Oil change at dealership led to huge engine problems

dos0711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I've heard of sawdust in the rear end to quiet noisy gears but not the engine! Anywho, best of luck and hope that you have some trouble free miles ahead.
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Update - picking up the truck today. But I am skeptical it is fixed correctly. They changed the alternator. I asked about the knock they reported to me last week and was told it does not have a knock any more and the alternator fixed that problem!

I have never heard of an alternator fixing a knock. I did not talk to the mechanic (tech or whatever you want to call them) but to the check in person (not sure what her job title is). So not sure how reliable this information is.

Years ago, my father in law, a mechanic, used to put sawdust in the oil pan to disguise a knock (it was a short term "fix"). He was a crook.

On these current vehicles I have no idea if there is a way to disguise a big issue for the short term.

Any thoughts.
There's a good chance it didn't actually have a knock, they just heard something they couldn't explain and assumed it was. Like you said, knock doesn't just fix itself, it requires substantial engine work, so if it's not there when you go to pick it up it likely never had it. Wouldn't be the first time someone wrongly assumed the worst after a mistake.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Damn man hoping for the best for you. Mine has been in the shop for 2.5 months now, eta is roughly 3 weeks for me.

New rear suspension, body work, new axle housing, driver axle, and a few other items.

What was fucked on yours that is taking so long?
Started off with just body work, bumper, fog lights, fender. Next was frame and axle housing. That was the biggest wait as there was no movement for over a month before I finally called Jeep Cares and opened a case. Next was engine mount brackets. I can understand the part delays to an extent but they don't seem remotely interested in pushing to get the work done - because their hands are full already and there's someone else's Jeep they can work on while I wait.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update - picking up the truck today. But I am skeptical it is fixed correctly. They changed the alternator. I asked about the knock they reported to me last week and was told it does not have a knock any more and the alternator fixed that problem!

I have never heard of an alternator fixing a knock. I did not talk to the mechanic (tech or whatever you want to call them) but to the check in person (not sure what her job title is). So not sure how reliable this information is.

Years ago, my father in law, a mechanic, used to put sawdust in the oil pan to disguise a knock (it was a short term "fix"). He was a crook.

On these current vehicles I have no idea if there is a way to disguise a big issue for the short term.

Any thoughts.
I have heard in cases like this of the customer being given an extended factory warranty for free. You might want to push for that.

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Started off with just body work, bumper, fog lights, fender. Next was frame and axle housing. That was the biggest wait as there was no movement for over a month before I finally called Jeep Cares and opened a case. Next was engine mount brackets. I can understand the part delays to an extent but they don't seem remotely interested in pushing to get the work done - because their hands are full already and there's someone else's Jeep they can work on while I wait.
Oh RIGHT! I looked at your threads and posted on your accident thread already. Glad to see at least there is a (hopeful) end in sight for you.

Do you have pictures of the frame damage? was it a new frame needed or just banging shit back in place?

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
Yes. Even Hank stopped arguing with me when I pointed this out.
I simply get tired of trying to talk sense into people. It has nothing to do with me thinking you are correct in any way. This will be my last post on this thread as it is mind numbingly ingorant. Now I see the op worried if they would have put sawdust or some noise masking elixir in the motor. Best of luck to the op and yes, almost any rotating assembly can cause a knocking sound. An air conditioning compressor, a idler pulley, you name it. Until you pick it up and drive it please stop speculating as to whether it is done correctly or not. Feel free to live in your worlds of dealers are dumb and the service personell is incompetent. I must live in a Utopia where people do, or try to do right by people at the dealership. I go out of my way to have a good working relationship with my local dealer. For those of you that live in fear best of luck and I hope your worst fears never come true and you have to take your vehicle in for service. No tech is infallible just as we are not. Enjoy your popcorn and flame on or whatever else you guys enjoy in your spare time.

Hank

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, you aren't actually reading what I write.

I never said anyone was dumb or incompetent. I said the flat rate system incented technicians to not actually engage in diagnosis.

You did not challenge my point that techs are paid less for diagnosis (straight time) vs R and Ring a part (flat rate which pays typically 1.5x or more).

You continued to reply thinking I was talking about warranty pay vs customer pay. Which I never mentioned.

Sorry Hank. No ignorance here.

So lets get back to our original disagreement.

Do you agree that a technician is typically paid less to diagnose than he is to change parts??

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800

I never said anyone was dumb or incompetent. I said the flat rate system incented technicians to not actually engage in diagnosis.

You did not challenge my point that techs are paid less for diagnosis (straight time) vs R and Ring a part (flat rate which pays typically 1.5x or more).

You continued to reply thinking I was talking about warranty pay vs customer pay. Which I never mentioned.

Do you agree that a technician is typically paid less to diagnose than he is to change parts??
Just let it go at this point. It's not helping anyone to keep harping on something has been admitted isn't what others are talking about. It also provides no benefit to this thread other than trying to make others more upset.

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.

I never said anyone was dumb or evil. I said the flat rate system incented technicians to not actually engage in diagnosis.

ALL I DO ALL DAY IS READ REPAIR ORDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TRAIN TECHS IN THIS SPECIFIC AREA. I READ DIAG AND REPAIR NOTES ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pages and pages daily. I spend hours talking to techs helping them explain the hours of abnormal diag they perform on a repair order. You saying anything about this topic holds no water with me. It is all I do. day in and day out for 30 years for 35 different dealers all at the same time. We handle warranty claims from Michigan to Seattle Washington. If they do not diagnose the problem correctly the repair can and will most likely suffer. It simply is not true that they skimp on it because it does not pay as well. I did not think this was going to drag on like this but when it is my job I think I have above knowledge in this area. And a tech can make more hours doing diag. They can and do beat book time all the time on diag. I could give multiple examples of this every single day. It is not an anomaly. For anyone to say that is not how they do it and that they cut corners all the time. Then definitely dont go there. Again sorry for all the ranting. No hard feelings on my end. I just don't want people fearing taking their cars in for service. Threads like this are just a cancer. Sorry for lying earlier saying it was my last post. : )

Hank

Sponsored

mojodcat

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTM
Occupation
IT Wizard
heyzeus...

Troubleshooting, regardless of genre, as a soft skill has seen a slow degradation over the last two decades. Most of it systemic in nature as companies of all shapes and sizes are forced into "by the book" learning and training. I've witnessed it in my decades in IT. But I'm lucky enough to be in a position where I can train my guys to walk logically though problems to identify root cause.. but then again they're not getting paid by the hour based on the problem. That's an asinine business model, but I know why it exists.

TL:DR, it's not a automotive specific problem

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Change your oil yourselves people. EFF ' fReE JeEP WaVe oil chANges'.

The Gladiator is the easiest oil change I've experienced in my 47 years. The filter element is on top. ON TOP!!!! Zero leakage! No filter wrench!!!

Underneath? The truck is high enough no lifts are needed....no ramps.

The fill? A 5 quart bottle! So easy!!@

Stop letting orcs service your Jeep. Use the 'warranty' for catastrophic shit...engine failure
..trans failure.... radio breaks....

Good God don't let these idiots touch your truck unless absolutely necessary.
I got 4 free oil changes when I bought my JT. One by the dealer and 3 of the Jeep Wave program. 9 qts of oil, and a $40 oil filter each oil change. You bet I will let them do the oil change. After that, I will do all of the oil changes myself.

Last edited: