Oh Jeep... Why you so backwards?

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
It seemed to be that automatic transmissions with a manual shifting mode were forward for upshifting, back for downshifting.

Vehicles equipped with SMG, dual clutch transmissions we're forward for downshifting and back for upshifting.

You could buy a Porsche 911 with PDK and an automatic Cayenne and they manually shifted opposite of each other.

Over the past few years, it seems the approach has been to standardize. My assumption is the rise of dual clutch has seen manufacturers flip how the autos do it to better align and make it consistent.

Regardless, it's the way it is. And while frustrating for some, if you use manual mode often, the mental rewiring doesn't take long and you will adjust.
Sponsored

ZoneArc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Manager, Solutions Consulting
Just because something was a certain way, doesn't make it right. Pulling closer to you is more natural when accelerating than pushing away from you .. its more comfortable because it doesn't require the person to lean forward against the g-force pushing you in to the seat.
Also, if you've shifted a manual, you know that when you shift from 1st to 2nd, it's top to bottom.
Think about how you write on a page, in the Western world we write from top to bottom.
Jeep can change it. It's their rig, and honestly, without the context of an older vehicle, this makes more sense in every way.

Gecko John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk8 ,1985 cj8 ,1977 cj5
Occupation
Truck driver
Is there a tuner that remedies this?

From the dawn of creation, upshifting an automatic transmission was done by pushing the shifter towards the firewall in the natural motion that God intended. Conversely, downshifting was done in a pulling motion.

Anyone else having difficulty making the shift?

20211119_101728.jpg

Gecko John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk8 ,1985 cj8 ,1977 cj5
Occupation
Truck driver
I like it I run a reverse pattern shifter on my Cj so it's normal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pescatoral Pursuit

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 F-150, ā€˜15 CTS, ā€˜21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Just because something was a certain way, doesn't make it right. Pulling closer to you is more natural when accelerating than pushing away from you .. its more comfortable because it doesn't require the person to lean forward against the g-force pushing you in to the seat.
Also, if you've shifted a manual, you know that when you shift from 1st to 2nd, it's top to bottom.
Think about how you write on a page, in the Western world we write from top to bottom.
Jeep can change it. It's their rig, and honestly, without the context of an older vehicle, this makes more sense in every way.
If it wasn't an oxymoron I'd say that's some right fine millennial-logic right there.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
If it wasn't an oxymoron I'd say that's some right fine millennial-logic right there.
Well itā€™s logical regardless of a persons age.
The JT being such a huge torque monster does make it difficult to muster up the strength to reach forward to upshift because of the insane G force pinning me against the seat back. Got to strengthen my core I guess.šŸ˜

OP
OP
Pescatoral Pursuit

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 F-150, ā€˜15 CTS, ā€˜21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Well itā€™s logical regardless of a persons age.
The JT being such a huge torque monster does make it difficult to muster up the strength to reach forward to upshift because of the insane G force pinning me against the seat back. Got to strengthen my core I guess.šŸ˜
Well, mine is a diesel after all... šŸ˜„

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You aren't very old, are you?

1st was back, 2nd was forward, then 3rd was back. 4 speeds messed things up for some vehicles, then the 5 speeds came along.

I love the constant references to G-forces LOL - like these actually are capable of slamming you back so you can't push something forward.
Everyone compares to race cars, keep mentioning the forces.
So funny - it's a bloody truck not an 8 second quarter miler.
But if you insist on referring to g-forces and high performance where you have forces preventing your arm from moving forward - refer back to my videos of a race car - 2nd was forward, 3rd was back, 4th was forward, and so on. For every reference to down=forward, we can all find as many with down=rearward.
It is what it is...... but the comparisons to any performance or race vehicle is a laugh.

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
You aren't very old, are you?

1st was back, 2nd was forward, then 3rd was back. 4 speeds messed things up for some vehicles, then the 5 speeds came along.

I love the constant references to G-forces LOL - like these actually are capable of slamming you back so you can't push something forward.
Everyone compares to race cars, keep mentioning the forces.
So funny - it's a bloody truck not an 8 second quarter miler.
But if you insist on referring to g-forces and high performance where you have forces preventing your arm from moving forward - refer back to my videos of a race car - 2nd was forward, 3rd was back, 4th was forward, and so on. For every reference to down=forward, we can all find as many with down=rearward.
It is what it is...... but the comparisons to any performance or race vehicle is a laugh.
I remember when first toward you and down, second was forward and up and third was forward and down. Reverse was toward you and up. Who am I?

CWB

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FLHR, Dodge Challenger, high altitude gladiator.
Occupation
Lithography.
Omg five pages already of ā€œItā€™s right, no itā€™s wrongā€šŸ˜‚
It is what it is, get used to it, if you canā€™t, you shouldnā€™t be driving.
My Volvo is side to side.
Such first world problems.
7322D5D4-7FA9-4EB2-A4CA-605C283DF330.jpeg
924C2A16-6E4A-4452-B5A0-0492627FA2D1.jpeg
Hey donā€™t knock the first world problems of first worlders.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Reactions: CWB

CWB

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FLHR, Dodge Challenger, high altitude gladiator.
Occupation
Lithography.
Thanks for that link. Been too long since I last watched it.
It should be a weekly watch.
The mans got nerves of steel.
Is this the same guy who used to do motorcycle stunts?
Sponsored