Sponsored

Outside Naked Overnight

It's a long summer night with no rain in sight would you leave your Jeep exposed overnight?

• Total voters

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
So far nothing got in my Jeep. Camera caught a cat wandering around, but didnt go in the canvas and wasn't interested in the Jeep

I have a Rain Gear cover. It is the one that is meant for JTs having lightbars. All that was available last year when I got it. I wouldnt want it to rain heavily, there is so much slack. Im probably not putting it on right
Sponsored

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
My buddy did it once. He never got the smell out from that feral cat pee.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I have my own cats & dogs, they keep the strays at bay. I did see paw prints on my center console, but pretty sure it's from my own. I try my best to keep it under the carport, but still exposed to wildlife. I am more worried about bird poop than mice.

The most annoying animals I have are mosquitos that seem attracted to the Jeep, despite there being no water or people inside.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Chipmunks cause expensive damage. They'll undermine basements, retaining walls, and they've pulled the fill out from under one corner of my shop - I had to have a company come out and drill and fill under the floor. I have river rock around the shop out about 4" from the slab but they move the rock out of the way. So I started packing their holes with concrete - and before it was totally set they'd dig through 6" of the concrete.
I use my B-B gun on them when I can, otherwise, I've set up critter buckets.

Chipmunks can't swim and don't tread water worth a damn. Take a 5 gallon bucket, fill it a bit over half, not over 2/3 with water. Cover the surface of the water with Styrofoam packing peanuts. Doesn't have to be perfect. Then sprinkle a few sunflower seeds on the packing peanuts. Works best early morning and late evening. They don't care for the hot sun. I leave buckets out all summer until it freezes in the fall and set them out in the spring.
One day I caught 3 in one bucket. You MUST clear the dead out ASAP- trust me, I was gone a couple of days once and came back - and, well, I disposed of bucket and all out in our woods and never looked back.
I've caught as many as 8 or 9 in a week that way, record was 3 in one bucket while I was at work - oh, and there was also a mouse in that one. Mice will get in there, too.
But at night the coons come and pull the sunflower seeds and packing peanuts out looking for food.
I set a bucket out by our new retaining wall a couple of months ago - got up in the AM to see a mouse - wet- laying next to the bucket. I disposed of it. Reset my bucket - next morning there was a dead wet chipmunk laying next to the bucket - and then the next day, the same. I suspect a coon was checking for food and the dead varmints were in his way so he set them aside for me to deal with.

Anyway, the critter bucket works GREAT. It's not harmful to your neighbor's dog or kid, nothing poison to deal with, only dirty water to deal with as the seeds fall in and rot. Buckets are everywhere and I get so many packing peanuts when people ship me stuff to restore........
I would bet over the last few years I've killed over 100 chipmunks and a couple dozen mice.
And don't let the "experts" kid you - they'll say "there will be only x chipmunks per acre" blah blah - LOL, yeah, right. When I can kill 3 in a day in one bucket and then the next day get 3 or 4 more in my other buckets? You kill 1 and 2 more come to take their place. And they CUT WIRES on things like travel trailers and cars. They carry wire cutters with them in their pouches or something.
I do the same thing.

Sponsored

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Still waiting on my JT to arrive, but I leave the JL outside stripped down all the time. Only difference is I will park up near the garage because there is a tree out front that constantly rains sap. Wasn’t fun having a sticky steering wheel one morning lol

Jeep Gladiator Outside Naked  Overnight E815D8E2-A09F-4B84-940E-978A648A0511
Love that Mojito. This was my JLUR I traded in on my JTR.
Jeep Gladiator Outside Naked  Overnight IMG_2785

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Chipmunks cause expensive damage. They'll undermine basements, retaining walls, and they've pulled the fill out from under one corner of my shop - I had to have a company come out and drill and fill under the floor. I have river rock around the shop out about 4" from the slab but they move the rock out of the way. So I started packing their holes with concrete - and before it was totally set they'd dig through 6" of the concrete.
I use my B-B gun on them when I can, otherwise, I've set up critter buckets.

