Sponsored

Overall who's pretty pleased with the power output of their Gladiator

WVBKW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon - 2020 F350 KR
Yeah the Rangers 2.3 has got more guts, I guess that's why it can tow 3500lbs and my Max Tow can tow 7600lbs, that's sounds about right.

Actually all Ranger Supercrews are Rated to tow 7500 lbs and the Ranger has 310 lb/ft of torque vs 260.
That said I would not tow 7500 lbs with either of them, but that’s just me.

None of which I knew until I looked it up after your smart ass post. I just know I drove a ranger FX4 as a loaner while I was having my oil changed and was surprised by the power.
Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
How'd you solve the heat problem? Any other mods to support the bigger engine?
New engine, new tranny, new bigger radiator, new stronger radiator fan, and separate tranny cooler. Temp gauge stays right where it always stayed, however we will see how it does once “Hotlanta” reaches its full hot potential this summer and I have the a/c cranked, so more to come.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Actually all Ranger Supercrews are Rated to tow 7500 lbs and the Ranger has 310 lb/ft of torque vs 260.
That said I would not tow 7500 lbs with either of them, but that’s just me.

None of which I knew until I looked it up after your smart ass post. I just know I drove a ranger FX4 as a loaner while I was having my oil changed and was surprised by the power.
I was just giving you crap dude, it's all good. I figured I'd do it before some of the other less tastefull comments come along. If they made this one in America it would be in my garage right beside the gladiator

Jeep Gladiator Overall who's pretty pleased with the power output of their Gladiator Ford-Ranger-Raptor-AU-Pricing-gear-patrol-lead-full

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/01/04/ford-ranger-raptor-mustang-v8-australia/

WVBKW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon - 2020 F350 KR

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
and just to be clear I wasn’t saying I prefer the ranger in anyway. The gladiator is so much cooler. I was just surprised by the ranger.
I was too, but not in a good way... Me & my kid checked out every midsized pickup available & the only 2 that she was comfortable enough for a road trip in the back sear of was the Ranger & the Gladiator (shes tall). Test drove the ranger first. It was fairly quick & rode smooth. But otherwise it felt like I was driving a subaru. Just very a very blah experience. For some people that may be what they prefer, but not my cup of tea.

Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
I test drove the Ranger immediately after the Gladiator at the same dealer and came away with the feeling that the Ranger needs some refinement. The engine was soooo loud that my wife practically had to shout sitting in the back seat. I don’t know if that was just the XLT we tested or what. The Gladiator was just so much more smooth. I felt disappointed stepping out of the Ranger afterwards, it was probably my top choice when I started looking at mid size pickup. But I have no regrets sitting in my first Jeep, still have smiles every time I’m in the Gladiator. It’s surprising what you find out when you go through the whole test driving gamut.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The Ranger is why I'm not afraid of turbos in smaller trucks. That engine with the 8 speed would be a perfect combination because my biggest mechanical complaint on the Ranger was it hunting for gears at highway speeds - even worse than the 6AT Tacoma does. Having three OD gears with that deep of a 10th gear on a 3.73 rear end was a very poor choice.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
The Ranger is why I'm not afraid of turbos in smaller trucks. That engine with the 8 speed would be a perfect combination because my biggest mechanical complaint on the Ranger was it hunting for gears at highway speeds - even worse than the 6AT Tacoma does. Having three OD gears with that deep of a 10th gear on a 3.73 rear end was a very poor choice.

Best possible fuel economy per the specific vehicle is the manufacturer forced main goal. 4.10 gears and less one or two ODs may make more enjoyable driving experience in the Ranger but at a MPG penalty.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Best possible fuel economy per the specific vehicle is the manufacturer forced main goal. 4.10 gears and less one or two ODs may make more enjoyable driving experience in the Ranger but at a MPG penalty.
Exact same problem and reason with the Tacoma which has an even deeper 6th gear.

On the plus side, you can throw 4.88's in a bone stock Tacoma and it feels like any other AT on the road going down the freeway.

Sponsored

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
It feels much smoother and has a better feel when shifting than my 13 JKU with the same engine. The transmission makes all the difference. It feels lighter and more comfortable and I've been impressed with it's flat cruising speed.

That said, they could do so much more with this engine. My wife's Volvo has 330hp out of a 2 liter 4 cylinder, it is heavier, gets 26 mpg and is rated to tow 7500 lbs with a 60 time of just over 6 seconds.

The technology exists, I believe they could have done more (and have in other applications). Overall it's a truck, and a Jeep, so I really can't complain.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was just giving you crap dude, it's all good. I figured I'd do it before some of the other less tastefull comments come along. If they made this one in America it would be in my garage right beside the gladiator

Ford-Ranger-Raptor-AU-Pricing-gear-patrol-lead-full.jpg

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/01/04/ford-ranger-raptor-mustang-v8-australia/
If FCA could take a lesson from Ford Racing, they need to get SRT to design a lightweight all-aluminum steel-sleeved smaller-discolacement high HP & TQ Hemi V8 (like the 5.0 Coyote, which actually has hemispherical heads with DOHC’s) to go into the Gladiators and JL’s.

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Overland
I mean knowing it's a midsized truck, knowing since it's a jeep I was going to have to pay a premium for it, overall I've had very little to complain about on mine. Going into the purchase and using my other Jeep wranglers and Jeep's I've owned as a bases, I got to say this thing really performs and does everything I need it to do for me. I'm glad I got the Max tow because I feel like that's something that I will definitely take advantage of. Overall this to me is a solid truck and it's a Jeep so to me win win, I'm Happy!:rock:
Very pleased. I wanted a Tacoma until I drove it and was disappointed. Was test driving a Z71 Colorado when I saw a Gladiator on the road and knew that is what I wanted so long as it drove well. Went straight from Chevy dealer to Jeep and test drove one and loved it. Brought my better half for the second test drive and she liked it as well. She's not into cars at all but said it was a good looking tuck that didn't look like all the rest.

For me this is the perfect blend of power ruggedness and looks. I am very happy now and expect to be that way for years to come.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If FCA could take a lesson from Ford Racing, they need to get SRT to design a lightweight all-aluminum steel-sleeved smaller-discolacement high HP & TQ Hemi V8 (like the 5.0 Coyote, which actually has hemispherical heads with DOHC’s) to go into the Gladiators and JL’s.
I don't mean to be a downer and rant but it will never happen. CAFE ratings have effectively killed the American V8 except in special high-performance applications where manufacturers are willing to take a small hit for nostalgia. FI engines can be made to be better in every conceivable way if built properly (e.g. properly sized turbos to give power at the right spots) and are naturally a more efficient design so you can maintain cruise MPG numbers while still giving top end kick.

There's a reason the Raptor and GT have a turbo V6 instead of a V8 in them. If FCA took a note from Ford, they'd be pushing the 2.0L turbo and not the 3.6L because these aren't performance vehicles.

It's just like the manual transmission... people may love them (myself included) but they're now inferior in nearly every way to modern automatics. People can be elitist and brag about controlling their vehicle but with all the other nanny systems you have with ABS, traction control, BLD, and now automatic braking - it's hard not to laugh.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
New engine, new tranny, new bigger radiator, new stronger radiator fan, and separate tranny cooler. Temp gauge stays right where it always stayed, however we will see how it does once “Hotlanta” reaches its full hot potential this summer and I have the a/c cranked, so more to come.
Comfortably cruises at 85-90 at 2000 rpm with no steering issues.

Sponsored