Sponsored

No money wifey said hold off stock gladiator no mods help!!

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I’ve been watching the extreme off road series on Netflix Before bed. The wife started asking questions about lifts and tires, etc. Then I started buying a few rubicon takeoffs and other inexpensive parts, you can find really good deals out there. That‘s my strategy. She’s starting to come around...
Sponsored

OP
OP

TheHomer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
stuck in a cubicle
If my wife told me not to spend money on my gladiator I would tell her it’s been a good run but it’s time for us to part ways you got to go don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out
Showed my wife she laughed
Oh wait I just let the cat out of the bag
D’OH!!!!

OP
OP

TheHomer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
stuck in a cubicle
I’ve been watching the extreme off road series on Netflix Before bed. The wife started asking questions about lifts and tires, etc. Then I started buying a few rubicon takeoffs and other inexpensive parts, you can find really good deals out there. That‘s my strategy. She’s starting to come around...
Good idea and I believe it’s on amazon prime as well

Sponsored

bshillam

First Name
Bryrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.portlandres.com
Vehicle(s)
Over 60 prior. Current 2001 Isuzu Trooper, 2016 BMW 4 series convertible, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow Stingray
Occupation
Real Estate Broker and Yacht Broker, 503-781-9967
The reason you don’t see many unmodded Sport S Gladiators is that you bought the best bang for the buck Jeep. Congratulations! You can make significant mods and still come in well under the price of a Rubicon. That said, many people have pointed out the significant capabilities of the stock set up, so enjoy!

As for the wife, I operate on the very sound principle that what she doesn’t know won’t piss her off. Plus, she gets her hair done once a month. Each hair appointment is one 37” tire. Each mani/pedi (yes I just clipped a corner off my man card for knowing what that is) is a spot or flood light. Her facial, scrub, laser, abrasion, Brazilian, mumbo jumbo was a lift and winch. She fixes herself, I fix my Jeep. It keeps balance in the world.

I also bought my bed tent and bed mattress so I have somewhere to sleep when she discovers my strategy.
Now that's funny. Sure thing, never understood how a haircut for men is 1/4 of what they charge for women? I don't have any hair, haven't paid for a cut in over twenty years going on close to thirty years. Guess I can buy those tires and then some!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Lots of funny responses including the one about the door hitting her in the but... I don’t know about you but I love my wife and my family. 24 years of marriage and it is important to follow through with working together with your finances. Trust me I’ve made the secrecy mistake over Jeep parts and I couldn’t enjoy them after purchase when done in secrecy. As mentioned above and a great idea is getting her involved with off-roading, camping (overlanding) if she isn’t already into it. If you make your off-road destination worthy, the travel there is a lot easier for a New off-roader to digest.

Enough of the marriage counseling...

One more thing about the JT that people say (even rant about) often and makes absolutely no sense to me. The break over angle and departure is terrible on the JT... ahhh, yup, that is because its a pickup truck, a Jeep take the doors off, top down pickup truck! THANKS FOR FINALLY MAKING THESE JT’s FOR US JEEP!!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I were going for a morning walk. I mentioned that I'd done some more research and found that someone has actually found the key to putting proximity locks into an existing vehicle - that's an option we wanted badly, she has on her GC, and we told the sales guy we wanted stuff like that, but it still never got checked and we missed it not being checked when we looked over the final checklist.
I had done a lot of digging and to a point everyone said "can't be done" or "maybe" but no one KNEW for sure.
I dug again and since that time, someone has DONE IT and shows how. The trick is the dealership getting a code and putting it in once all the parts are installed.
Well, I told my wife - she said "so how much does it cost? Can you do it?" Yeah, all but the dealership's part - that will be the trick, finding a dealer shop willing to actually read the info I found and CALLING the mothership for the info!
I told her likely a day's work as both doors have to be opened and there's a harness to run side-to-side under the dash (that's the hard part). So I'm supposed to look into it.
Then she asked "so will it handle the weight better now with what you did"? Yeah, but the back dropped a bit and a guy has some spacers that would resolve that if he can find them.
"you'd better do that, too".

Years ago when we were both still in full-time jobs we were heading to work in one of my cars - she asked "what would you do if someone hit you while you were driving one of these cars"?
First, I'd cry a bit - then start looking for parts to fix it and hope...........
She said "maybe you should start looking for any parts now so you have them".

I see no problem here.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of funny responses including the one about the door hitting her in the but... I don’t know about you but I love my wife and my family. 24 years of marriage and it is important to follow through with working together with your finances. Trust me I’ve made the secrecy mistake over Jeep parts and I couldn’t enjoy them after purchase when done in secrecy. As mentioned above and a great idea is getting her involved with off-roading, camping (overlanding) if she isn’t already into it. If you make your off-road destination worthy, the travel there is a lot easier for a New off-roader to digest.

Enough of the marriage counseling...

