the stuck truck looking toward the truck and the truck pulling him out, had no idea he stapped on to a trailer ball...
I'm very sorry you had to witness that. How horrible. I've taken to eliminating as much metal from my recovery system as possible. Synthetic winch line is an easy and obvious choice, but I've also switched to soft shackles. Most of us don't winch enough to be really good at it, and inexperience can lead to mistakes. My hope is that if/when a mistake happens, it is harmless.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
I'm very sorry you had to witness that. How horrible. I've taken to eliminating as much metal from my recovery system as possible. Synthetic winch line is an easy and obvious choice, but I've also switched to soft shackles. Most of us don't winch enough to be really good at it, and inexperience can lead to mistakes. My hope is that if/when a mistake happens, it is harmless.
Thank you!

See a guy lose his leg at the knee, guy lose his hand (possible that docs could reattach, but don't know outcome).

The guy that lost his leg watching an extract from deep mud and the puller was using wire rope on a 16,000 lb winch. The wire broke just in back of the recovery shackle and the end of it caught the guy at the knee. We had been shouting at him to make sure he was far enough from the cable, well he was...almost, been back another 3 ft and it would have missed him. I can tell you this that cable passed thru his leg just under the knee like a knife going thru butter, in fact, I was watching him and the cable cut off the leg and left him standing for a moment before he fell over screaming.

The guy that lost his hand, was trying to help a guy rewind his winch, there was a kink in the cable, the guy had on a pair of gloves and he told the guy who was in the jeep with a dash-mounted in/out for the winch, the kink grabbed his glove and hand and sucked it into the roller lead and ripped his hand off before the driver could get it stopped.

Off road can be very dangerous...

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
Has anyone use the Comeup brand, my local shop seems very keen on that brand. In particular their 9.5rsi Seal Gen2. $1100 for winch, synthetic rope, wireless, all ip68.
Sponsored