Chipmunks can't swim and don't tread water worth a damn. Take a 5 gallon bucket, fill it a bit over half, not over 2/3 with water. Cover the surface of the water with Styrofoam packing peanuts. Doesn't have to be perfect. Then sprinkle a few sunflower seeds on the packing peanuts. Works best early morning and late evening. They don't care for the hot sun. I leave buckets out all summer until it freezes in the fall and set them out in the spring.
One day I caught 3 in one bucket. You MUST clear the dead out ASAP- trust me, I was gone a couple of days once and came back - and, well, I disposed of bucket and all out in our woods and never looked back.
I've caught as many as 8 or 9 in a week that way, record was 3 in one bucket while I was at work - oh, and there was also a mouse in that one. Mice will get in there, too.
But at night the coons come and pull the sunflower seeds and packing peanuts out looking for food.
I set a bucket out by our new retaining wall a couple of months ago - got up in the AM to see a mouse - wet- laying next to the bucket. I disposed of it. Reset my bucket - next morning there was a dead wet chipmunk laying next to the bucket - and then the next day, the same. I suspect a coon was checking for food and the dead varmints were in his way so he set them aside for me to deal with.

Anyway, the critter bucket works GREAT. It's not harmful to your neighbor's dog or kid, nothing poison to deal with, only dirty water to deal with as the seeds fall in and rot. Buckets are everywhere and I get so many packing peanuts when people ship me stuff to restore........
I would bet over the last few years I've killed over 100 chipmunks and a couple dozen mice.
And don't let the "experts" kid you - they'll say "there will be only x chipmunks per acre" blah blah - LOL, yeah, right. When I can kill 3 in a day in one bucket and then the next day get 3 or 4 more in my other buckets? You kill 1 and 2 more come to take their place. And they CUT WIRES on things like travel trailers and cars. They carry wire cutters with them in their pouches or something.
I had no idea those little buggers multiplied like that. What a pain. I'll take my bobcats and coyotes over that any day.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had no idea those little buggers multiplied like that. What a pain. I'll take my bobcats and coyotes over that any day.
About 15-20 years ago my son was visiting and we were both sitting on the couch watching TV - the couch also faces looking north out our walk-in bay window - great view of the road HAHAHA and of the field across the road. The fence row, as most are, sits high of the field and road and there's always tall grass and weeds growing there. As I recall the crops were either out, or maybe it was spring and they weren't up yet, either way, all there was was that open field, and the fence row sticking up across the road. We both looked straight ahead to that fence row and said - look, there's a cat - then it hit us - uh, he's on the OTHER side of that fence and there's no way in heck you'd see even the tip of the tail of a large house cat over there............ no way in heck. (I've got a Main Coon cat and even he ain't large enough to be seen over that grass and the ridge where the fence sits proud of the eroded field and ditch.
Bob cat........ had to be. DNR said naw, it was a house cat. Hmmmm, I think I know a house cat from something that isn't, and at that distance - probably 130 feet, no, a kitty would look pretty small in that grass.

There have been supposed sightings of a bob cat in Iowa but the DNR tends to dismiss them as people seeing large dogs or other cats. Really? With the Des Moines river about 1 miles from us, mostly woods between me and the river, a creek on the edge of our acreage that goes right to the river and is surrounded by trees, the river bottoms just a short distance and then the Red Rock reserve?
I'm no Ranger Gord but I know kitties and dogs when I see them.

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
I don't remember the last time my windows were in my JK. I'm in southern AZ and it's outside day/night, winter/summer, etc. It's holding up pretty well for a 2008 with 160k on it.

