Sponsored

Official Press Release: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Specs & Photos

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
Of course, you mean American Rubicons. Euro models do, indeed, have a Rock-Trac/Selec-Trac hybrid standard.
European Jeeps are weird and irrelevant. So yes. :P

But realistically it wouldn't surprise me if it happened if the market seemed to want it. But a full time case goes against the purpose of a Rubi in the first place, which was the hard core offroad package. Full time cases are weaker, and a great for crappy road conditions, but generally not as much for rock crawling.
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Rubicons do not have full time 4wd. Period. Never have, never will. It's a traditional heavy duty transfer case.

The NVG241OR Rock Trac transfer case has part time, 4wd high, and 4wd low settings. There is no full time 4wd setting on the Rock Trac.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np241or

The "full time" torque management you are seeing as far as I know refers to the Brake Locking Differential feature as described in this video.

I have not seen BLD referred to as torque management in any Jeep literature or publication. The video you posted uses BLD not Full-Time Torque management like the FCA document I linked to does. I read the entire document that I linked to and it mentions that Ram Trucks use a Borg Warner T-case and Ram Trucks definitely have a 4wd Auto setting. Do we know for sure who will be supplying the T-case for Gladiator? I am hoping that the T-case will be beefier on Gladiator than it is on Wrangler since it will be expected to haul and tow a lot more weight.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I have not seen BLD referred to as torque management in any Jeep literature or publication. The video you posted uses BLD not Full-Time Torque management like the FCA document I linked to does. I read the entire document that I linked to and it mentions that Ram Trucks use a Borg Warner T-case and Ram Trucks definitely have a 4wd Auto setting. Do we know for sure who will be supplying the T-case for Gladiator? I am hoping that the T-case will be beefier on Gladiator than it is on Wrangler since it will be expected to haul and tow a lot more weight.
Good point, doubtful the truck has the same exact tcase as the wrangler, but can tow a heck of a lot more.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Here is a picture of the Gladiator Rubicon T-case lifted off of another thread. It does not look anything like the NV transfer case in the second photo from the link provided above so I am lead to believe that NV will not be producing the t-case for Gladiator. At least it will not be the same one in JL.

View attachment 6596

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 7.26.40 PM.png

tey6lw1oabinl8ilbcrz.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Here is a picture of the Gladiator Rubicon T-case lifted off of another thread. It does not look anything like the NV transfer case in the second photo from the link provided above so I am lead to believe that NV will not be producing the t-case for Gladiator. At least it will not be the same one in JL.

View attachment 6596

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 7.26.40 PM.png

tey6lw1oabinl8ilbcrz.png
They look pretty similar to me, although from a different angle, with different coloration.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
They look pretty similar to me, although from a different angle, with different coloration.
The molding and ribbing of the case is different.
This could be like saying a Mac laptop looks pretty similar to a Samsung laptop, but the insides are completely different. All transfer cases will look similar.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Look closer. The one in the first pic has bolts located on a flange that holds the two halves of the case together. the one in the Gladiator has bolts that pass all the way through the case. Both are a fixed yoke and all transfer cases share the same general shape.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys...no lol. We aren't reinventing the wheel here, it's an updated version of the NV241OR Rock Trac case, now manufactured by Magna as the MP241OR. Literally the same t-case as it's always been, just that picture from Novak is an older version of the case, most likely from a TJ/LJ Rubicon or JK.

The Gladiator Rubicon does not need a stronger case than the 241OR, as it's one of the most exceptionally strong transfer cases currently available for 4x4s, and was designed based on the NP241 that was frequent in full size trucks. It will have no issues whatsoever with 7650lb towing.

JL Rubi case.
20180205120236-bfc4dbb6.jpg

JT Rubi Case
tey6lw1oabinl8ilbcrz-png.png

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Looks like a match to me. Like I said I’m no expert, and I think that proves it. We still have the debate about what full-time torque management means in the specifications document.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like a match to me. Like I said I’m no expert, and I think that proves it. We still have the debate about what full-time torque management means in the specifications document.

To quote a well known Youtube enginerding channel, "marketing wank."

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys...no lol. We aren't reinventing the wheel here, it's an updated version of the NV241OR Rock Trac case, now manufactured by Magna as the MP241OR. Literally the same t-case as it's always been, just that picture from Novak is an older version of the case, most likely from a TJ/LJ Rubicon or JK.

The Gladiator Rubicon does not need a stronger case than the 241OR, as it's one of the most exceptionally strong transfer cases currently available for 4x4s, and was designed based on the NP241 that was frequent in full size trucks. It will have no issues whatsoever with 7650lb towing.

JL Rubi case.
20180205120236-bfc4dbb6.jpg

JT Rubi Case
tey6lw1oabinl8ilbcrz-png.png
Doh, that looks the same. Lol

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I have all but given up on the full-time 4wd option on Gladiator. If the t-case stick had a 4-auto someone would have spotted it by now and mentioned it in one of the multiple videos and articles I have come across. the only other explanation could be that Jeep didn't bring a 4-auto to the reveal, which seems unlikely since they usually bring fully optioned models to the reveal party

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have all but given up on the full-time 4wd option on Gladiator. If the t-case stick had a 4-auto someone would have spotted it by now and mentioned it in one of the multiple videos and articles I have come across. the only other explanation could be that Jeep didn't bring a 4-auto to the reveal, which seems unlikely since they usually bring fully optioned models to the reveal party
I guess I can still buy one. LOL

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's a bit strange too that the Overlands don't seem to have Selec-Trac as an option, since they're more or less Sahara equivalents. I wouldn't give up hope on 4-Auto just yet until we get some more info.
Sponsored