Sponsored

Okay Fisherman, How are YOU transporting your rods?

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I’m glad I found this thread, been banging my head around for a some time about it. I have a front mounted hitch , so I might look to fab a rod holder up front. Just need room for four 7’ rods. Looking forward to see what everyone post here !

granpappygd

First Name
GranPappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport
Occupation
trying to survive the madness
Heavy box - angled front lip - PVC clamped - 8ft/10ft rods. Drive 2+ hrs. on highway -- i sometimes run a bungee above reel seats (eye hooks on side of box) to *firm* them so tips dont rub if they squirm a bit -
ps: i dragged that box out of a NJ river...double score

Jeep Gladiator Okay Fisherman, How are YOU transporting your rods? Screenshot_20200615-232329_Gallery

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
put them in the back seat, and pop out the rear plastic window and let them hang out the back window (Got a soft top).

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What I have been doing for years, safe storage and travel. I have 2 of my flyrods in smaller pvc one now. You can buy 6in PVC pipe and caps no need to glue cap(s) on just a slip fit stick in some foam to pad in ends. Very good if you ship rods overseas and back. Otherwise I just stick them in one of my boats for the ride. :like: I refer to one as my 10ft tackle box on wheels:giggle:

Sponsored

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Heading down to fish Sunday in Mexican waters and was wondering the same thing as the OP. I hate having the rods rattling around in the bed or out the back window, I think I’m going to build something like @granpappygd has. I might build something for the front hitch.

granpappygd

First Name
GranPappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport
Occupation
Heading down to fish Sunday in Mexican waters and was wondering the same thing as the OP. I hate having the rods rattling around in the bed or out the back window, I think I’m going to build something like @granpappygd has. I might build something for the front hitch.
Jeep Gladiator Okay Fisherman, How are YOU transporting your rods? 20200709_122020
Jeep Gladiator Okay Fisherman, How are YOU transporting your rods? 20200709_122026

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Probably wouldn't hurt to add a couple rope loops on there to wrap around your reels, to be sure they don't go flying out down the road. Better safe, than sorry. :like:

granpappygd

First Name
GranPappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport
Occupation
Probably wouldn't hurt to add a couple rope loops on there to wrap around your reels, to be sure they don't go flying out down the road. Better safe, than sorry. :like:
I *bungee from eye-hook across top of reel seats to hook-- on sides of box

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Yup that's exactly why I never transport my core setups outside a locked car cabin without proper protection.

Theft and vandalism are other issues which I believe some (if not many) of us are also concerned about. Personally i put my gears in bags or covered 95% of the time, even when stored inside the vehicle. Just so they won't attract unwanted attention.

So I'm with the OP as I went through the same challenge after getting the JT. I have also looked into larger lockable cases to be mounted and secured in the bed (e.g. trail rails + cable locks to bed anchors). Maybe let it stick out with the tailgate halfway down. Though I still don't feel comfortable doing so. Hopefully someone else will chime in with other workable ideas. : )
I just recently got some rod socks to also help protect

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Wow, you guys are serious, I just throw my rods in the bed! Might bungee them in place to keep them jostling around. Longest rod I have is a fly rod and it breaks down to fit into it's own padded carrying bag. All goes in the bed along with a couple coolers and tackle boxes.

APTOutdoors

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aptoutdoors.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator - Punk'n, 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Dover Grey Metallic
Occupation
Sys Admin
Wow, you guys are serious, I just throw my rods in the bed! Might bungee them in place to keep them jostling around. Longest rod I have is a fly rod and it breaks down to fit into it's own padded carrying bag. All goes in the bed along with a couple coolers and tackle boxes.
I mean my cheapest rod setup is probably $150 these days, I'm not looking to get that all scuffed up by throwing it in my bed. To each their own but I know the folks with custom rods likely aren't at the very least throwing them in PVC containers with a rod sock. I don't live near the surf anymore, but my Ugly Stiks would likely be a different story. Just not looking to rash up the giant reels, they're $$$.

Browning

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
State Farm Agent
I have a few one piece fly rods so it's a pain to transport them without some type of rod carrier. I went the Rod Vault route and have been extremely happy with it.
Jeep Gladiator Okay Fisherman, How are YOU transporting your rods? gladiator