Sponsored

Off road lights - what's everyone running?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have the big Mopar lights - pointed towards the side of the trail on a warn loop. These are a perfect complement to the LED headlights and fog lights. I am also running VisionX flood lights in the rear bumper (note: I added reflective tape to the mount). Both hooked up to my aux switches. I am very pleased with both.

Jeep Gladiator Off road lights - what's everyone running? d3uDr0

Jeep Gladiator Off road lights - what's everyone running? jW90nn

Jeep Gladiator Off road lights - what's everyone running? 1urNY2

Jeep Gladiator Off road lights - what's everyone running? Bb1okm
Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
It is not very difficult once you wrap you head around it... On my '21 the headlight wire harness has a white with gray wire that is 12V+ hot when the bright lights are on. You can verify with a test light. That wire will go to pin 86 on a relay and 85 goes to ground. That takes care or the signal wire. You could add a switch as one option..... Then you have to send 12v+ through the relay to actually power the light. I have the Aux switch option so under my hood I had power wires already. I use the #3 which had the higher current rating and put that on pin 30. Then Pin 87 would go out to your off road lights as the 12V+. On your lights take the black and run it to a local ground screw or to the Negative terminal on your batter..... Okay maybe it was difficult because describing it wasn't easy. lol
If I am understanding what you are saying - you can flip your #3Aux "on" and then when you flip the steering column lever for high beams your light bar comes on too? And when you flip your #3Aux "off" then your light bar is completely depowered and does not turn on even when you flip the steering column lever for high beams on?

That would be exactly what I am trying to do. Use the steering column lever for high beams AND LED light bar with the option to choose whether the light bar come on or off just using a switch...

Thanks!

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
If I am understanding what you are saying - you can flip your #3Aux "on" and then when you flip the steering column lever for high beams your light bar comes on too? And when you flip your #3Aux "off" then your light bar is completely depowered and does not turn on even when you flip the steering column lever for high beams on?

That would be exactly what I am trying to do. Use the steering column lever for high beams AND LED light bar with the option to choose whether the light bar come on or off just using a switch...

Thanks!
Yes you are correct on the operation. Even better if you have the auto off high beam sensor.

OP
OP

Mdrabz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep jk 2dr 2020 Gladiator overlander pkg
Occupation
Retired
Loyo 4.5" cannons on the front in spot beam and Hella 3" lights on the A pillar in spot beam. Love the amount of light they give off and came in at under $150 for everything including the mounts for the A pillar.

Railroad tracks in the distance are .31 miles down the road, only know the distance because I run on this road at lunch time.

ScooterKrunch

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have Baja Designs Squadron Pro’s in a combo pattern on the cowl slightly angled out for peripheral lighting and some extra down the road. They’re small enough to not notice but big on output. I also have the S1’s on the bed rack with a work light pattern. Loads of light for working on the gate, backing up, or hooking up a trailer. I bet these in a spot would be awesome to hide in little places they won’t get snagged. I’ve had other brands on other vehicles, but once I saw BD I don’t even look at other brands. I just wish they weren’t so expensive.

Sponsored

GreyVenom

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch!
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
I only use KC LED hilites. Nothing compares to their quality and performance. I still have more to add but this is it for now.

816DC6B0-5F9F-4CDF-B0B4-73D60A513DC0.jpeg

612D4C3D-8C6A-44C2-AE87-9A76BEB61D14.jpeg

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
New set up:

Ditch lights: Diode Dynamics SS3
Light bar: Diode Dynamics Stage Series 50”
Chase: Diode Dynamics Stage Series 18” in amber
Scene: Diode Dynamics SSC1

