Ordering a vehicle directly

DMC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
I've never ordered a vehicle but after reading this I'm interested. I found my JK with the options I wanted so a road trip was in order. After calling and confirming the Jeep was there I drove over 3 hours to get it. When I got there Jeep could not be found. After walking every inch of the lot Jeep was MIA. I let the dealership know I was not happy and left. A week passed and they called and said they found the Jeep I was looking for and that it had been transferred to another dealership and they had it back on their lot for me. I told them I was not sure if I was still interested and I asked them if they could lay their hand on it and if they were gonna "help" me out for the trouble. Long story short Jeep is in my shop now going on 5 years.

I also road tripped to get my 2017 Taco in the first qtr of 2018. Left over model. Bought it over the net and drove about 3 hours to get it. Dillon road trip would be fun to fly out and drive back... I need this JT to go with my Taco and JK!

Question though. If you order a Jeep and they give you a VIN how can they sell it to another person? I am interested in getting the one I want.
Sponsored

reedred

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geraldine
Question though. If you order a Jeep and they give you a VIN how can they sell it to another person?
Three ways: you back out, the dealer is overcome by greed, or ineptitude. If your Jeep is sitting there fresh off the truck and someone walks in offering to pay 5 grand over sticker for it, maybe there's a little "mixup" and that person drives off in your Jeep. Or, maybe there's just an honest mistake and they sell it to someone else.

If you place an order for any high demand vehicle, make sure you have the price (or how it will be determined, i.e.: MSRP, Invoice +/- y%, employee or supplier price, etc.), any aftermarket items you will or will not be purchasing and their price, and that you will or will not be paying a premium to get it first in writing, stay on top of the dealer so you know as soon as it gets in, and close the deal immediately.

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
What would the fastest way to get one?

Order one, on the day the banks open, or just wait until they show up on the lot?

IDjeep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangle JK Sport
What would the fastest way to get one?

Order one, on the day the banks open, or just wait until they show up on the lot?
Ordering is always faster. 2019 JLUs are being delivered now. Dealer stock not likely for another month.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
Ordering is always faster. 2019 JLUs are being delivered now. Dealer stock not likely for another month.
Ordering is generally faster, I will say that my dealer has 2019 JL's on the lot right now for sale and has more coming. There is also a way that buying off the lot is faster, Jeep will start producing the Gladiator before you can order a custom Gladiator because dealers will put their orders in ahead of any customer order. So depending on when your dealer gets the order placed and when you get yours they could have them before you get yours. Best thing you can do is talk to your dealer now and have them contact you when order banks open.

Sponsored

DMC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
Three ways: you back out, the dealer is overcome by greed, or ineptitude. If your Jeep is sitting there fresh off the truck and someone walks in offering to pay 5 grand over sticker for it, maybe there's a little "mixup" and that person drives off in your Jeep. Or, maybe there's just an honest mistake and they sell it to someone else.

If you place an order for any high demand vehicle, make sure you have the price (or how it will be determined, i.e.: MSRP, Invoice +/- y%, employee or supplier price, etc.), any aftermarket items you will or will not be purchasing and their price, and that you will or will not be paying a premium to get it first in writing, stay on top of the dealer so you know as soon as it gets in, and close the deal immediately.
Excellent explanation. Thanks.

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @IDjeep and @Jeep_VB .

I have contacted 3 local dealers and I'm going to order one as soon as the banks open.

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

BodhiMac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Im contacting dealer I was working with for a JL, he knew I was waiting on the truck release I hope he does the same 6% below invoice.

Sponsored

Braunsemail

First Name
Braun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler JK Unlimited
Im contacting dealer I was working with for a JL, he knew I was waiting on the truck release I hope he does the same 6% below invoice.
The dealers are on this forum and reading these comments. I encouraged mine that if a dealer was to post here with 6% below invoice pricing they would be very busy with orders.

Canā€™t Wait!

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
The dealers are on this forum and reading these comments. I encouraged mine that if a dealer was to post here with 6% below invoice pricing they would be very busy with orders.

Canā€™t Wait!
I was just thinking this morning about when to contact my local dealer and the best way to say "you do 6% below invoice and I'll be in on ordering day with a deposit"

Englane

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S, ā€˜06 LJ, ā€˜67 Mustang, Indian Chief, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph TR6
Vehicle Showcase
I contacted my two local dealers today asking about order banks and what they could do with price in relation to MSRP/Invoice for factory orders. The first one responded right away with a March timeframe for the order banks, and no movement on price unless you work at or retired from the Jeep plant. Maybe they missed the factory order part? For now Iā€™ll pass on them and hope the second one gives me a better reply. If not, Iā€™d be happy to take a road trip to pick up my truck.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
The tax thing varies state by state, many donā€™t give you any credit for trade in allowance so be sure you know the local rules.
Yes, rule applies to state you reside and register vehicle in. You are liable for the sales tax in state where you reside.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Interesting conversation.

I bought my GC with a predetermined percentage price below MSRP so my question is how do you know what the "invoice" is?
Sponsored