Ordering a vehicle directly

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Consider this though, being it's a brand new model that everyone wants the dealers could hike the price like they did on the Demons and the Miatas when they first came out.
If you factory order it can they mess with the price after what was agreed upon at the time of ordering? I can see dealer markups once they are on the lot just not sure if they can do that for factory orders?
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
If you factory order it can they mess with the price after what was agreed upon at the time of ordering? I can see dealer markups once they are on the lot just not sure if they can do that for factory orders?
They WILL try. I think the best thing to do is to have them agree to the discount (3%-6% below invoice) and put it in writing. Add the stipulation that if they don't hold the price, they can't keep the deposit.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
When you order they send you a receipt with the agreed upon price. Thats what you will pay, so the can't say "sorry we want more now" once it arrives.

What you do have to worry about and happened to a couple of JL owners is some ass shat at the dealership selling your order to a walk in customer. The best way to prevent this is stay on top of the delivery so you know the day it comes in, and can stay on top of your sales guy to make sure no one "accidentally" thinks its lot inventory.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
What you do have to worry about and happened to a couple of JL owners is some ass shat at the dealership selling your order to a walk in customer. The best way to prevent this is stay on top of the delivery so you know the day it comes in, and can stay on top of your sales guy to make sure no one "accidentally" thinks its lot inventory.
Its funny this would need to be suggested. If I order one, the sales guy will be so sick of me "stopping by" that he will have no way to forget to call me. (but seriously... that would suck so hard to have it sold out from under you after a long wait.)

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Its funny this would need to be suggested. If I order one, the sales guy will be so sick of me "stopping by" that he will have no way to forget to call me. (but seriously... that would suck so hard to have it sold out from under you after a long wait.)
I was thinking the same thing as far as getting acquainted. They'll be so sick of me by the time my JT comes in, they'll be glad to see my new tail lights leave the lot. I'm gonna throw a fukn tailgater in front of their showroom, so the longer it takes to seal the final deal, the drunker my loud friends will be...

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Hope they like Tool, LOUD.

Sponsored

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I was thinking the same thing as far as getting acquainted. They'll be so sick of me by the time my JT comes in, they'll be glad to see my new tail lights leave the lot. I'm gonna throw a fukn tailgater in front of their showroom, so the longer it takes to seal the final deal, the drunker my loud friends will be...

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Hope they like Tool, LOUD.
Post of the year?!!!

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
5-6% off invoice is still pretty good, remember that MSRP is usually quite a bit more than invoice. I'm curious what Dennis Dillon's numbers look like off invoice... I'm in CO so that road trip isn't completely absurd. That being said, I would really like to keep as much of my money in my local community as possible. So... we'll see how that works out.
I'm also in Colorado, and we both know that Jeeps are coveted around here like nothing else. I pretty much have my mind set on going out of state due to expected high local demand for the JT. Like you, I'd rather keep my dollars in the local community but I will not sacrifice thousands of dollars to do so if local dealers won't move from MSRP.

My plan is to email blast local dealers, looking for a deal to match whatever the best out of state pricing is, but adding back on whatever expenses I would incur for going out of state. So if it takes $500 in airfare, fuel, hotel, meals, etc. to get a Jeep back to CO from ID, then a local dealer who will meet Dillon pricing +$500 will get my business. I believe that's a fair proposition, but I fully expect local dealers to maximize profits on a popular new model.

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
^^Same but L.A. here...

Doesn't matter the vehicle, dealers try to maximize profit on EVERYTHING.

Years ago we were buying a Chrysler T&C (don't ask why) for my (now ex) wife.

Shopped locally in NC and best price was $32K for a mid range model from local dealers. Spent a ton of time at one dealer really looking it over since it was, at the time, the most expensive thing I'd purchased to date.

While on business a few days later I stopped by CarMax in Atlanta (they used to sell new Chrysler products) and found a new fully optioned T&C exact color we wanted with mid & rear TV screens for $28K. Vehicle was listed on website for all to see prices and options.

Went back to local dealer and offered $28K for their fully optioned (same as CarMax) loaded T&C on showroom floor. They laughed and said they would lose money on it. Gave the salesman and manager the web address for the CarMax T&C model I'd just seen days before with the price shown on screen.

After they pulled it up they said they couldn't come near that price so I said I'm leaving. Told me to wait...took almost an hour...came back and offered me the MID-range T&C for $28K (down from $32K). For that MID range model I calc'd like $5K of profit BEFORE holdbacks.

Stood up. Laughed at both the salesman and manager and said I'm definitely leaving this time as I have a car to go buy at Car Max. And since the sales process was such a scam, told them that I'd make 100% certain the vehicle was NEVER serviced at their dealer.

Of course they asked me not to leave and called for days. Six days later the brand new Car Max T&C was in my driveway.

Absolutely HATE buying a new car from a traditional dealership and I won't tolerate their BS sales tactics.

One of the discount price out of state dealers will be getting my business on the JT purchase.

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
I’m 9 hours from Dennis Dillon. I would be happy to take the drive as it would be a fun road trip.
How is a place like DD known to be a better deal then others? Do they just sell a ton of Jeeps to make up for it?
I plan to order my JT just the way I want it and not wait for the to get on sales lots

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
My Grandfather who was a mechanic all his life always told me to wait three years before buying a new model to make sure all the issues were worked out. I still follow his advice to this day.

Sponsored

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
My Grandfather who was a mechanic all his life always told me to wait three years before buying a new model to make sure all the issues were worked out. I still follow his advice to this day.
Ummmm....all issues are never worked out. I see your point though. At least this is based off the Wrangler and they've been running that a year so that should help (weld issues for example).

That reminds me of my grandfather's wise quote of "always vote for the new guy...he doesn't know how to screw you over yet!"

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Good for you!

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Ummmm....all issues are never worked out. I see your point though. At least this is based off the Wrangler and they've been running that a year so that should help (weld issues for example).

That reminds me of my grandfather's wise quote of "always vote for the new guy...he doesn't know how to screw you over yet!"
To your point, the first ones off the line didn't have the weld issue... it took a few months before things broke and the welds turned to crap. So... get the first ones off the line, or wait a year. (c:

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I’m 9 hours from Dennis Dillon. I would be happy to take the drive as it would be a fun road trip.
How is a place like DD known to be a better deal then others? Do they just sell a ton of Jeeps to make up for it?
I plan to order my JT just the way I want it and not wait for the to get on sales lots
If you guys buy from Dennis Dillion you need to hit me up and say hi. Im in Meridian which is like 15-20mins away.

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Did you guys see the post on the JL forums where one of the members created an interactive map with the best U.S. dealer pricing?
Sponsored