So far I haven't taken the top off of the JT. :)

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
About 15-20 years ago my son was visiting and we were both sitting on the couch watching TV - the couch also faces looking north out our walk-in bay window - great view of the road HAHAHA and of the field across the road. The fence row, as most are, sits high of the field and road and there's always tall grass and weeds growing there. As I recall the crops were either out, or maybe it was spring and they weren't up yet, either way, all there was was that open field, and the fence row sticking up across the road. We both looked straight ahead to that fence row and said - look, there's a cat - then it hit us - uh, he's on the OTHER side of that fence and there's no way in heck you'd see even the tip of the tail of a large house cat over there............ no way in heck. (I've got a Main Coon cat and even he ain't large enough to be seen over that grass and the ridge where the fence sits proud of the eroded field and ditch.
Bob cat........ had to be. DNR said naw, it was a house cat. Hmmmm, I think I know a house cat from something that isn't, and at that distance - probably 130 feet, no, a kitty would look pretty small in that grass.

There have been supposed sightings of a bob cat in Iowa but the DNR tends to dismiss them as people seeing large dogs or other cats. Really? With the Des Moines river about 1 miles from us, mostly woods between me and the river, a creek on the edge of our acreage that goes right to the river and is surrounded by trees, the river bottoms just a short distance and then the Red Rock reserve?
I'm no Ranger Gord but I know kitties and dogs when I see them.
We have 1 or 2 pretty healthy bobcats in our neighborhood. The largest I've seen was about the size of a cocker spaniel. Someone in our neighborhood got a photo of a huge one strolling (not running) across the street in front of their car. They had to stop while it crossed. That thing was massive. My wife and I will sometimes see the babies playing in the landscaping around our neighborhood if we take walks around sundown. They're actually beautiful cats.

Then we have our TX coyotes. Picture Wylie Coyote from the cartoons, just not as smart (insert sarcasm) or stealthy. We see them constantly, helping out to curb our rabbit and squirrel population.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We have 1 or 2 pretty healthy bobcats in our neighborhood. The largest I've seen was about the size of a cocker spaniel. Someone in our neighborhood got a photo of a huge one strolling (not running) across the street in front of their car. They had to stop while it crossed. That thing was massive. My wife and I will sometimes see the babies playing in the landscaping around our neighborhood if we take walks around sundown. They're actually beautiful cats.

Then we have our TX coyotes. Picture Wylie Coyote from the cartoons, just not as smart (insert sarcasm) or stealthy. We see them constantly, helping out to curb our rabbit and squirrel population.
Rabbit population sort of dropped here the first couple of years after we moved in (fine with me) and about that time I heard what was not ordinary dogs calling in the evening or early morning. I asked a neighbor - yup, coyote. They said they were sitting having breakfast early one morning and they saw a deer go running past their kitchen window. That isn't unusual, but what was was the speed at which it was running - and the 2 or 3 coyote chasing behind it. They said it wasn't more than 40 feet from their window.
I hear them now and then but not nearly as much as I used to.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Took the front doors off last weekend, weather looked decent for this week.

We don't leave much inside that can't fit in the glovebox or center console, both locked. Backpack with towels, a first aid kit, and various crap under the rear seat. Parked in the driveway that's well-lit.

Yesterday and today have been cloudy/overcast and barely hitting 70*. :|

Likely going to order some tube doors in the near future.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
When my top and doors are off they stay off.

My top was off from February to May this year

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
We don't leave much inside that can't fit in the glovebox or center console, both locked. Backpack with towels, a first aid kit, and various crap under the rear seat. Parked in the driveway that's well-lit.
My underseat storage is packed with stuff. But it's all Harbor Freight cheap tools that can be replaced easily and cheaply should I ever have to. The winch controller and other more valuable items (any one item over $50 to replace) gets locked in some manner. The back doors stay on because of the kid's seat and blanket, tarps, straps, etc I keep behind the driver seat. If I lived/worked in an environment where I couldn't see my Jeep on demand in a couple seconds, I'd probably reconnsider having the front doors off.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Still waiting on my JT to arrive, but I leave the JL outside stripped down all the time. Only difference is I will park up near the garage because there is a tree out front that constantly rains sap. Wasn’t fun having a sticky steering wheel one morning lol

Jeep Gladiator Outside Naked  Overnight IMG_2785
Long ago, when I had my 1963 Split Window Stingray.... I experienced a sticky Steering wheel too........
Sponsored