Sponsored

Oil Change

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Just completed first oil change.

A little early on miles (5583) but long on months (8 1/2 months since purchase).

A few insights.

First,it is GREAT to not have to get out the ramps or jack and stands to change the oil. I'm big chested and yes, big bellied. But was able to slide under from the front.

Second, have a LARGE oil catch pan. With the angle of the hole, when you get that plug out it's going to go a loooooong way on that first spurt.

Third, 13mm socket for the drain plug. Careful to not lose the washer on the plug, that's your seal. Mine was tight until rotated ever so slightly and then it wanted to fall off. But I didn't reuse the plug anyway.

Fourth, if you're NOT going to go heavy rock climbing of nasty offroading, get a Fumoto drain valve. I got this one http://fumotousa.com/parts.php?partname=F106S&partnumber=44 they are still behind on their years, but someone else on the Board said they purchased this and it worked, I can now confirm this.

Fifth, oil filter housing. If you don't have a 23mm socket (I don't) a 15/16" will work. You will need a LONG extension or a couple of short one's to get in there. A crescent wrench will work, but you'll be short stroking it until you get it off the O-ring.

Sixth, O-ring for oil filter cap. Make SURE the filter you're going to use has a new O-ring. Between my F-250 diesel and my motorcycles I have been dealing with this for awhile. Replace the O-ring EVERY time you change filter. Those O-rings can and will go bad.

Overall, this is a simple vehicle for oil changes. Also threw in my first 5 wheel rotation. THAT is enough to wear out an old fat man.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Just completed first oil change.

A little early on miles (5583) but long on months (8 1/2 months since purchase).

A few insights.

First,it is GREAT to not have to get out the ramps or jack and stands to change the oil. I'm big chested and yes, big bellied. But was able to slide under from the front.

Second, have a LARGE oil catch pan. With the angle of the hole, when you get that plug out it's going to go a loooooong way on that first spurt.

Third, 13mm socket for the drain plug. Careful to not lose the washer on the plug, that's your seal. Mine was tight until rotated ever so slightly and then it wanted to fall off. But I didn't reuse the plug anyway.

Fourth, if you're NOT going to go heavy rock climbing of nasty offroading, get a Fumoto drain valve. I got this one http://fumotousa.com/parts.php?partname=F106S&partnumber=44 they are still behind on their years, but someone else on the Board said they purchased this and it worked, I can now confirm this.

Fifth, oil filter housing. If you don't have a 23mm socket (I don't) a 15/16" will work. You will need a LONG extension or a couple of short one's to get in there. A crescent wrench will work, but you'll be short stroking it until you get it off the O-ring.

Sixth, O-ring for oil filter cap. Make SURE the filter you're going to use has a new O-ring. Between my F-250 diesel and my motorcycles I have been dealing with this for awhile. Replace the O-ring EVERY time you change filter. Those O-rings can and will go bad.

Overall, this is a simple vehicle for oil changes. Also threw in my first 5 wheel rotation. THAT is enough to wear out an old fat man.
You did it yourself, I have been taking advantage of the free oil changes. I had 10 to use in total, 4 jeep wave ones and 6 from the dealership. I'm on about to be on my 3rd in 8 months, just turned over 16,000 miles yesterday

OP
OP

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You did it yourself, I have been taking advantage of the free oil changes. I had 10 to use in total, 4 jeep wave ones and 6 from the dealership. I'm on about to be on my 3rd in 8 months, just turned over 16,000 miles yesterday

Yes, I'm one of those unfortunate people that has had a very bad experience in the past from the ASME school trainee technicians they use for oil changes.

I will be doing my own oil changes and tire rotations.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I'm one of those unfortunate people that has had a very bad experience in the past from the ASME school trainee technicians they use for oil changes.

I will be doing my own oil changes and tire rotations.
I hear that, I've had a couple bad experiences myself, Hendricks in Concord does a fantastic job and I've been using them for at least the last 7yrs. Fast to which is pretty important to me.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I don’t believe there is a sealing washer on the drain plug, the filter is 24mm also.
Sponsored