Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I have married and un-married a few times and everything else works so it's talking to the Jeep , I can alter the tire size up and down in many different sizes and no matter what it stays 2-3 mph off - That's what's confusing , I'm past the tire size calculation as I did the chalk lines and math that's not the problem , It's the 2-3 mph that's killing me , can't get any closer which don't make sense.
I just did this same thing yesterday after having to re-marry due to a trip to the dealership service for something unrelated. I would put in multiple sizes and drive around the block and it would always be 3 mph. 30 mph would be 33 mph. Got tired of jacking with it and parked the Jeep for the evening. Drove to work today, set the cruise control at 70 mph and it was dead on 70 mph according to GPS speedometer app. My suggestion is to just keep messing with it until you get the right tire size, even if it's not exactly the tire size on your Jeep. I'm running 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers at 33 psi and the measurement it took to get it right was 36.13 in Tazer.

Also, this may sound silly but make sure you're pressing the Cruise speedometer button in the center after each tire size input. The display will then say "Tire Size Set". I wasn't doing that the first few times and it was reverting back to 32".

OP
OP
Mikemann0

Mikemann0

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Mechanic
Thanks Ted , Hopefully no dealer runs if I ever get it right , I'll keep trying but yes I do hit the set button and get confirmation , I can see this is going to get old real fast though.

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes I have married and un-married a few times and everything else works so it's talking to the Jeep , I can alter the tire size up and down in many different sizes and no matter what it stays 2-3 mph off - That's what's confusing , I'm past the tire size calculation as I did the chalk lines and math that's not the problem , It's the 2-3 mph that's killing me , can't get any closer which don't make sense.
I was changing mine 6 inches just to see if it would change. Never did. Swapped the tazers between trucks and problem solved. It was always 2-4 mph off

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
I could be wrong but I bet you're not doing the reboot and (2) full sleep cycles right.

I initially wasnt and started having various problems early on. It wont save your changes etc if this isnt done properly. Bunch of weird stuff happens can happen. I had one reverse light consistently on among other things, etc.

Jeep Gladiator Not thrilled with this Tazer thing.... 0A9DB90F-B73F-4B27-8F9C-2150E49E3D91

Sponsored

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I also had a Tazer & sold it. Key word had.
Am very aware that a lot of guys think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
For me, not so much.

I just didn't like the whole run around process of doing the hoky poky with the buttons/sleep cylces & various monkeying around in order to make setting changes. Then the whole having to be sure to un-marry it if you had to take it in to the dealer for any service or warranty work.
Sorry, just not a fan.

Ended up getting an ECRI which will calculate your tire size as you drive down the road so that you can accurately set the tire size for the speedometer without any guesswork.
The settings are done though an app on your phone, so no more hoky poky with the steering wheel buttons required.
It also does many of the same setting changes as the Tazer without all the run around & sleep cycles.
It updates itself though the phone app, so you don't have to manually check for the latest updates to keep it current which is pretty nice as well.
The best part is you don't have to un-marry anything if you have to make a dealer service trip.

So far have been very satisfied with how it worked out.
Just my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth.

Dave

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I also had a Tazer & sold it. Key word had.
Am very aware that a lot of guys think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
For me, not so much.

I just didn't like the whole run around process of doing the hoky poky with the buttons/sleep cylces & various monkeying around in order to make setting changes. Then the whole having to be sure to un-marry it if you had to take it in to the dealer for any service or warranty work.
Sorry, just not a fan.

Ended up getting an ECRI which will calculate your tire size as you drive down the road so that you can accurately set the tire size for the speedometer without any guesswork.
The settings are done though an app on your phone, so no more hoky poky with the steering wheel buttons required.
It also does many of the same setting changes as the Tazer without all the run around & sleep cycles.
It updates itself thought the phone app, so you don't have to manually check for the latest updates to keep it current which is pretty nice as well.
The best part is you don't have to un-marry anything if you have to make a dealer service trip.

So far have been very satisfied with how it worked out.
Just my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth.

Dave
IMO, the best thing about tazer isn't changing settings. There are better/cheaper tools if that's all you want to do. The live features are very good, and the off-road features are nice. But just to change tire size, it's a hassle. Especially since jscan or alfaobd will do it for 75 counting the cables and obd interface. And the dealership will do it for $125. I agree on the marrying/unmarrying thing, which is why I had the dealership set my tire size. That was before I knew about jscan. I think the tazer is great, but if you're just using it to change tire size, not worth the $219 for even the lite version.

