Sponsored

Oil change miles -- how often do you change oil?

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I average every 4500-5500 miles
Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
My wife does it every 5K for me.

2DJn.gif
She work at the dealer that just changed mine!?!? ;)
(Reference is to the oil left all over the bay, not the lady in red….)

diesel i imagine can run a bit longer. and i would too seeing the cost of Rotella T6. that shit is liquid gold. i always buy it when i see it for my buddy with his 7.3 bronco.
Rotella T6 does not meet the oil spec.
Cheapest spec oil I have found is Quaker state euro, usually around $5 a quart which is way better than the pennzoil euro around $8 a quart.

though, someone posted the autozone deal for $5.60? A quart end of last year….. have 3-4 changes sitting on the shelf.

Diesel spec is MS-12991 🍺🤯
T6 label-

Jeep Gladiator Oil change miles -- how often do you change oil? IMG_3436

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I really haven't put a lot of thought into this prior to the post....Before oil life monitors I was pretty set on 5k changes. For the TJ with no monitor I stick to that. On all of our vehicles with monitors including the JT I wait for the first warning (I believe its at 10%) and I do the change pretty quickly at that point. Boy, technology has made me lazy :)
In my TJ Unlimited, I changed oil and filter in the range from 4000- 5000 miles most of the time a few times it got close to 9000 miles a few times. But I always use synthetic oil and typically high quality filters. Only a few oil changes not but me in all the years, now it's about once a year since I don't drive it as much. I definitely need to drive it more to wear the tires down. I've changed the transmission gear oil probably 4 or so times.

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
I average every 4500-5500 miles
Same here. I don’t change it until the oil indicator hits 50%. During the summer that was around 3,000-3500, now it’s about 4500-5000

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Same here. I don’t change it until the oil indicator hits 50%. During the summer that was around 3,000-3500, now it’s about 4500-5000
Great minds think alike 🤪

TXJeepDad

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
4x4 / Fabrication Shop Tech
how often does everyone change their miles , I thought synthetic was good for 7k miles ?
For me, it's cheap insurance since i do it myself. Mine is changed every 3K mi, never sees 3001 mi before its swapped. Fully synthetic.
It's hot here in TX, tripple digits way too often.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Change the little diesel at 8k w fuel filter and tire rotation included. Full syn oil, factory filters

Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I only drive this thing about 10K a year, so it's not bad, and I'm not about to trust a goofy electronic timer that measure "oil life" in terms of how long and how many miles ago it was reset.
Besides, the used oil runs great in the chainsaw and I don't ever have to buy bar oil.

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I follow the vehicle oil life notice. My driving varies too much to just go off mileage.

Last year I needed 4 oil changes. March, July, Oct and Dec.

Before the first in March it was done the previous October, so I got 5 months and looks like 6.5k miles. Makes sense not doing much over winter.

4 months later to July we had some travel with towing and only got 5k miles.

3 months to Oct still summer travel/events/etc , 5k miles

2 months to December, heavy travel with towing for a move. Multiple 8 hour round trips back to back. 4k miles.

Seems to “working as intended”, so I trust it.

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I only drive this thing about 10K a year, so it's not bad, and I'm not about to trust a goofy electronic timer that measure "oil life" in terms of how long and how many miles ago it was reset.
a “pentastar engineer” said this on BITOG:

“
Its way more than just hours and RPM. FCA uses oil temp, air temp, load, rpm even fuel type (ethanol %) and more. It's super complicated but very impressive. I'm far from an expert but do know the OEM develops a perfect vs. reality algorithm based on those (and more) factors/inputs. They create a very controlled duty cycle that is basically the max oil life for that engine under ideal conditions. When you drive outside that cycle you are given a penalty per infraction against that perfect cycle (fractions of a percent). For example if you are super hard on it you get a "high blow by penalty" of value __%. Or maybe you ran the engine hard when it was cold AND cold outside (intake air temp data) because you were late for work in January. Resulting in a penalty of ___% kind of thing.

I don't know the specific details of those penalties but I do know (at the time) that is how the algorithm worked. Pretty interesting stuff.”

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
Besides, the used oil runs great in the chainsaw and I don't ever have to buy bar oil.
Wait a minute!!!! Motor oil as bar lube!!! Who woulda thunk of such blasphemy :idea:
Sponsored