Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.usa-oil.net
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
IT Manager
I took my Jeep Gladiator Rubicon for an oil change at the dealership. It is one year old and 10,000 miles. I bought it new and I love it. Not long after getting the oil change and leaving the dealership I end up with smoke coming from the engine and the dash lights coming on, first the oil, then the battery light. I got it to the dealership and The dealer is blaming it on a faulty oil filter and showed me a broker rubber ring from the filter. The problem is oil blew all over the engine. Oil got into the alternator, they cannot get the battery light to turn off and according to them there is now a "knock" in the engine. This happened on Friday. They gave me a loaner and now its Wednesday. I am starting to panic. Can this engine be saved and if not, what are my options or legal rights? I'm calling tomorrow for an update, but my fear is this engine is either irreparable or am I looking at constant future problems and should wait a few months and trade it? Any thoughts or advice.
Mel - I am new to the forum and get to pickup my Gladiator Sport tomorrow afternoon. Having been doing my own oil changes since the early 1980's, i have an issue with how the dealer mechanic may have done your change. Before installing an oil filter, no matter what type of vehicle, you always inspect the location where the filter goes and the filter itself. You should put a thin coat of new oil on the new filter's rubber gasket or ring. It is obvious this was either not done or the mechanic tightened the filter so tight it ripped the gasket or ring in place.

This is definetely a dealer issue, they should be doing what ever is appropriate including replacing the engine. Please continue following up with the results.
Sponsored

cggrau

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.usa-oil.net
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
IT Manager
Hope you let the dealership know.
For all who read this, the dealer has violated the Moss Magnuson Act by telling you your warranty is void if they don't do the work. Harley Davidson just lost a major law suite over this very same thing.

Gladiator Brad 704

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Read thru most of these post. Around here the oil change person is an entry level position at the dealership. I nervously used up my free oil changes and glad I got thru them without this happening to me. Most likely the plastic filter housing was cracked from overtightening or wasn't tightened properly. No matter the cause the dealer is 100% responsible to correct the problem. Just jump straight to getting a lawyer. It won't be long until they ask for the loaner back for some made up reason, ( our insurance only lets us give out loaners for a certain period of time ). Check your lug nuts. Mine were gunned down way to tight even after I complained about it on my second free service. Good luck.

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
I just got my first Jeep Wave oil change... with 9qts of oil and a $50+ filter in the diesel I'm happy to take it. Aside from doing a horrible job dripping used oil everywhere, they did fine. I'll gladly take my Jeep in for my 2 more free changes. Some folks around here have an unreasonable fear of the dealer.

AzGladius

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave JT
Occupation
Electronics and stuff
Ask for a complete engine, not some long block bullshit. Complete assembly, factory assembled. Otherwise, you'll have a dealership tech transferring parts from your already fucked up engine over to a new long block. They did such a great job on the oil change already, I'm not sure I'd trust them to swap parts off one engine to another.

Sponsored

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Nah. People that have worked in dealerships know.
Know what? That it takes a PhD or a degree in rocket science to do an oil change? I’m not denying that people don’t have issues, but tens of thousands of people get their vehicles serviced at dealers across the country without any problems. I love working on my own truck but they doesn’t mean I don’t trust others to work on it when I need to call in the big guns.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
If it makes you feel any better, I had a Grand Cherokee that had about the same miles, got the oil changed at lunch and drove back to work then home after work bout 40 miles. 7 miles from home, the oil light came on and pressure went to zero. I had no choice but to drive the remaining 7 miles to my home after the oil was gone. The next day they came and towed it back and examined the motor, blamed it on the filter seal and said engine was fine. I drove it until it had 60k miles with no issues. They told me that if it failed based on this, they would repair or replace the engine under warranty. I was worried but I never had any issues.
Did this vehicle have that UConnect ASSIST button? If you’re subscribed to it, you would of got a tow truck even if you’re out of cell signal. Too bad that happened to you and you felt you had to keep driving.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Know what? That it takes a PhD or a degree in rocket science to do an oil change? I’m not denying that people don’t have issues, but tens of thousands of people get their vehicles serviced at dealers across the country without any problems. I love working on my own truck but they doesn’t mean I don’t trust others to work on it when I need to call in the big guns.
This post is worth repeating...

As an ASE certified tech for thirty years (retired), I have seen it ALL. From no oil in engines (vehicles coming back on a flatbed with a seized engine) to many vehicles coming off hoists due to the lift pads placed incorrectly on vehicle. One fell from the highest position when it reached the top and then slammed down on the concrete (front hoist arms came out first and then the rear) literally bending the frame of a 90's Buick LeSabre into a U-shape. Scared the living s*** out of everyone in the shop. Lucky nobody was underneath at the time. The car was toast. Unfortunately, these are just two examples of what I have witnessed over the years. And each one involved an inexperienced "lube tech".

flipmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Did this vehicle have that UConnect ASSIST button? If you’re subscribed to it, you would of got a tow truck even if you’re out of cell signal. Too bad that happened to you and you felt you had to keep driving.
Yes I did have it but I was so pissed I knew at that point whatever the damage they were fixing it. I wasn't going to spend the next hour on the side of the tollway at 1030pm in the rain waiting for a tow. The dealership has had great service in the past and unfortunately they deligate the oil changes and tire rotations to the trainees. They gave me a loner and even took me to work the next day.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
This post is worth repeating...

As an ASE certified tech for thirty years (retired), I have seen it ALL. From no oil in engines (vehicles coming back on a flatbed with a seized engine) to many vehicles coming off hoists due to the lift pads placed incorrectly on vehicle. One fell from the highest position when it reached the top and then slammed down on the concrete (front hoist arms came out first and then the rear) literally bending the frame of a 90's Buick LeSabre into a U-shape. Scared the living s*** out of everyone in the shop. Lucky nobody was underneath at the time. The car was toast. Unfortunately, these are just two examples of what I have witnessed over the years. And each one involved an inexperienced "lube tech".
We had one that FILLED the engine so full that it was coming out of the dip stick tube. We had the oil guns that hung from the ceiling on a reel. The guy stuck it in, squeezed the trigger and went to do something else. The rest is spilled oil.
Sponsored