Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Im in Siskiyou county anything south of corning is not nor cal.
This is probably why I get so grouchy when I have to go south of RedBluff? :)
Sponsored

MEOIT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jt Rubicon
Is Corning really a place? I thought it was a bathroom and Olive break spot
Yes Corning is an actual town and not just an olive oil shop and rest area.
I guess if you split cali into three's Yuba city north would be northern California. Central would be from Yuba City to Fresno, and the rest is southern California.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Not quite correct. California is separated by several geographical features along the coast. As a life long and third generation Californian the traditional geographic boundaries between North, Central and SoCal are along the coast, and Tejon Pass. SoCal is south of Point Conception (and Tejon range), and between Point Conception and Point Arena is Centeral California, with NorCal being north of Point Conception. This is how early California was divided by the Spanish before the Americans came in, as the main access to California was from the sea. Same divisions were carried over following Californis Republic days and later Statehood in US.
cheers

MEOIT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jt Rubicon
Not quite correct. As a life long and third generation Californian, the traditional boundaries between North, Central and SoCal are along the coast. SoCal is south of Point Conception and between Point Conception and Point Arena is Centeral California, with NorCal being north of Point Conception. This is how early California was divided by the Spanish before the Americans came in. Same divisions were carried over following Californis Republic days and later Statehood in US.
cheers
those are pretty close to the valley locations I listed. I think we can both agree that Santa Cruz and SF are not norcal.

Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but SF gay area is more north central. You had mentioned Fresno as the divide between Central and Southern Calif., when it is actually south of Bakersfield.

SanFrancisco residents identify more with NorCal than they do the Central Calif. area, as they think of Central Calif, as the Central Valley area east of SF, and the Northern California Spanish Governor was in San Francisco, as Ft. Ross was the northern boundary back in the early 19th Century. California history is very interesting and somewhat involved.
cheers

Last edited:

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I have been literally all over the state for my kid's baseball team. Based on feel, politics, people, customs, etc I would break it down granular like this-ish

North Central Coast - After Sausalito
Bay Area - Inland to Livermore
Central Coast - Basically Pismo to Santa Barbara. You could also argue it starts in Monterrey
SoCal - Ventura to Sandy Eggo
Northern Valley - Somewhere above Sac like Chico
Central Valley - Sac to Fresno
Southern Valley - South of Fresno, San Berdoo, etc

Jeep Gladiator NorCal Gladiator Folk? 1629510751282

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, but Pt. Conception (north of Santa Barbara) is the divide between Calif. south and central coast area, most Santa Barbra people I know, consider themselves to be in SoCal, at least in the 1960/70s. The currents and climate change at Pt. Conception, which impacts negatively on marine traffic rounding the point.
cheers

JoeyD

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Realistically there's only about two or three parts, everybody is going to want to be part of their own segment that fits their personal "feel". The reality is as a state it's really only divided up in two or three and that's it. Anything more than that any you're just splitting hairs and nobody really cares . I live in Northern California in the SF area, nobody else gives a shit beyond that. I've lived on the Central Coast by Pismo/SLO.

Might personally segment it further to separate myself from the valley, central California but that's a personal thing and not relevant to describing my geographical location.

Further, every single time you divide California up, for example, on a forum it starts with northern or southern California anything else becomes regional. Thus, it's really pointless to argue where nor/southern part of California is because if you NEED to describe that then you are going to geographically explain it.

Sponsored

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
I didn't mean to stir the pot I was just kinda being a smart ass with the Corning comment. But this is the most activity this thread has had.

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
We could just devide Cal into what is on fire today and what is not.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
Selling some Mojave takeoffs in Chico(which is most definitely NorCal) if anyone is interested.

BB7E707D-B7F4-44E1-BBD2-E62EFA2E4E32.jpeg

Anderson

First Name
Anderson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tinker Extraordinaire
I know a teenager down the street is looking for some Mojave takeoffs. How much?