I had KC’s but one of my Flex chase lights inexplicably failed, and then the same happened with one of my G34’s ditch lights stopped working. After a lot of trouble shooting, decided to do a complete makeover. While I can afford it, and they don’t have the brand cache of KC, Baja, or Rigid….Diode Dynamics performance easily rivals those others at a fraction of the cost. Highly recommend them.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
Man I’ve been going back and forth recently on this subject. What brand, beam pattern, mounting options etc. I decided today to run Diode Dynamics 6” bars in a flood pattern on the cowls for ditch lighting. I ordered everything today. As far as down range lighting I’m either going to get some DD SS5 lights for the bumper or a Light bar.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
KC Flex Era 4’s on the bumper in combo spread/spot pattern. Amber lenses on them for snow driving. I remove the amber covers to expose the white with red rings for off road. Oracle reverse lights in the bumper. Very happy with the whole setup.
Jeep Gladiator Off road lights - what's everyone running? 59C47A7C-AC5D-43FD-8F4A-E598146887E8
Jeep Gladiator Off road lights - what's everyone running? D3926270-3345-46B9-825A-9BD052CBBDB9
Jeep Gladiator Off road lights - what's everyone running? F5DC5EF8-8249-425D-837C-8E88ED2446AC

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Man I’ve been going back and forth recently on this subject. What brand, beam pattern, mounting options etc. I decided today to run Diode Dynamics 6” bars in a flood pattern on the cowls for ditch lighting. I ordered everything today. As far as down range lighting I’m either going to get some DD SS5 lights for the bumper or a Light bar.
You ordered Flood pattern for the cowls, a flood pattern should be mounted below the hood to get the best results, lower to the ground. Spot or pencil beam patterns go above the hood. I used to sell lights and test them and from most vendors that's what they recommend. Depending on how you aim those floods will determine how much hood reflection you get from them.

I do have spot beams on my front bumper and spot beams on my coils though. I should of probably mounted a driving light on the bumper but I got the lights for free for the bumper from one of my old Manufacturers I used to buy lights from so I went ahead and mounted them to the bumper for now. The ones on my hood are Hella lights, I've been pleased with both. $50 for the lights and the brackets to mint them on the coil

Lights on the bumper
Jeep Gladiator Off road lights - what's everyone running? PXL_20210117_064146300.NIGHT

Lights on the cowl
Jeep Gladiator Off road lights - what's everyone running? PXL_20210117_064218113.NIGHT

All together
Jeep Gladiator Off road lights - what's everyone running? PXL_20210117_064246284.NIGHT

Last edited:

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
You ordered Flood pattern for the cowls, a flood pattern should be mounted below the hood to get the best results, lower to the ground. Spot or pencil beam patterns go above the hood. I used to sell lights and test them and from most vendors that's what they recommend. Depending on how you aim those floods will determine how much hood reflection you get from them.

I do have spot beams on my front bumper and spot beams on my coils though. I should of probably mounted a driving light on the bumper but I got the lights for free for the bumper from one of my old Manufacturers I used to buy lights from so I went ahead and mounted them to the bumper for now. The ones on my hood are Hella lights, I've been pleased with both. $50 for the lights and the brackets to mint them on the coil

Lights on the bumper
Jeep Gladiator Off road lights - what's everyone running? PXL_20210117_064246284.NIGHT

Lights on the cowl

All together
I spoke to a rep from Diode Dynamics and he said for ditch lighting I should run floods with a light bar or combo pattern with the Pods. These will be aimed slightly to the side. So you think I’ll get too much reflection off the hood? I appreciate the comments. Thanks.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I spoke to a rep from Diode Dynamics and he said for ditch lighting I should run floods with a light bar or combo pattern with the Pods. These will be aimed slightly to the side. So you think I’ll get too much reflection off the hood? I appreciate the comments. Thanks.
Honestly I've never heard of a lighting company suggesting flood lights above the hood and yes I feel like you'll get more Hood reflection from floods than from a spot beam for sure. Bad thing is it's hard to find a light bar that's either all flood or all spot I used to have to have them custom made like that they are normally a combo which is better served above the windshield.

I guess if you turn them more to the left and right it would take away some of the hood glare but you can see mine in the picture and even my spots have some Hood glare if those were floods it would be almost all the way across my hood in the front.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
they will be used a low speed, aimed towards the sides. We’ll see how it goes. If I don’t like it I’m sure I can find another use for them. Thanks again
Sponsored