Not open for further replies.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I had the 2 inch body lift on the YJ and the 33's cleared but the bump stops had to be adjusted. That was a 92. Nowadays, 35s are ho hum.
Sponsored

lostdd

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 19 Ascent, 97 TJ, 88 Sub, 58 Apache
Occupation
Body Shop Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Don't compare a gladiator to a CJ, put it next to a Comanche or better yet a Honcho and those are single cab trucks. Honcho's were large and they don't have any of the safety features todays vehicles have. The size of the average person is larger and taller than it used to be, more safety is required, creature comforts are expected as well as aesthetics and the wanted options need somewhere to go. I'm 6'3 and love the room I have in my Gladiator vs. my old CJ and TJ, I also have 4 children that can ride with me on the trails, to school, practice etc... Bigger is not always better and each person has an opinion, but this works for me.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I'm consistently surprised when I look at my 1970 Mustang parked next to the Mrs. Klutch Subaru Forester. The Mustang is longer than the Forester. My Mustang is a Mach 1, so it's a fastback. The trunk lid is so small, you can't get more than an overnight bag through the hole. But the trunk itself is surprisingly large inside.

The Forester can seat four adults quite comfortably and a fifth if the adult isn't very big. The rear cargo area can hold a LOT of stuff. The Mustang back seat works for kids, but most adults wouldn't want to ride back there.

OK, I'm biased, but the Mustang has a much higher cool factor.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
1968 911 L curb weight 2,381 lbs.
2018 911 Carrera 2 coupe curb weight 3,153 lbs.

I know which car I'd rather be in if involved in a TC.

Add corvette. Yup sports cars have definetly gotten larger.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
My buddy right out of high school had a '76 Lincoln Town Car that could fit 8 people and a keg. Thing was HUGE! Would not lose in a wreck with my JT.
I remember those cars quite well. My dad's buddy had one with zebra-striped interior. My dad borrowed it for a date and, wanting to be a good buddy, had it washed. Dad left the sunroof open. His buddy didn't even care.

It would seem those gigantic cars of old were so much safer than modern, smaller cars. GM released a video some years ago in which they crash-tested a gigantic, classic Belair and a smaller, modern car. The crash test dummies faired MUCH better in the newer, smaller car. (For me, it was hard watching them destroy a very nice, classic car.) All that "Nanny Stuff" seems like a pretty good idea when it protects someone we love.

Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Dad drove a 'Stang in the mid 60s. Candy apple red 2+2, V8, 4 speed manual and gutted mufflers. I remember watching a Nova try to catch up. Dad let him get about 20 feet back before he stomped it in third. Good night Eye-reeen-ie.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Took a family pic today and really realized how much bigger current Jeeps are from where they began (86 wide track is still wider than earlier CJs). Funny how cars in general have gotten much smaller but trucks and Jeeps have gotten remarkably larger. Some of it I’m sure is consumer driven but a bunch of it is Uncle Sugar knowing what’s best for us and mandating a bunch of crap to protect the public from themselves. Funny since horsepower today has never been more affordable and 400+ Legit HP is common place in all sorts of vehicles. While I love my JT, this pic makes me wish even more it was an extended cab at most and was about a foot narrower.

43BD202C-845D-4B4A-9F76-7ADDBE38C878.jpeg
Take a look at an old garage, perhaps a Craftsman from the 30's and 40's. They are not wide enough for a modern vehicle.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Cars are way bigger now

Look at a Civic compared to one from the 80s, or a Mustang, Camaro, etc

We're missing the land yacht full-size cars from the Big 3 but they've just been replaced by gigantic trucks
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.