Sponsored

NOx code, egr replace @29k

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
Just a little background, 06/21 build date with no engine/exhaust modifications. Gladiator is built for long-haul trips, never a daily, and sees almost exclusively highway mileage (cross country trips). At 28k miles I got a brief NOx related code that cleared itself (P20EE). I was cross-country when it happened so I took it back to my local jeep dealership at 31,000 miles and they told me the EGR is heavily sooted and in need of replacement along with some other emissions related parts. Forced regen unsuccessful per the tech. I don’t have the parts list yet because it has not been repaired (parts on back order). Very familiar with modern diesels and surprised to see this much soot accumulation at this mileage with this type of use, being the sole driver and first owner. I’ve never had a regen message appear on the dash. Any thoughts on why there’s so much soot with this usage?
Sponsored

Keith Diesel

Banned
Banned
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler ecodiesel
Occupation
Diesel Calibration Engineer
Only that one fault code? Can you get some pictures of the egr soot loading? P20EE typically is an issue relating to DEF system, NOx sensors or SCR. For a service regen not to run there has to be other codes active, P20EE will not disable a regen.

OP
OP
alpineovernappa

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only that one fault code? Can you get some pictures of the egr soot loading? P20EE typically is an issue relating to DEF system, NOx sensors or SCR. For a service regen not to run there has to be other codes active, P20EE will not disable a regen.
That’s the only code my scanner pulled (both as a pending and stored code), but it’s a fairly basic scanner. I’ll update the post as soon as I have more info from the dealership. I’m just very surprised to hear about soot accumulation to the point of needing replacement.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Why would a regen help with soot in the egr. Post dpf egr flow would help this ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
alpineovernappa

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Updating this: no repair yet, but the parts ordered were the egr valve, the intake manifold, and a fuel line (apparently, these are ceramic lined and are required to be replaced if you remove them due to the likelihood of them breaking, according to the book).

OP
OP
alpineovernappa

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Final update: Source was a failing EGR cooler that allowed a small amount of coolant to mix with soot and foul the intake manifold valves. Replaced EGR, cooler, intake manifold, one fuel line. Will update this thread if the problem presents again.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Final update: Source was a failing EGR cooler that allowed a small amount of coolant to mix with soot and foul the intake manifold valves. Replaced EGR, cooler, intake manifold, one fuel line. Will update this thread if the problem presents again.
Oh no... I hope this isn't something the rest of us eco d owners will need to worry about..

BuckeyeButch

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara, 2021 Gladiator Overland & 2000 Cor
Occupation
Retired
Did yours's have the recall about something with the DEF system?
I'm at 31,K+ early May 21 build was in that recall and haven't had any issues with the fuel system.

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
If you ever look at some Ram truck stuff with the eco diesel you would get rid of yours and never own one again. I had one and it was a complete disaster. I beleive the engine itself is very good, but the emissions on it absolutly kills it. I've seen engines taken apart that had the entire crankshaft oil pasages packed so hard with soot, it had to be drilled out. When I had mine, I was following discussions about your exact problem of the egr cooler cracking, and mixing coolant into where it is not supposed to be, causing bad fires. You probably dodged a big bullet catching yours before a fire. I wouldn't take one again if it had a brand new hundred dollar bill taped to it..

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
If you ever look at some Ram truck stuff with the eco diesel you would get rid of yours and never own one again. I had one and it was a complete disaster. I beleive the engine itself is very good, but the emissions on it absolutly kills it. I've seen engines taken apart that had the entire crankshaft oil pasages packed so hard with soot, it had to be drilled out. When I had mine, I was following discussions about your exact problem of the egr cooler cracking, and mixing coolant into where it is not supposed to be, causing bad fires. You probably dodged a big bullet catching yours before a fire. I wouldn't take one again if it had a brand new hundred dollar bill taped to it..
Are you referring to the gen1 and gen2 ecoD? As I understand it the gen3 was needed to fix the issues you discuss.

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
All of them. It's just a matter of time till the next version will gets it's history of failures. They didn't make hardly any changes to each version, and certainly no physical changes that will make the bottom ends any differnt. They are being discontinued this month. Sure the marketing will say due to vaious powder coated reasons, but it's failure rate. When they do fail they fail big and they are replacing entire engines. No company can continue doing that for very long.

OP
OP
alpineovernappa

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did yours's have the recall about something with the DEF system?
I'm at 31,K+ early May 21 build was in that recall and haven't had any issues with the fuel system.
There was a software update relating to the def injection, which i believe was listed as a recall. It was done at the time of this repair, so no reflash prior to the failure. I wanted real world input on the new software before having it done after seeing how drastically a software refresh impacted the gen 2

OP
OP
alpineovernappa

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of them. It's just a matter of time till the next version will gets it's history of failures. They didn't make hardly any changes to each version, and certainly no physical changes that will make the bottom ends any differnt. They are being discontinued this month. Sure the marketing will say due to vaious powder coated reasons, but it's failure rate. When they do fail they fail big and they are replacing entire engines. No company can continue doing that for very long.
I'm very realistic about the prospect of a GM designed, italian built diesel in a fca-peugeot plastic jeep and bough the max care 125k warranty early on. The ecodiesel tended to have the most issues in the full sized trucks and less so in the grand cherokees, but I agree, the design of the emissions system and particularly the idea of an EGR system is the achilles heel of these. Even if it burns down, the eco diesel is still worth the enjoyment I get out of it. I just wish they offered a more powerful gas motor, as I strongly feel the 3.6 is underpowered for the gladiator application (well, technically it makes all of its power way too high in the power band for my taste). If it burns down, I'll still have my 12valve 1st gen to daily until the insurance check comes in.

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
If I was also thinking if this engine we're talking about has parts sooted up that bad and that soon, what does the rest of the engine look like that didn't get replaced? There's lots of parts pieces and passages.
Sponsored