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
IMO, the best thing about tazer isn't changing settings. There are better/cheaper tools if that's all you want to do. The live features are very good, and the off-road features are nice. But just to change tire size, it's a hassle. Especially since jscan or alfaobd will do it for 75 counting the cables and obd interface. And the dealership will do it for $125. I agree on the marrying/unmarrying thing, which is why I had the dealership set my tire size. That was before I knew about jscan. I think the tazer is great, but if you're just using it to change tire size, not worth the $219 for even the lite version.
I'm glad the Tazer works well for your situation.

Just thought I would post my experience switching to the ECRI in case the OP was interested in a very user friendly alternative.

Dave

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
You dont have to unmarry it for a dealership visit. I know ppl say you do. But of course taser doesnt want liability. Think about it. So they have to say that. Its not the case. Unmarrying sets back to default settings on whatever your original settings are.

Prime example. Lets say you changed your settings due to a regear which is a pretty major modification. Unlike a simple tire size change. If you unmarry it then drive it to the dealer with the original defaulted gear setting, you can literally mess your gears up. There was a 7-8 page thread on this awhile back with people arguing this back and forth. Those that think you need to unmarry that have changed gears. Go ahead and drive it or have the dealer test drive it during whatever maintenence on the wrong gear setting and let me know how that works out.

All you do is unplug it and leave whatever is programmed alone on dealership visits.

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'm past the tire size calculation as I did the chalk lines and math
There is no tire size calculation or math. You measure the tire diameter, with the tire on the vehicle, at your desired PSI. Put a level on the top of the tire and measure from the bottom of the level to your floor.

My "thirty five" inch tires measure 33.75".

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikemann0

Mikemann0

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Mechanic
Sarge - I would think I am doing it the right way as it is saving my settings , I can change it to 32"-37" and its off 2-3 mph no matter what ?
Doc - Measured several ways including yours , My 34.25 are really 33.75ish with 35 psi
Kilroy - Wish I'd seen the ECRI I would have done that and may still If I can find one - out of stock - And sell this Tazer thing - Def. not a fan and pretty much over it already , Been messing with it a week now and honestly I'm too busy and have better things to do than monkey with this anymore.

Thanks to all so far !

Last edited:

Kblanton

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Sport S
Occupation
Sales
I don't understand all the marry-unmarry-sleep cycle thing. Mine was plug and play. Never didn't work right and it stays in when I took it to the dealer.

Almost seems like you are looking for it to fail.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Only thing I want to add is if you are using your phone as the gps, to make sure it's not plugged into the usb port of the Jeep with a data cord. I remember reading something about the speeds syncing (phone uses the more accurate speedo speed I assume). Most auto manufacturers also deliberately offset the displayed speed a few mph high just as a CYA. Better to be driving a little slower than the speed limit with tire size variations than get sued because someone was driving faster than the speedo showed. Dunno if those things are in play here, and I havent had my coffee yet so I may be totally off.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
I don't understand all the marry-unmarry-sleep cycle thing. Mine was plug and play. Never didn't work right and it stays in when I took it to the dealer.

Almost seems like you are looking for it to fail.
The unmarry thing when you go to the dealer is just a CYA thing for the tazer manufacturer. It returns all the settings back to the way they were before you installed it. Think about it. Do the jscan guys reprogram their tire size back to stock before a dealer visit?

The sleep cycles thing is basically the same as rebooting your PC after installing new software drivers. It's possible the taser settings you made dont really require it (live functions shouldnt) or you lucked out and did the equivalent in normal use. Still, 90% of the "problems" people post with the tazer end up being fixed by simply following the manufacturer's directions exactly.

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Marrying and unmarrying isn't going to do anything. Issue is the tire size you are putting in probably isn't your actual tire size.

The number itself really doesn't matter, just think of it as a dial. If the MPHs on the GPS is higher than the MPHs on your speedo, increase the tire size in the tazer. If the MPHs on the GPS is lower than the MPHs on your speedo, decrease your tire size in the tazer.

I've used my tazer for a bunch of other stuff. Added proximity door handle to the driver side door, added LED headlights/taillights, set my fog lights to on with the headlights, Auto Start/Stop, ect... The offroad features are good and I"m sure I'll do at least one Christmas parade this year with the lights flashing. It's a Jeep so I'm sure I'll be using it to read/clear DTC Codes at some point...
Sponsored