One more thing about the JT that people say (even rant about) often and makes absolutely no sense to me. The break over angle and departure is terrible on the JT... ahhh, yup, that is because its a pickup truck, a Jeep take the doors off, top down pickup truck! THANKS FOR FINALLY MAKING THESE JT’s FOR US JEEP!!
This is #2. We met when I farmed. Credit cards maxed, owed the bank $80,000. She was used to a check every two weeks. I told her I got money when I sold crops - could be fall, could be spring, could be a bit here and a bit there. Drove her NUTS.
I said - here's the books, the cards, everything you need to know - and we'll get you put on all banking stuff. I just handed it all over to her. I ended up leaving the farm because it also drove her nuts that I rented almost all the ground from my ex. She got all debts paid, came up with plans for the future and retirement, forced us to save for retirement, kept credit cards paid off.
Now we're retired, not wealthy, but able to live as we had lived. We both have hobbies that are self-supporting - my cars, her quilting. I did sacrifice a bit to buy the JT - sold my prized Javelin, sold my Chevy truck and took some money from what I inherited from my father after he was killed. (man, I miss that car!) but it meant that we didn't dent the main finances.
Now as long as we've both done enough with our hobbies that we're on even ground, we can do a few "extra" things now and then. She went shopping yesterday and I didn't worry about the $50 she spent on more quilting fabric and supplies - she worked for it and we're eating. She may ask me to wait if the parts for the proximity locks end up in the many hundreds, but she won't say "no, you can't do that". If I have a plan, we're good to go.
Thanks to her I could retire at my goal age............

Last edited:

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
My wife and I were going for a morning walk. I mentioned that I'd done some more research and found that someone has actually found the key to putting proximity locks into an existing vehicle - that's an option we wanted badly, she has on her GC, and we told the sales guy we wanted stuff like that, but it still never got checked and we missed it not being checked when we looked over the final checklist.
I had done a lot of digging and to a point everyone said "can't be done" or "maybe" but no one KNEW for sure.
I dug again and since that time, someone has DONE IT and shows how. The trick is the dealership getting a code and putting it in once all the parts are installed.
Well, I told my wife - she said "so how much does it cost? Can you do it?" Yeah, all but the dealership's part - that will be the trick, finding a dealer shop willing to actually read the info I found and CALLING the mothership for the info!
I told her likely a day's work as both doors have to be opened and there's a harness to run side-to-side under the dash (that's the hard part). So I'm supposed to look into it.
Then she asked "so will it handle the weight better now with what you did"? Yeah, but the back dropped a bit and a guy has some spacers that would resolve that if he can find them.
"you'd better do that, too".

Years ago when we were both still in full-time jobs we were heading to work in one of my cars - she asked "what would you do if someone hit you while you were driving one of these cars"?
First, I'd cry a bit - then start looking for parts to fix it and hope...........
She said "maybe you should start looking for any parts now so you have them".

I see no problem here.
This, so much man. If you have a wife worth her salt then she'll be open to you getting what you want, as long as it doesn't break the bank... and even then she'll help you adjust the bank to get it eventually.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Shadowspapa has a good woman. Mine is very much the same way though. If she wants something I encourage her to get it and she does the same. If we can’t afford it yet we will save for it.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I told my wife that I was thinking of looking at Gladiators a few weeks ago (the 3 1/2 year old truck I was driving had just broke 20K miles). I didn't tell her that I drove to another state to look at them. And, I guess I "forgot " to tell her that I bought one a few days after that. I wanted to see her facial expression when she came home from work and it was parked next to the "old" truck. She looked truly puzzled as she came around the corner. It was priceless and I had a great laugh. She did too. :LOL:

But, I knew I had a great wife when I dumped 1/2 the cost of the sports car I had bought back into the car for mods. That car only has 14K miles on it now and I actually had to turn a spare bedroom into a parts room. I put up 7 shelving units just to organize and hold everything. And I didn't hear one complaint from her.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I told my wife that I was thinking of looking at Gladiators a few weeks ago (the 3 1/2 year old truck I was driving had just broke 20K miles). I didn't tell her that I drove to another state to look at them. And, I guess I "forgot " to tell her that I bought one a few days after that. I wanted to see her facial expression when she came home from work and it was parked next to the "old" truck. She looked truly puzzled as she came around the corner. It was priceless and I had a great laugh. She did too. :LOL:

But, I knew I had a great wife when I dumped 1/2 the cost of the sports car I had bought back into the car for mods. That car only has 14K miles on it now and I actually had to turn a spare bedroom into a parts room. I put up 7 shelving units just to organize and hold everything. And I didn't hear one complaint from her.
I'm afraid I'm running out of parts storage, need to enclose the shop's lean-to next, maybe sell my WJ. I've started giving some smaller parts away to those who need them for restorations.......
30x36 and 15' ceilings and I'm almost to the top.
She's taken over both spare bedrooms for her quilting and craft stuff, took over the lower level family room with her huge sewing table and another room for her 12' long quilting machine.

Jeep Gladiator No money wifey said hold off stock gladiator no mods help!! shop4
Sponsored